Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Thanks Keith. I am sorry to read that you lost your mom to it. Today is another hospital day. It's nice to have access to this excellent forum so that I can take my mind off of things. Her treatments and surgeries have all gone really well so far. It was a huge shock though when she first had to go to emergency after feeling a lot of sudden pain during her lunch hour in work in early February. She's super-fit and loves to cycle long distance. There were no signs of anything wrong.
Sounds like a familiar scenario but Im sure your outcome will be much better than mine.
Anyway I see youre a Jeep owner. I must admit it's one vehicle I've not driven. In my opinion they will replace the corner of the market where Land Rover Defenders will leave a hole. I love mine to bits

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Sounds like a familiar scenario but Im sure your outcome will be much better than mine.
Anyway I see youre a Jeep owner. I must admit it's one vehicle I've not driven. In my opinion they will replace the corner of the market where Land Rover Defenders will leave a hole. I love mine to bits
Hi Keith, thanks very much for the lovely note. Today went well.

I love my jeep to bits too but I am saddened that there are fewer and fewer models of jeep-like vehicles being made. Concerns about fuel economy, at least here in the U.S. is driving(no pun intended!:tonguewink:)/forcing some manufacturers to make more fuel efficient, lower-to-the-ground, less offroad-worthy vehicles. Internationally, the FJ Cruiser, Land Rover Defender and Nissan Xterra all ceased production within the last few years. Ford is supposed to be re-introducing the Bronco as it sees an opportunity to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. I would have loved to have bought a Land Rover Defender but here in the USA, they are mightily expensive and rare as they were only imported for four years, in 93, 95, 96 and 97. I think that the reason for its import demise here was a lack of airbags.
Many years ago, whilst I was still living in Ireland, I worked as a gamekeeper on a country estate for a couple of summers and got a chance to drive an old ex-army defender. It would go anywhere and was very offroad capable. Internally, you could really load it up with cargo too and it could take a beating. I loved it!
Sadly though, Ireland is a very expensive country to live in and owning a large-engined car is heavily taxed. That is why I could only ever afford to drive sub-one liter engined vehicles, that is until I arrived here in the U.S. If I owned my Jeep Wrangler with its 3.6 Liter engine in heavily-taxed Ireland, I would have to annually pay about 1800 euros (equivalent to 1930 US Dollars or 1500 British Pounds) in road tax alone, which does not include expensive car insurance or petrol costs.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

after watching the videos I'm guessing that Land Rover Defenders are not highly thought of in the US? I don't know if the guy in the first video is well known but he appears to have grown up with a silver spoon in his mouth. it certainly looks like his mom dresses him still.
I even watched his follow up YouTube video where he was apparently apologising for the Defender review video. I know he probably did it purposely but he couldn't even manage to hold the Union Jack up correctly (which he referred to as the British flag - idiot!!!!) look at the uproar in the world when the Stars and Stripes are disrepected but he feels it is OK to do the same to another nations symbol.

as for the second video they certainly found an old Defender to review. they might want to look at a more modern version.

I know for certain they are hugely popular in my part of the world but at the end of the day "it doesn't matter what you drive"

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Defenders are highly coveted in the US! But they were only sold here for a very short time, and used ones command astronomical prices. D90s in the $40-50k range, and 110s $75,000 and up!

Would we all love one? YES! Will we ever end up buying one? For most of us, that answer would be no, unfortunately.

I'm guessing that Land Rover Defenders are not highly thought of in the US?

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Defenders are highly coveted in the US! But they were only sold here for a very short time, and used ones command astronomical prices. D90s in the $40-50k range, and 110s $75,000 and up!

Would we all love one? YES! Will we ever end up buying one? For most of us, that answer would be no, unfortunately.
I don't know what you know about Land Rover but I started my Offroading life with a Freelander 1 which I thought was brilliant. That was until I bought my Discovery 2. Wow what an improvement. I kept that for quite a number of years until I got my Defender 90 and now I never want to give it up. I spend all my spare money on extra kit and presents for my pride and joy (not the wife). I have a "wish" list of goodies I'd like to buy, it's just gonna take a while to afford it.

Darthbaggins

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Cromartie
Member #

I don't know what you know about Land Rover but I started my Offroading life with a Freelander 1 which I thought was brilliant. That was until I bought my Discovery 2. Wow what an improvement. I kept that for quite a number of years until I got my Defender 90 and now I never want to give it up. I spend all my spare money on extra kit and presents for my pride and joy (not the wife). I have a "wish" list of goodies I'd like to buy, it's just gonna take a while to afford it.
Basically you went from a Ford Escape to a LR lol, the Discovery is a step in the right direction - being a(n) Auto Tech though Discovery's are money pits for service, only ones that I have noticed are rock solid are the Defender series, but that's how they were truely designed and why they had such a short run in the US market (too reliable much like Mercedes nuking Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep from using the 4.0L)
But since I can't afford a Defender, I went with the next best thing (imo) my '02 4Runner (HiLux Surf) which has barely been broken in for a Yota 3.4L (only at 172,500 on the odo). Hoping one day to come across a diesel swap or model to cross over to.

Carolina x

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Jacksonville, NC
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carrozza
Member #

I placed my order for my new membership emblem, a patch, and sticker a 3 days ago, can I get my profile updated while I wait for the badges to arrive?

Wadar

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Grand Junction
Member #

Now that I've ordered my badge, how long until I can access the features of being a member on the forum?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Now that I've ordered my badge, how long until I can access the features of being a member on the forum?
Once you have your badge number, post it here and one of us can toggle on your Member banner. That gets you access to the Member map, the Member forums, and the open bar. ;)

Reactions: SLO Rob

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I feel like a little kid looking out the window waiting for the mailman each day. The mailman must be overlanding himself and taking all the dirt trails getting it here because it feels like it is taking forever!

Wadar

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Grand Junction
Member #

Once you have your badge number, post it here and one of us can toggle on your Member banner. That gets you access to the Member map, the Member forums, and the open bar. ;)
Thanks, looking forward to being able to access all of the features of the site. Then between this and TW I'll never have a lack of entertaining reading!

Reactions: Steve

Mudgard

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Concord, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Voss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ORJ
Service Branch
USCG
Just got my emblems (5524). Very nicely done. Classy presentation. Already installed them and now I need to get them muddy!!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: DRT71 and SLO Rob

Chuck Robledo

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Kyle, TX
Member #

I am having the same issue. I have sent in a couple of tickets but cant seem to get this issue resolved. My member number is 5205. Could you do the same for me so I can access member features?

Status
Not open for further replies.