Moab during July!

• HTML tutorial

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Was kind of kicking around the idea of going to Moab the week of July 4th, which would be july 2nd through the 7th. Never been to Moab, was gonna buy the trek fun book or whatever it is and go up there for that week.

Figure it's gonna be busy, but does anyone know what the climate will be like? And how many people have run white rim? Also are dogs allowed? (That kinda makes or breaks this trip) and if anyone is in the area and wants to tag along, you're more than welcome to!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Scott nunn

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
HOT! Damn hot. Likely won't be crowded. I have a friend that lives there and he moves out from Memorial Day to Labor Day because it's too hot.

And for White Rim you'll need a permit unless you're going to drive the whole thing in a day, which is not a good idea in July. At any rate, you need to let the rangers know that you'll be on W/R, they want to know.

Not sure about the dog thing but Moab is a very dog-friendly town. Check with the rangers, but I'd be really surprised if dogs were not allowed.
Summer is not the best time to go but if you do go, the LaSalle mountains are at higher elevation and will be a little cooler. Not the red-rock scenery, but still beautiful.

And you can do a river raft trip that's pretty fun. Summer is a little more calm than most people like but it's a break from the temp to jump in the river.

Dan.

Reactions: druff6991

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

It's really not crowded during July 4th? That's actually surprising.

As for the heat, me and dogs are from south new Mexico and West Texas, it's nothing new for us [emoji16]

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I believe that summer is the slow season due to the heat.

Expanded efforts to increase tourism might have changed that but when I've been there in the summer time, it's been pretty slow.

There wasn't any special events going on because of the 4th holiday I think.

You could check Moab chamber of commerce, I think they have a schedule of public activities that draw people.
Along with outdoor recreation, there's a real artist element going on there now.
Before you know it, marijuana will be legal there. In UTAH! go figure.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I've been there twice in July...
The first time, yes it was hot!!! Make sure to drink plenty of Water. More than you normally would.
The second time... This past summer, it rained the whole time we were there. It was perfect.
Either way, find a couple of the water holes you can jump into. They are well worth the time to find them.

And, it wasn't empty, bet it most definitely wasn't crowded.

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Just saw one of the rules and it raises a question. What difference would it make if the animals stayed in the truck?

Looks like I'll stay off white rim

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #