Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Corrie

Minimalism and Overlanding

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Written by Graeme Bell
Photos by Luisa and Graeme Bell
[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]Back in the day, when I was a functioning member of society, I would spend every Saturday at my favorite hardware store. It was call De La Reys and now that I have traveled much of the world I realize that it was an incredibly well stocked and managed store.

As my income grew so did my “needs” and De La Reys could rely on me dropping a grand every weekend on a new angle grinder, generator, air compressor, spray paint, a socket set, axle stands, assorted tools, boerewors rolls, cheeseburgers and storage boxes. Soon my garage was full so the only logical step was to get another garage which was too big and needed more stuff to fill it. [/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image="26494" img_size="large" alignment="center" style="vc_box_rounded"][vc_column_text]So I bought a Range Rover Classic and a South African military Series 3 R6 with a 4.1 Chevrolet engine. Then I bought a new Volvo V50 station wagon without trading in my Fiat Sienna 1.1L runabout and a Defender 130 for long overland journeys. Old Land Rovers need to be filled with camping gear and spare parts and equipped with mud tyres and road tyres and new wiring and fuel, each vehicle required services and annual registration renewal and insurance.

While I was busy filling the garage, my wife Luisa took to filling the new house which boasted 180 degree sea views, 4 en suite bedrooms and two living rooms. Our stuff had stuff and when we were feeling down we bought more stuff to fill holes stuff can’t fill. [/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image="26497" img_size="large" add_caption="yes" style="vc_box_rounded"][vc_column_text]Luisa’s Dad passed away suddenly after a short life and before he could fulfill his dream of traveling the world. In his honor we packed the Defender, took the kids out of school, organized a house sitter and set off for Kenya from Cape Town overland. Those six months on the road were incredibly difficult as we struggled with African bacteria and a suspension crushed by stuff, but it was also the greatest experience of our lives.

We returned home and soon began planning to drive our Defender from Argentina to Alaska; overlanding is addictive and it fills the holes stuff can’t fill. We stumbled on a well known secret as we sold almost everything we had and bought no more - less is more. Our bank accounts filled as we sold stuff for a loss and bought only what we needed. Luisa’s Dad had tried to teach us about Minimalism and it was a lesson which we eventually learned and which allowed us to fulfill our dreams.[/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image="26492" img_size="full" add_caption="yes" alignment="center" style="vc_box_rounded" css_animation="fadeIn"][vc_column_text]Now we live as minimalists, completely. Everything we own and treasure fits in the back of our self built Defender camper and we travel the planet on a budget of $2500 a month which covers all expenses for a family of four. We have travelled four continents extensively and would not have been able to if we were not minimalists!

Here are a few tips based on our experience.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]
  • Cry once. Buy the best quality product you can afford. Yes you can still have stuff, in fact you can have the very best stuff available on the market. Think Rolex - a watch to last a lifetime and be inherited.
  • Buy only what you need. How you define “need” is up to you but unless it is something you will use at least once a week, you probably do not NEED it.
  • Sort your possessions and sell what you do not need and use the proceeds to pay debts or deposit in a fixed savings account.
  • Buy products which are versatile and serve dual purposes.
  • Pay cash - credit cards are for emergencies, not purchases. If it is worth having it is worth saving for and debt is an anchor. But, if you have self control, a credit card can be a great asset. You will usually earn interest if you have a positive balance and you will not be charged transaction fees. And the better you manage your account the higher the credit limit will become.
  • Buy local. Support small companies and tradesman who are struggling to compete with the online beasts who would rather sell you limited life, one size fits all crap.
  • Learn to maintain and repair your vehicle and gear. Not only will you save money but you will also learn to love your gear and the satisfaction of a successful repair.
  • Cook your own food. Men, this applies to you too. Eat vegetables and once a week grill a big, fat, juicy steak. Wash that down with a good red wine or cold beer. Eating out should be reserved for special, once a month occasions.
  • Drink water.
  • Have a dream and a goal and live towards that goal. Living as minimalists has enabled us to achieve our dream of traveling the planet overland. We have swapped possessions for experiences.
  • Rent don’t buy.

[/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image="26493" img_size="full" add_caption="yes" style="vc_box_rounded"][vc_column_text]Work less, live more.

Visit www.a2aexpedition.com to find out more about the Bell family, their travels and their books.

Pictured Below
  1. A fresh catch provides a meal.
  2. Barber shop on the Amazon.
  3. Roll, roll, roll for maximum space efficiency.
  4. Home sweet home on wheels.

[/vc_column_text][vc_gallery interval="5" images="26498,26499,26500,26501" img_size="medium"][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Yeti adVANtures

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

La Pine, OR, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Tuttle
Member #

These are some great simple tips. My favorite part of building out our rig is the learning process and mechanics. New hardware, new tools, experiments and more. Oh my.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I sent this to my wife a few days ago! Thanks for posting!

We are transitioning to full-timing in an Airstream by the end of the year, so your journey hots pretty close to home for me.

I especially loved your last bullet, as I have vowed to buy exactly 1 more house before I die, haha.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Yeah, that last bullet point may work for some but not for me. I've been a renter and a homeowner, I prefer the latter. I'm also a landlord and love renters. :grinning:

Dominic OB0158

US West Region Member Rep
Founder 500
Benefactor
Launch Member

Member II

Perris Ca
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Moschetti
Member #

I love the line: Drink Water. Great Story.

Great piece, had reached a similar conclusion of late(although i am a homeowner not a renter). I too have far too much stuff, lots of useless or unused stuff. I'm gradually weening myself away from that situation, with the plan to build an overland rig alongside that. The view long term, if it won't fit in the rig then in truth its probably not necessary.

Reactions: Big Blue

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Yeah, Overlanding is addictive. The last time my wife and I did a trip and got back home, we were ready for more. I recently sold my company and some of my commercial properties just so I can travel. I didn't own any of that...IT owned me...so minimalistic living for me was getting rid of a lot of equipment and rental properties I had that ended up being a constant battle to keep up and maintain...an pay taxes and insurance on! The "overlanding" thing got me to realize the beauty of simplicity and nature.

Last edited:

smarthead

Rank 0

Contributor I

KS
First Name
Donny
Last Name
Keens
Changed the way I bring things. I agree with the reminders written above. What I hate the most is what I have inside the car are full of my things and won't enjoy the ride because it is too crowded inside. I think those multi box tool and 4in1 gadegets helped me have that space inside the car.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I just purchased one of your books. Working on becoming more minimalistic. It really is amazing how much stuff that we think we need but really don’t.