Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

After a bit of a hiatus from Overland Bound and Overlanding in general; I'm starting to get the bug again. I have a previous build thread that died due to running out of time and money. I ended up building a "less than ideal" solution to get me through the trip. I'm calling that V1. I saw the potential, shortcomings, and generated a lot of ideas. The original thread can be found here. An image of what I built is below.

20191031_163441.jpg

I'm going into this project with more experience in building as well as traveling so hopefully that should lead to a better outcome this time around! That being said, this project has a modified scope to the previous version. The system that I envision has 2 components. The first piece is a solid base that can be tightly secured into the vehicle. This piece will have a leg mechanism that allows it to be removed from the vehicle, fully loaded, by one person (think ambulance gurney). This will probably be 80/20 as was previously planned but may end being welded aluminum square tube.

The second component is the drawers built onto the frame. The idea here is that the frame can be standard for the vehicle, then I can build application-specific organizers for the trunk that can be "hot-swapped" depending on what I'm using the vehicle for.

The next steps are to do some sketches to more clearly convey my idea and then build some kind of MVP (Minimally Viable Product) out of cheap materials as a proof of concept. Thanks for reading!