Moab to Flagstaff Overland Route to attend Overland Expo West, May 7-11

• HTML tutorial

BoiseUZJ100

Rank I

Contributor III

Looking for information on an Overland Route from Moab to Flagstaff, AZ. I think it would be a great trip in May and a great way to start the Overland Expo. Please contribute to the thread any information or experiences on a trail that would work for this adventure.

I will be attending Cruise Moab and wanted to Overland from Moab to Flagstaff to attend Overland Expo West. Would be leaving Moab on the mid morning of the 7th and arrive Flagstaff evening of the 10th or Morning of the 11th NLT 11am to get to Overland Expo to setup our booth.

Anyone wanting to do this, please post in this thread.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Look at the Utah BDR route. Then you can make up some stuff from the AZ BDR route to get you there.

BUT!!!! Likely a lot of snow on some of the sections south of Moab so you may have to pick some up passed the higher elevations.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
What's up! We're planning the same thing. Cruise Moab to Expo. Leaving Moab Sunday morning and hoping to hit as much dirt til we hit Flagstaff.

BoiseUZJ100

Rank I

Contributor III

Route has been roughed out. Details will be finalized in the next week.

Basically we are doing the lower part of the UTBDR and the upper part of the AZBDR.

Leave Moab mid morning of May 7th after a great breakfast at the Moab Diner

Head out to La Sal Pass or Lockhart Basin to Monticello - (TBD) - Skill Lvl, Vehicles,

Monticello to Mexican Hat (Start of UTBDR, End for us).

Mexican Hat to Ojato

Ojato to House Rock Valley Road

House Rock Valley Road to Stateline Campground (end of AZBDR, Start for us).

Follow the AZBDR all the way to Winona and then get on I-40 to Flagstaff .

Anyone wanting to go on this with me, please post up.

Reactions: QCrunner

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Only problem you will have is the mountain to the west of Monticello on the route. You can bypass that and come around via pavement to Monticello and then rejoin to the south. Free camping on House Rock Rd at the State Line campground on the north end. Condor look out on the south end. Sometimes there are researchers there who you can talk to about how they track the Condors. I would HIGHLY recommend camping out on the Little Colorado but you have to get a permit from the Navajo Reservation by mail or in person in Cameron. Recommend trying to get one by mail ASAP otherwise you would have to backtrack once getting the permit.

BoiseUZJ100

Rank I

Contributor III

Only problem you will have is the mountain to the west of Monticello on the route. You can bypass that and come around via pavement to Monticello and then rejoin to the south. Free camping on House Rock Rd at the State Line campground on the north end. Condor look out on the south end. Sometimes there are researchers there who you can talk to about how they track the Condors. I would HIGHLY recommend camping out on the Little Colorado but you have to get a permit from the Navajo Reservation by mail or in person in Cameron. Recommend trying to get one by mail ASAP otherwise you would have to backtrack once getting the permit.
Thanks, that is some great information. I will pursue that permit asap.

BoiseUZJ100

Rank I

Contributor III

What's up! We're planning the same thing. Cruise Moab to Expo. Leaving Moab Sunday morning and hoping to hit as much dirt til we hit Flagstaff.
That is awesome. Look forward to meeting you at Moab. I am on the San Rafael Swell overnight run but will be setup for Vendor night. I work for The Activity Group, we make and sell serious Trauma and Medical kits. my email is boiseuzj100@gmail.com
If you email me, I will send you the in depth trip route. We can put our inputs together to make it an awesome trip.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
That is awesome. Look forward to meeting you at Moab. I am on the San Rafael Swell overnight run but will be setup for Vendor night. I work for The Activity Group, we make and sell serious Trauma and Medical kits. my email is boiseuzj100@gmail.com
If you email me, I will send you the in depth trip route. We can put our inputs together to make it an awesome trip.
Cool, we're doing the Swell overnighter as well!

Livin the life

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Arizona
Member #

I will be heading up to Utah from Flagstaff so knowing the route back up would be nice as well. I will be leaving the Expo and going to see SP Crater first and then heading somewhere in Utah just don't have it planned yet.