Rank II

Contributor III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Hi everyone! Totally new here. New to overlanding, off-roading, and owning a 4x4 vehicle. I have always been a sports car person for my weekend cars, but as my girlfriend loves to go hiking and I’m interested in camping more (used to camp all the time as a kid, but not as much as an adult) I figured this would be a good place to soak up some information.

I recently purchased a 2021 Colorado ZR2 Bison Edition. I already can see that the Sport bar and sport lights weren’t very good options to have for over landing but I think it’ll be over for now. I have a couple plans so far, mostly looking into Decked bed storage and getting ALL of the basics for camping, recovery gear, and most likely a winch too just in case.

I live in Tacoma WA and am super excited to hopefully meet some people as well since I know going with more people is a lot more safe.

My biggest goal is to soak up a ton of information so I’m not a noob in a brand new truck who has absolutely no trail etiquette etc. Want to respect the land and all the patrons who use it.

Excited to be here!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi everyone! Totally new here. New to overlanding, off-roading, and owning a 4x4 vehicle. I have always been a sports car person for my weekend cars, but as my girlfriend loves to go hiking and I’m interested in camping more (used to camp all the time as a kid, but not as much as an adult) I figured this would be a good place to soak up some information.

I recently purchased a 2021 Colorado ZR2 Bison Edition. I already can see that the Sport bar and sport lights weren’t very good options to have for over landing but I think it’ll be over for now. I have a couple plans so far, mostly looking into Decked bed storage and getting ALL of the basics for camping, recovery gear, and most likely a winch too just in case.

I live in Tacoma WA and am super excited to hopefully meet some people as well since I know going with more people is a lot more safe.

My biggest goal is to soak up a ton of information so I’m not a noob in a brand new truck who has absolutely no trail etiquette etc. Want to respect the land and all the patrons who use it.

Excited to be here!
Hello , Welcome to Overland Bound.
I am the Northwest Director. @Ubiety is your closest member representative.
To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).
Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.
Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.
Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.
Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.
Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.
Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.
Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.
Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.
Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Excited to be here!
Welcome to the OB crew

Blackwind

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Johnny
Last Name
H
Member #

Hmm, where to begin. The outdoors have always been a large part of my life and highly enjoyed from a young age. Backpacking trips to Alaska, bush plane drop-offs, and pick-up two weeks later became an almost every year thing as a young adult and beyond. I lived most of my life in North Texas so traveling to destination spots was common, and the older I got, the more I realized that I needed to leave Texas and find my forever home. I left North Texas in early 2016 and made Idaho my home. I live in the middle of everything I enjoy, the outdoors! The area I live in is surrounded by over 10 million acres of state and federal lands, and I could not be happier. “Overlanding” for me has been merely camping out of a vehicle, but the older I get…, the more a little creature comfort becomes…..important.

So what brought me to this corner of the Internet? A TRAILER PROJECT! I have been going through a ton of Youtube videos and here I am. :) I happened upon such unique topics, I had to learn more so spent all evening watching Overland Bound videos. So the Trailer?

A few months ago, I helped a neighbor load several items into a moving truck, and he off the cuff asked if I was interested in buying his little old trailer. For a little steel beast, the price we came to was a steal in my book. I primarily used it for hauling wood from the woods on our firewood gathering runs. Here in Idaho, you acquire a permit for cords of wood, and off you go. A buddy knew I had been shopping for an expedition-style trailer, and he asked, "why not turn Lil Beast into one?" I laughed at first, but we all sat down and started brainstorming. The first thing we did was order a 3500 Dexter Torsion Axle with electric brakes. Pulled the old axle and springs, welded in reinforcements to the bottom, and slapped on the new axle. We removed the original towing point and welded in a 2-inch square tube and ordered an Ark Articulating Off-Road Coupler for 2" Receivers. I'm attempting to locate mount points for Rhino Heavy Duty Bars I had laying around but short of installing an actual track system to the round rail running from front to back, not seeing many options. I figured I would post here for input and updates. Think we are going to weld in a rack that can raise lower the tent using linear actuators, which would also provide a mount point other than the round bar for the RTT....this would also allow me to pull the entire rack off the trailer to use it as a normal trailer with a hoist system in the workshop

I thought it appropriate to lay out all my plans for this little monster. I believe the trailer is an old U-Haul trailer that was decommissioned. 6ft x 4ft. The plan is to install items on the outside of the trailer and the tongue box leaving the interior open to general use etc. The more we plan the less likely that looks LOL

Buyers Products Company 16 in. x 16 in. x 49 in. Black Steel Trailer Tongue Truck Tool Box
- Ordered and the plan is to add more 2-inch squares to each angled side at the tongue and mount and weld the tongue box. This should raise the tongue box just high enough not to interfere with the trailer jack. Thought of updating the jack but it works so I think I will leave it as-is unless it proves to be inefficient
Electrical - The primary function of the tongue box will be to house two Odyssey Extreme Series Batteries and an electrical system. (probably will change this out to a LiFepo4 battery) I plan to install a NOCO Genius 2-Bank battery charger along with a Port Plug power inlet for shore power and BlueSea battery switches. I have a Xantrex 806-1220 PROwatt SW 2000 Inverter along with a Renogy Rover 40 Amp 12V/24V MPPT Solar Charge Controller Battery Regulator that will also find a home in here. We'll center the batteries for weight and go from there
Hot Water Heater - Pretty sure we'll also have room to install a hot water system in the tongue box as well for cooking and showers
Roam Vagabond Roof Tent with Annex - I already own a roof tent and we are trying to decide if we want to directly mount it to the round bars or have a lift and lower rack system for the tent. If we go with a lift and lower system, we'll fabricate that and use the areas you can see in the first pictures on the sides to weld in square iron on each side for the raise and lower bars. More than likely will go aluminum for the actual towers attached to the tent platform
Stabilizing Leveling Jacks 2 - We are devising a method to install mount points and install these on the front end and backend
Custom side boxes - We are roughing up a few drawings for boxes to install over the wheel wells for various kitchen storage etc
Bedliner - I plan to Bedliner the entire interior with black Bedliner and olive drab on the entire exterior
Water Tank(s) - Trying to decide how I want to do this. Considering how tall she is now, I MIGHT be able to squeeze a few Valterra RV Water Tanks on her underside. If not, I will have a custom-built for inside the trailer up near the tongue and go with a drawer system for a kitchen, out of the back...or out of the side with a few select cuts and door placement.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hmm, where to begin. The outdoors have always been a large part of my life and highly enjoyed from a young age. Backpacking trips to Alaska, bush plane drop-offs, and pick-up two weeks later became an almost every year thing as a young adult and beyond. I lived most of my life in North Texas so traveling to destination spots was common, and the older I got, the more I realized that I needed to leave Texas and find my forever home. I left North Texas in early 2016 and made Idaho my home. I live in the middle of everything I enjoy, the outdoors! The area I live in is surrounded by over 10 million acres of state and federal lands, and I could not be happier. “Overlanding” for me has been merely camping out of a vehicle, but the older I get…, the more a little creature comfort becomes…..important.

So what brought me to this corner of the Internet? A TRAILER PROJECT! I have been going through a ton of Youtube videos and here I am. :) I happened upon such unique topics, I had to learn more so spent all evening watching Overland Bound videos. So the Trailer?

A few months ago, I helped a neighbor load several items into a moving truck, and he off the cuff asked if I was interested in buying his little old trailer. For a little steel beast, the price we came to was a steal in my book. I primarily used it for hauling wood from the woods on our firewood gathering runs. Here in Idaho, you acquire a permit for cords of wood, and off you go. A buddy knew I had been shopping for an expedition-style trailer, and he asked, "why not turn Lil Beast into one?" I laughed at first, but we all sat down and started brainstorming. The first thing we did was order a 3500 Dexter Torsion Axle with electric brakes. Pulled the old axle and springs, welded in reinforcements to the bottom, and slapped on the new axle. We removed the original towing point and welded in a 2-inch square tube and ordered an Ark Articulating Off-Road Coupler for 2" Receivers. I'm attempting to locate mount points for Rhino Heavy Duty Bars I had laying around but short of installing an actual track system to the round rail running from front to back, not seeing many options. I figured I would post here for input and updates. Think we are going to weld in a rack that can raise lower the tent using linear actuators, which would also provide a mount point other than the round bar for the RTT....this would also allow me to pull the entire rack off the trailer to use it as a normal trailer with a hoist system in the workshop

I thought it appropriate to lay out all my plans for this little monster. I believe the trailer is an old U-Haul trailer that was decommissioned. 6ft x 4ft. The plan is to install items on the outside of the trailer and the tongue box leaving the interior open to general use etc. The more we plan the less likely that looks LOL

Buyers Products Company 16 in. x 16 in. x 49 in. Black Steel Trailer Tongue Truck Tool Box - Ordered and the plan is to add more 2-inch squares to each angled side at the tongue and mount and weld the tongue box. This should raise the tongue box just high enough not to interfere with the trailer jack. Thought of updating the jack but it works so I think I will leave it as-is unless it proves to be inefficient
Electrical - The primary function of the tongue box will be to house two Odyssey Extreme Series Batteries and an electrical system. (probably will change this out to a LiFepo4 battery) I plan to install a NOCO Genius 2-Bank battery charger along with a Port Plug power inlet for shore power and BlueSea battery switches. I have a Xantrex 806-1220 PROwatt SW 2000 Inverter along with a Renogy Rover 40 Amp 12V/24V MPPT Solar Charge Controller Battery Regulator that will also find a home in here. We'll center the batteries for weight and go from there
Hot Water Heater - Pretty sure we'll also have room to install a hot water system in the tongue box as well for cooking and showers
Roam Vagabond Roof Tent with Annex - I already own a roof tent and we are trying to decide if we want to directly mount it to the round bars or have a lift and lower rack system for the tent. If we go with a lift and lower system, we'll fabricate that and use the areas you can see in the first pictures on the sides to weld in square iron on each side for the raise and lower bars. More than likely will go aluminum for the actual towers attached to the tent platform
Stabilizing Leveling Jacks 2 - We are devising a method to install mount points and install these on the front end and backend
Custom side boxes - We are roughing up a few drawings for boxes to install over the wheel wells for various kitchen storage etc
Bedliner - I plan to Bedliner the entire interior with black Bedliner and olive drab on the entire exterior
Water Tank(s) - Trying to decide how I want to do this. Considering how tall she is now, I MIGHT be able to squeeze a few Valterra RV Water Tanks on her underside. If not, I will have a custom-built for inside the trailer up near the tongue and go with a drawer system for a kitchen, out of the back...or out of the side with a few select cuts and door placement.

Welcome to Overland Bound
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

You might post the trailer build info on this page;

Reactions: Blackwind

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Excited to be here!
The Colorado is quickly becoming a very popular platform for overlanding, there are several discussions here on the forum that might help with your build.
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Rig: Currently a 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500
Overlanding experience: Maybe mid to advanced level? I’ve been overlanding since I was a kid in the 70’s. I love exploring, makes me feel accomplished when I discover and successfully navigate new terrain/areas.

Thank you for this new way to connect and share with like minded explorers.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @Beans
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Excited to be here!
Welcome to OB Tyler! Let me know if you have any questions or need assistance. Make sure to keep an eye on Rally Point, as it warms up and dries out you will start to see some local events appear. Glad that you are interested in trail etiquette! I have a list around in a thread somewhere that I will pass along when I find it. Take a look at @Kent R’s post above for the link to Tread Lightly - this will give you a start on what you can do to preserve our lands and access to those lands. Again, feel free to contact me if you think I can assist or answer any questions.

Reactions: M Rose

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hello hello!

I'm Andy
Based in Colorado.
No rig at all at the moment, unfortunately.
I'll go with experienced-ish? Grew up in CO spending as much of my free time as I could out in the mountains and exploring new places every chance I had.

Spent the last year in Guam for work. Excited to get back home here in a couple months, get me a new rig to start building, meet some adventure buddies and hit the mountains and trails again!
Welcome Andy! I bet the idea of getting a rig and starting the build it’s pretty exciting!

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hey all! My name is Rye and I just got my badge in the mail today and picking up my first overland rig tomorrow!

It's a 1996 LX450 and I'm in Golden, CO.
I'm new to overlanding, but have owned many 4Runners in the past, so I'm at least familiar with the vehicle a bit.

I dont have my own pictures yet, but here's a pic from the seller
Welcome Rye! That thing is a beast!

Reactions: Klereue

FeistyFJgirl

Rank IV

Advocate III

Bedford, Tarrant County, Texas, United States
First Name
SHAWNA
Last Name
LEE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJL699
Hey OB!!
Name is Shawna, 41 next week, single lady, 19 yr old son serving overseas, currently living in the Mid Atlantic (In lots of local offroad groups in the DMV) but looking at relocation options. LIVING LIFE to the fullest!! Long term goal is to live A LOT out of my rig with a small cabin as base somewhere in the mountains!!

2011 Iceberg FJ Cruiser. Not sure what "experience" level to put... I grew up in the Midwest and spent a lot of time in the outdoors, all our family vacations were extended camping trips and/or road trips. I love wheeling, camping, hiking and the like. I have traveled to most of the contiguous states, Canada and England/Scotland/Whales twice. I had a short stint in the Army. Slowly building out my rig with limited time, and budget. I JUST did my rear seat delete and am getting a NEW set of GOAT armor. I am also a Tread Lightly member and will be taking the Trail Trainer course in May.

Looking forward to connect with others on here, in the interim...

Here are some fun pics!

And check me out on IG: @Fervid.Cruzn

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Buyers Products Company 16 in. x 16 in. x 49 in. Black Steel Trailer Tongue Truck Tool Box - Ordered and the plan is to add more 2-inch squares to each angled side at the tongue and mount and weld the tongue box. This should raise the tongue box just high enough not to interfere with the trailer jack. Thought of updating the jack but it works so I think I will leave it as-is unless it proves to be inefficient

Hello Johnny, Welcome to Overland Bound.
I am the Northwest Director. @David H is the member representative for southern Idaho, and @Sandpoint Steve is the member representative for northern Idaho. @J&V_Bird is putting together something for members in the Twin Falls Area so if you’re in that neck of the woods hit him up.
To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).
Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.
Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.
Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.
Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.
Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.
Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.
Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.
Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.
Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Welcome Shawna, sounds like you def living life to the max, which is a great thing.....Any ideas on your relocation spot? I do love the cabin in the mtns idea as that is my retirement dream, always thought in Tenn, but have been in the desert west so long, I could do the cabin out here someplace in mtns.....

Thank you for your service and your sons! As a veteran myself, I think every child could use a stint in the Military...

Look around the place there is a ton of information here....

Jim

Reactions: Kent R

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hey OB!!
Name is Shawna, 41 next week, single lady, 19 yr old son serving overseas, currently living in the Mid Atlantic (In lots of local offroad groups in the DMV) but looking at relocation options. LIVING LIFE to the fullest!! Long term goal is to live A LOT out of my rig with a small cabin as base somewhere in the mountains!!

2011 Iceberg FJ Cruiser. Not sure what "experience" level to put... I grew up in the Midwest and spent a lot of time in the outdoors, all our family vacations were extended camping trips and/or road trips. I love wheeling, camping, hiking and the like. I have traveled to most of the contiguous states, Canada and England/Scotland/Whales twice. I had a short stint in the Army. Slowly building out my rig with limited time, and budget. I JUST did my rear seat delete and am getting a NEW set of GOAT armor. I am also a Tread Lightly member and will be taking the Trail Trainer course in May.

Here are some fun pics!

Welcome to the OB crew

Jrpjr1

Rank II

Contributor III

Waterford, Connecticut, United States
First Name
Jimmie
Last Name
Padgett
Member #

Hi from SE Connecticut... I’m recently retired have always had a love for off-roading...my first experience was my 1974 CJ5 in 1978.... had many more in between but then in 2009 bought a 1995 Defender 90...spent 6 years building it and Off-roading mostly day trips and a few weekend trips....
looking to get to the next level overlanding and visiting as many beautiful areas of the country and Canada maybe in my ordered 2021 gladiator rubicon echo diesel.... hopefully here in next week or two? Ordered it 12/09/20...
Hope to see you on the trails now that I have the time

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
My last build sold in 2015
Keep us updated with the Gladiator diesel
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @Cowboyupdan

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey OB!!

Here are some fun pics!

Welcome to Overland Bound Shawna.
Great looking rig.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @cgflyer

Reactions: Nomadik Nova