Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
So the wife, my youngest son (just over a year) and I are on the first long trip we have taken since he was born. Now over halfway done with our drive (2600 miles total) from Grovetown Georgia to San Antonio Texas, to Oklahoma City Oklahoma, Memphis Tennessee, back to Grovetown Georgia, I am ready to be back home. This was all to visit family, and see how the little man does on a long trip, and Man would it have been amazing to actually be camping and seeing the sights in these areas (sigh) but just wanted to know how everyone keeps up? As in, do you plan a good trip once or twice a month, around your normal life schedule? I can see how I could plan, upgrade my rig (just put a roof rack that myself and my father in law built together up and Love it!) and then 2 years pass and I'm thinking to myself, next year, next year will be my chance, until it's been 20 years and here I am, thanks for any feedback and hope you all are having a great time! Side note, this long mileage trip has just made me love my Jeep even more, I'm keeping, upgrading, and continuing maintain this thing until it blows up or becomes illegal to drive!

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

The next year part has been me. For many years I kept saying once this or that is done, I'll go and start this or that and it just didn't happen. Long long trips were never a possibility for me in the past but have had at least short weekend trips at least every 6 weeks.
I bought my Jeep a Lil over year ago and have been trying to get out more and more.
It's definitely tough to be able to take off for a few weeks

OldH1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint Simons Island GA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Mohr
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
I believe the key is what Michael has outlined in one of his post...out in 20min and out in 40min. If you have your kit packed and ready to throw in the Jeep you are well ahead of all the hurdles that will keep you from actually taking the trip. With a little one I would shoot for out on Friday and back late on Sunday...a ton of planning means you are still sitting at home...planning...

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I also think it's kinda like going to the gym. When it seems there are a million things in your way, preventing you from doing it, you really need to go! You'll find yourself on top of the mountain sayin, "what was I thinking? This is exactly what I needed"!

It takes effort and some planning, but your soul/mind/brain/whatever will thank you.

I do one or two long trips a year. At least one solo trip, and as many "weekend Warrior" outings as Ivan. Still, it's often two months between outings.

One of our main principles is "uncomplicated adventures". If you do a little experimenting, you'd be amazed how little you actually need.

M

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I do the 20-minute method, I have all my gear in boxes so that the only planning I have to do is map the route and put it on my phone and load all my gear into the truck bed and I am out of the house. The fastest I have gotten out the door was in 10 minutes. I decided I wanted to go, I had already mapped the trail I wanted to do and I threw my stuff in the truck and was gone.

Reactions: überlander

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
The next year part has been me. For many years I kept saying once this or that is done, I'll go and start this or that and it just didn't happen. Long long trips were never a possibility for me in the past but have had at least short weekend trips at least every 6 weeks.
I bought my Jeep a Lil over year ago and have been trying to get out more and more.
It's definitely tough to be able to take off for a few weeks
Definitely hard, appreciate your input and honesty, hope you get out there more!

Dan Tracy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Watsonville, Ca
Member #

The "next year" thinking is too easy to fall into, as we all know from experience. I just got a reminder of the danger of it last week. I am a retired teacher. We got word that a former colleague of mine passed away in her sleep. She was in her early 60's.
'Next year' is not guaranteed for any of us.
Check your priorities and move the things that really matter to the top of the list.
Take that baby camping. You will help him/her develop a lifelong love of the outdoors. One of the greatest gifts a father can give his children.

Reactions: überlander