Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Bravo @Michael! My wife and one of my kids both got their Technician license through a ham cram in Tracy, CA and I upgraded to General through the same one. As you said in the video, it is just the beginning... Oh, and @Corrie, you should have been there getting your license with Michael.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Bravo @Michael! My wife and one of my kids both got their Technician license through a ham cram in Tracy, CA and I upgraded to General through the same one. As you said in the video, it is just the beginning... Oh, and @Corrie, you should have been there getting your license with Michael.
Hopefully Corrie and my wife Lucy will get theirs soon.

Reactions: 94Cruiser
S

SubeeBen

Great video & information. Is there one of these classes available in San Diego area ?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Great video & information. Is there one of these classes available in San Diego area ?
Working on it as we speak. We will have resources for you very soon

Reactions: SubeeBen
S

SubeeBen

Awesome thanks so much. Would definitely be in for this class & im sure there’s enough OLB members in San Diego to be able to fund a class for this. Thanks again & will be keeping my eye out for any new info.

Reactions: mylilpwny

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Did I her something about another one of these training/test events happening in San Francisco? I would have done the Tracey one if I knew about it. How can I find out about any future events?

Thanks

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Did I her something about another one of these training/test events happening in San Francisco? I would have done the Tracey one if I knew about it. How can I find out about any future events?

Thanks
The Modesto cram was publicized for months prior and I would have hoped my invites to it would have reached you. So I apologize for that.
I am going to be setting up anther one sometime in the spring but in the mean time there is a place you can find out about local tests.
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

You should also start using the on line free testing, flash card and classes to get proficient with the test.
HamWhisperer.com
Hamexam.corg
And many more.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Thanks,

I guess I haven't been watching close enough. I did look at the ARRL site last night and noticed they have testing in San Jose every week in Jan-Feb. I think this is different than the cram session that happened in Modesto. This sounds like just the test being administered whereas the cram session seems like an all day study workshop/test combo. Am I correct?

Thanks

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks,

I guess I haven't been watching close enough. I did look at the ARRL site last night and noticed they have testing in San Jose every week in Jan-Feb. I think this is different than the cram session that happened in Modesto. This sounds like just the test being administered whereas the cram session seems like an all day study workshop/test combo. Am I correct?

Thanks
Every location location seems to do it slightly different, my advice is to use the study guides then go take the test.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks,
Thanks
If you are wanting to take a class it looks like there is one in San Jose starting Jan 10th but I am not seeing any test sessions.
The class below is every Thursday for 7 weeks.

LICENSING CLASS

01/10/2019
Start/End Dates: 01/10/2019 - 02/21/2019
Times: Every Thursday 6:30-8-30 P.M.
# of Sessions: 7
Class level: Technician
Morse code offered: No
Pre register required: Yes
Fee: $0.00
Pre Study required: No
Class Type: Traditional
Exam offered: No
Sponsoring Club/Organization: Hillside Church
Instructor: KK6TKB, KM6ABG
Phone: (408) 930-2561
Email: HillsideAmateurRadio@gmail.com
545 Hillsdale Avenue
San Jose, CA 95136
Additional Information: Information and Registration: https://hillside.org/amateurradio Email: HillsideAmateurRadio@gmail.com

If you take the class in San Jose there is a test session in Saratoga on 3/2/2019.

EXAM SESSION

03/02/2019
Sponsor: Silicon Valley VE Group
Date: Mar 02 2019
Time: 8:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
(408) 507-4698
Email: mojoteri@comcast.net
VEC: ARRL/VEC
14380 Saratoga Ave
Saratoga CA 95070-5953

If you are comfortable with self study there are MANY study guides available. The two I have used are www.hamstudy.org and https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/
Study up, take practice test and then take the real deal. Too easy, but feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are many of us here who would be more than happy to answer them and you could PM any of us if you feel more comfortable doing so.

Reactions: Kent R

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Thanks,

Thanks
I have been studying for the test, I'm using Hamstudy.org. I would suggest going there an taking a few of the practice test and see how you do. For me I was just 1 or 2 questions from passing without even looking at the study guide. The software keeps track what you get wrong and will push those questions till you get them right.

Now after a few days studying I get 1 or 2 wrong on the practice test and thats because I don't read the questions the right.

Funny thing is I'll be able to pass the test no problem but have no clue how to use the radio.

Todd

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
Funny thing is I'll be able to pass the test no problem but have no clue how to use the radio.
One of the volunteer administrators, who happens to also be a college professor, told us at the beginning of the Modesto Ham Cram to learn the test, then worry about learning how it all relates to HAM radio operations later.