ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I have been mulling around the idea of a drawer system vs. boxes/trunks for my cargo area of my Jeep. I wanted something that was modular, could be removed, but also allowed for space behind and for my ice chest next to the drawer or box system. I had an epiphany the other day while looking online at an old Military Field Desk that it may make a good organization system. I did more research and the dimension of the field box were PERFECT for what I was looking for. Low and behold, I found one that was in disrepair for a song and got it from a local offroader.

I am fixing one of the drawers currently (why it is missing from some of the pics), but the rest of the box, I cleaned, and wiped with an excessive amount of oil soap. I really like that it is weathered, beat up a bit and unique. It is perfect for what I wanted.

I will update pics with how it looks once the drawer is fixed and I add some gear. I also plan to use some felt or pads to quiet the drawer slides (although, it barely makes a sound as is surprisingly.) I may also affix a flat board to the top that runs the width of my cargo area so I can put more items on top of the box. I also plan to use bungee webbing to run vertically on the drawers to keep them closed when off-roading. The box will be tied down to the cargo area using the handles on the box and tie down straps so I can remove as needed.

I plan to fill the box with camping supplies, cooking supplies and other items I don't want to get dirty on the outside of my jeep or in my trailer. This will be great for the Death Valley Trip I am planning through OB in March.

The box/drawers, there are seven total:

Sides with handle and mounting points:

Desk attached to box. The desk itself becomes a lid/closure on the box:

Inside the Jeep Cargo Area:

Becomes a great Cook area with my tailgate table (I made) and if I use my Olympian Camp Kitchen next to the Jeep.

Plenty of room behind box and rear seats for more gear:

The nostalgia of the box is awesome and unique, I think one of the reasons I like it so much. It still has the original lettering on the drawers:

They are deep and can be removed on the bottom if I just want to put gear into the chest without the drawers:

There are newer styles of the field desks that you can find online, that have plastic drawers, however, I liked the look of the wood and the availability of this one sealed the deal for me.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Still repairing some of the Wood and cleaning up the desk for use. I am going to affix a magnetic rail on the inside of one drawer for knives, utensils etc. Also, I will probably add a board on top for more room across the cargo area on a raised platform with tie down hooks on the board. I also will add some foam to bottom of the drawers for noise/rattle control and lastly plan to add some bungee webbing to the front where the drawers are to keep them closed during travel and off-roading. I will post more pics as I complete these steps.