Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

My Midland 275 seems to be a bit clicky sounding... Almost like a mechanical relay type click, when breaking squelch for weak signals. I'm at squelch level 1. Anyone else get a clickyness like that? Normal?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My Midland 275 seems to be a bit clicky sounding... Almost like a mechanical relay type click, when breaking squelch for weak signals. I'm at squelch level 1. Anyone else get a clickyness like that? Normal?
Could it be a problem with your ground? How do you have it connected? Cig lighter? Directly to battery?

Reactions: Ubiety

TheGreyhound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Could it be a problem with your ground? How do you have it connected? Cig lighter? Directly to battery?
positive is tapped in the fuse block via an add-a-circuit and the ground is pretty firmly run to a bolt that is holding the center column of the dash to the floor. i'd presume if it were ungrounded it wouldnt function at all. its only when breaking squelch for weak signals, strong signals power thru it just fine so maybe thats just the way it sounds.... functionally seems fine.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
positive is tapped in the fuse block via an add-a-circuit and the ground is pretty firmly run to a bolt that is holding the center column of the dash to the floor. i'd presume if it were ungrounded it wouldnt function at all. its only when breaking squelch for weak signals, strong signals power thru it just fine so maybe thats just the way it sounds.... functionally seems fine.
Ah ok. Cause when you clicking sound like relay, it made me think of a loose ground or something to do with power.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@TheGreyhound what channel are you on when you hear this?
Seattle has a handful of repeaters and perhaps what you are hearing is the repeater.
If the sound you hear is often accompanied by no voice this is commonly referred to as kerchunking the repeater, a momentary key up without saying anything to "see if you are making it into the repeater".. or to just be annoying.
I hear this often on channel 15, it is also a local repeater here in OKC. I don't hear it on other channels.

TheGreyhound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

@TheGreyhound what channel are you on when you hear this?
Seattle has a handful of repeaters and perhaps what you are hearing is the repeater.
If the sound you hear is often accompanied by no voice this is commonly referred to as kerchunking the repeater, a momentary key up without saying anything to "see if you are making it into the repeater".. or to just be annoying.
I hear this often on channel 15, it is also a local repeater here in OKC. I don't hear it on other channels.
Any channel. It's weak signals barely breaking squelch. On the repeaters I get a strong powerful signal.

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
You may also want to test it with the engine running and the engine turned off. Depending on the vehicle ignition based RFI can cause a rapid clicking sound. Also if you have the ability test it running direct to battery with engine turned off and engine turned on. If you are getting RFI from an external source, a noise filter on the power line may do the trick, but as I do not know specifically what noise you are getting, I could not tell you for sure.

TheGreyhound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

You may also want to test it with the engine running and the engine turned off. Depending on the vehicle ignition based RFI can cause a rapid clicking sound. Also if you have the ability test it running direct to battery with engine turned off and engine turned on. If you are getting RFI from an external source, a noise filter on the power line may do the trick, but as I do not know specifically what noise you are getting, I could not tell you for sure.
No change engine on or off. No change wired to battery or fuse block. No change grounded nearby or to engine bay strap.
Must be normal noise.

massive rfi from my ditch lights as confirmed by my handhelds. Just can’t use the radio and ditch lights at the same time it seems. Is what it is.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
No change engine on or off. No change wired to battery or fuse block. No change grounded nearby or to engine bay strap.
Must be normal noise.

massive rfi from my ditch lights as confirmed by my handhelds. Just can’t use the radio and ditch lights at the same time it seems. Is what it is.
Same issue was solved in another thread a few days ago by getting shielded wire for the ditch lights.

Reactions: TheGreyhound

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Ever solved? I have similar on the 575. Similar to this video, it can first be heard after "I'm not sure" - - I have a weboost next to my midland but there's no power running to it when I have this issue. No ditch lights. 575 going to the battery.

Rich_f512de

Rank II

Contributor I

Peotone, IL, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Dennis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXX537
Service Branch
USMC
I know this doesn’t help your situation but I had a 275 mounted in my Jeep and never had any issues with mine, maybe it’s a mic issue. Recently I bought a new Wouxun Radio and have the Midland sitting in the garage.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Interesting. I have multiple friends with the exact same midland and they don't have this issue. I wonder if it's my Midland. I'll contact support. Thanks

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I haven't heard that issue before, hopefully Midland support will take care of you.
Love the very enthusiastic "You're Welcome!" at the end. lol

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Have you tried changing the squelch level setting? A setting of 1 is basically right at threshold and it's probably picking up a touch of the noise floor before the squelch circuit captures. I've heard this on onther radios as well so I don't think it's anything wrong.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Have you tried changing the squelch level setting? A setting of 1 is basically right at threshold and it's probably picking up a touch of the noise floor before the squelch circuit captures. I've heard this on onther radios as well so I don't think it's anything wrong.
Long story short: I've spent hours testing with this and lots of communication with Midland. They're claiming it's called a "DC pop" and is to be expected. But I've talked to dozens of people with midlands... several people don't have this issue. I'm going to try a new wiring technique tomorrow. Ground to the body instead of the battery. I've troubleshooted everything else. Multiple midlands. Multiple handheld mics. Etc.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

@Carnage_95YJ Thank you. I have a much more in-depth thread here: Log into Facebook

At this point I've tested this:

1. With / without handheld mic extension (3m Midland *and* another one, same sound)
2. Testing different handheld mic (3 different ones)
3. Testing different power cable (2x)
4. Testing completely different MXT575 (brand new, have tried 2x now)
5. Testing different antenna / antenna wiring (2x different)
6. Two different vehicle batteries
7. Grounding to battery versus body chassis

Issue persists.