Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Got my GMRS acceptance from the FCC today as well as my Midland MXT105. Seems to work as advertised. I was able to make test calls from this device to my Uniden GMRS handheld radio.

Question - can these base GMRS radio be calibrated like CBs with a SWR meter? I have a SWR meter but not sure if it makes any sense to calibrate this unit / antenna. IMG_2919.JPGIMG_2920.JPGIMG_0033.JPG
The last picture is of my Pioneer Apple Car Play flip up head unit, Uniden Bearcat 980SSB CB and iPhone X.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Lookin good.
Can you check SWR? Sure, but you will want an SWR meter that works for UHF frequencies.
The antenna that comes with that radio likely isn't tuneable and really you probably don't even need to worry about it.
It's nice to check but even on my 2m ham radios I have never had to worry about tuning the antenna out of the box.

Reactions: Lovejoy

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Lookin good.
Can you check SWR? Sure, but you will want an SWR meter that works for UHF frequencies.
The antenna that comes with that radio likely isn't tuneable and really you probably don't even need to worry about it.
It's nice to check but even on my 2m ham radios I have never had to worry about tuning the antenna out of the box.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on it. I used a different/taller antenna than the one that came with it, but neither are tunable unlike the FireStik antenna that I have for my CB.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

hfd376

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Henrico, VA, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4HDF
The Midland's are nice rigs. Most of the commercial grade antennas I've bought/installed came with a cutting chart. I've been careful to measure and cut to proper length and have had good results. I think the antennas available from Midland would do well and likely not need trimming/tuning.

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I have the MXT275 and the matching midland 6db antenna for it. A buddy has the proper swr meter and the thing was spot on out of the box.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The Midland's are nice rigs. Most of the commercial grade antennas I've bought/installed came with a cutting chart. I've been careful to measure and cut to proper length and have had good results. I think the antennas available from Midland would do well and likely not need trimming/tuning.
Yeah I wanted to put this longer antenna anyhow so that it would be taller than the equipment already on my cab and camper shell. IMG_2915.JPG

The antenna that comes with the kit is less than half this height.

Reactions: hfd376

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Observations:

I took the truck to work like I do every Friday and what I realized in my setup is that I still like having my CB to listen to and to be able to talk to truckers regarding the traffic ahead and for general chit chat. I also forgot that I like having the CB to listen on Channel 9 for emergencies, which the GMRS radio, as far as I know does not have a dedicated emergency channel. So really the GMRS will only be used for caravaning on trips with friends or for emergencies with family on handheld GMRS units.

I did use the scan feature on the GMRS and heard a few people talking, but not for long. This MXT105 model has weather information, which my CB also has and is identical. I also realized that I have to mentally think about how I am changing the channels on both devices. The CB using a turn knob and the GMRS using up/down arrow buttons. Same with volume button on GMRS, it's up/down buttons that look the same as channel buttons.

The speaker on the MXT105 is very loud for its small size. I had to bring it down to level 3 out of I believe 9. My CB, however is attached to an external speaker so it is very loud. I almost forgot I have a PA speaker attached to the CB for fun. So in short I won't be getting rid of or replacing my CB with the GMRS anytime soon, not that I was thinking of doing that, but it would have been nice to have a single communication device.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

but it would have been nice to have a single communication device.
But you haven't added ham radio yet... :smirk:
Just please don't add marine radio or a "race radio"...
There are options and they each offer something that appeals to someone.. CB is the most popular, GMRS is better for convoy/trail comms, ham is even better and offers some emergency comm capability.
Nobody will ever been on the same radio service so either you are the guy is prepared with multiple options or you use what your core group of buddies use and hope anyone else you may need to talk to is also using it.

Now with my HF ham radio I can listen to CB, and my VHF/UHF ham radio can listen to GMRS. But can't talk to either.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
But you haven't added ham radio yet... :smirk:
Just please don't add marine radio or a "race radio"...
There are options and they each offer something that appeals to someone.. CB is the most popular, GMRS is better for convoy/trail comms, ham is even better and offers some emergency comm capability.
Nobody will ever been on the same radio service so either you are the guy is prepared with multiple options or you use what your core group of buddies use and hope anyone else you may need to talk to is also using it.

Now with my HF ham radio I can listen to CB, and my VHF/UHF ham radio can listen to GMRS. But can't talk to either.
lol I hope to not add another radio. I think I am set on comms for now. I’m not too interested in ham since to me it is more hobby based. Don’t have too much time as it is with work and family.

Interesting that you can listen to CB and GRMS on your VHF/UHF setup.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

lol I hope to not add another radio. I think I am set on comms for now. I’m not too interested in ham since to me it is more hobby based. Don’t have too much time as it is with work and family.
lol, I was being facetious. I know it's not for everyone, it's more technical than a lot of people want comms to be. And that's why there is GMRS, better but not technical.

Interesting that you can listen to CB and GRMS on your VHF/UHF setup.
Most all ham radios have wideband receive capabilities, you can listen to a lot of things. :smirk:

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks Prerunner. When I have my own man-cave at home then I might think about ham. I do like to listen in though. Interesting convo sometimes.