Moderate GX470 build suggestions

• HTML tutorial

squatchgx

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
My wife and I recently decided to start more long term vacation overlanding. We have. 2005 GX470 that is mainly stock and will be pulling a borderlands trailer. Our goal is access to scenic remote areas not necessarily rock crawling for the sake of it. We live in SE Georgia but will travel all over the west as well as shorter weekend trips all over the east. I am looking for advice on priorities for upgrading the GX knowing that the trailer will limit us to moderate off-roading. We are traveling with our 2 year old and two dogs so that is also a consideration on how far we can go for a bit.

Currently have:
Full skid plate set from bud built
12v air compressor and patch kit
Medium level med kit (will probably piece together an expanded one)
Maxtrax recovery boards
Shovel
Hi-lift
Small tool kit

Trailer has:
30 gal water with skid
Solar power
Kitchen
Nothing hangs below axle

Seriously considering:
Sliders
Front bumper
Winch
(I am not sure if all this would be too heavy for stock suspension though) or if the winch and bumper would really be where I should spend the money now.

Not sure if I have the budget in the near future for much else like suspension but am I missing anything more important? Any other advise (can't afford much more than 2-3k more right now).

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

I think you forgot tough off-road tires, which would be my number one recommendation.

Also, I'd wait 'n see about the front bumper and winch kind of things. I'm not sure you're really going to need them. They'll cost and weigh a lot.

Reactions: Graeman

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Spending that much time in the vehicle with a 2 year old and 2 dogs I would concentrate on things that will make the trip more comfortable and make camp more efficient.

Reactions: MBroenkow

squatchgx

Rank 0

Traveler I

Georgia
Sorry, forgot already have decently tough cooper off road tires/spare. The comfort is basically why we went with the trailer. Have shower/heated water, pull out kitchen etc. basically enough comfort to ensure we can continue exploring with wife and kid but not to much to take away from the point of exploring.

Reactions: MBroenkow