Rank I

Contributor III

Florida, United States
First Name
Brendan
Last Name
Turnbull
F17A1451-DB3B-44DD-B197-27A4C68FFDC9.jpeg
Hi Y'all, Starting in 2015 our factory stock F250 "Billy Joe" towed our 27' travel trailer RV "Bobbie Sue" around the U.S. to all of the U.S. National Parks in the contiguous U.S. for over three years of full time life on the road. In the summer of 2019 we left the trailer behind and added the camper shell with not much more than a bed frame, mattress, basic camping kit and some recovery gear to cross Canada from P.E.I. to Vancouver, B.C. including a trip all the way up the Dempster Highway to Tuk and the Arctic Ocean along with a grand tour of Alaska's U.S. National Parks for over 3 months on the road. Having learned what worked and what didn't with the truck camper, we added some creature comforts from our RV, 450AH aux AGM battery bank, 380W solar array, fridge, shore power converter, 2000w inverter, additional usb ports, cell signal booster, navigation station, portable toilet, etc. I just finished building the custom side saddle rails and roof rack today. Unlike the abundance of aftermarket gear mounting solutions available for trucks with roof top tents, there are not many OTS off road capable roof rack and gear mounting options available for trucks with camper shells out there. So I designed and built my own side saddle and roof rack cage system. Looking forward to testing its limits in the wild... once Covid cools off and we can escape New England again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Sam here. Just moved out to Springfield Missouri. I've always been an avid camper when I lived in Southern California and wanted to add to the experience with my love for trucks. I was always a 4runner guy, mostly 1st and 2nd gens, but recently bought a 14 ram 1500. I've never but a vehicle from scratch looking forward to it with this truck. Im a novice when it comes to builds and off-road so any tips are very appreciated.
Welcome from NE Oklahoma

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
View attachment 175343
Hi Y'all, Starting in 2015 our factory stock F250 "Billy Joe" towed our 27' travel trailer RV "Bobbie Sue" around the U.S. to all of the U.S. National Parks in the contiguous U.S. for over three years of full time life on the road. In the summer of 2019 we left the trailer behind and added the camper shell with not much more than a bed frame, mattress, basic camping kit and some recovery gear to cross Canada from P.E.I. to Vancouver, B.C. including a trip all the way up the Dempster Highway to Tuk and the Arctic Ocean along with a grand tour of Alaska's U.S. National Parks for over 3 months on the road. Having learned what worked and what didn't with the truck camper, we added some creature comforts from our RV, 450AH aux AGM battery bank, 380W solar array, fridge, shore power converter, 2000w inverter, additional usb ports, cell signal booster, navigation station, portable toilet, etc. I just finished building the custom side saddle rails and roof rack today. Unlike the abundance of aftermarket gear mounting solutions available for trucks with roof top tents, there are not many OTS off road capable roof rack and gear mounting options available for trucks with camper shells out there. So I designed and built my own side saddle and roof rack cage system. Looking forward to testing its limits in the wild... once Covid cools off and we can escape New England again.
Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @Cowboyupdan
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Everyone!

Name: Chi
Rig: 2020 Land Rover Defender HSE
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Iceland (go back and forth 2 to 4x a year but not this year, unfortunately)
Offroad Experience: Intermediate
Overland Experience: Novice

About me: Huge photographer nut which is why I travel to Iceland often. If you're on Instagram, I'm "CHIDITTY" which is the same handle name on here. I'm also a National Parks fan. First National Park I ever went to was Zion National Park back in 2014 and I instantly fell in love - not only for the park itself but the entire National Park system and what they stand for.

Why Overland? While I am an avid camper, I have very little to no experience Overlanding. I have done a lot of offroading in the Highlands in Iceland but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. But upon my purchase of my Defender, this has motivated me to explore the world of Overlanding. I have several trips planned for later this year and next which includes having my Defender shipped out to the West Coast as well as, you guessed it - Iceland! Very excited to finally take my own vehicle rather than renting one.

Overall, I'm very excited to be part of this group and very much looking forward to learning to learning a lot from everyone here!

View attachment 175309View attachment 175311
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @Wawa Skittletits
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova

Wagonlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

North Carolina
First Name
Daymon
Last Name
Keeton
Member #

Hello everyone. I'm from North Carolina near the Fayetteville area. I have a 2018 Power Wagon that I've started to build. I've installed the Thuren leveling kit, (coil/Fox shocks) front and rear track bar. I have the AEV Salta wheels with 37" Toyo's. I've upgraded my stereo to the 8.4 Ram factory unit. I've calibrated new tire size and TPMS sensors with the AEV Procal unit. I just installed the Moe's 87mm throttle body, S&P CAI, Pedal Commander, and Borla exhaust. I've done all the work myself at this point. I have in my garage and ready to install. ARB dual compressor. I ordered the air up/down system and waiting for it to arrive, so I can install the onboard air. I still haven't decided where to install it. I'm thinking about pulling the passenger fender off and mounting there if enough room allows doing so. Hopefully being on here will give me much-needed ideas. My plan moving forward is a Diamondback cover with a rail system for a rooftop tent. Then a fridge, and either a Deck or a pull-out slide system that covers the whole bed, where I can just pull out to get my gear. I saw one and they are fairly reasonable. Maybe I will build my own? Just depends on my available time. I also have in my garage the Abel Component Sway bar direct link and the Nanny Kill switch. I work out of town a lot, so I run out of time to do things, so just nibble away when I can. I'm thinking of a dual battery set-up and need some ideas. Hopefully, someone here has done this to give me more to go with what I'm already thinking. I plan to go out to Colorado & Utah at some point. Just want to have a capable rig. I'm posting a few pics. One is the day I picked it up. As you can see, I've de-badged it. All but the Power Wagon badging on the back tailgate. I like it simple. The other photo speaks for itself. Old glory and the branch I served. Glad to be apart of here and look forward to the information that's given in the threads. I had to add a photo. The last one is the day I installed the lift and front and rear track bars. You can see the difference in height between the before and after.

Attachments

mntbul

Rank I

Member I

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Chebul
Member #

Hello all...Mike here. I have grown up with 4x4's my whole life but I don't consider myself an expert by any means. Grew up in Montana and now live in Nebraska. I am currently rolling in a 2020 Tacoma and just put in an order for an off-road trailer. My wife Tammy doesn't like off-roading but loves camping so I hope to get her over her fear of real trails. We have done many bicycle camping and bike packing trips and I think she will really enjoy the overland community. 20200417_145805.jpg

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Hey Everyone!

Name: Chi
Rig: 2020 Land Rover Defender HSE
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Iceland (go back and forth 2 to 4x a year but not this year, unfortunately)
Offroad Experience: Intermediate
Overland Experience: Novice

About me: Huge photographer nut which is why I travel to Iceland often. If you're on Instagram, I'm "CHIDITTY" which is the same handle name on here. I'm also a National Parks fan. First National Park I ever went to was Zion National Park back in 2014 and I instantly fell in love - not only for the park itself but the entire National Park system and what they stand for.

Why Overland? While I am an avid camper, I have very little to no experience Overlanding. I have done a lot of offroading in the Highlands in Iceland but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. But upon my purchase of my Defender, this has motivated me to explore the world of Overlanding. I have several trips planned for later this year and next which includes having my Defender shipped out to the West Coast as well as, you guessed it - Iceland! Very excited to finally take my own vehicle rather than renting one.

Overall, I'm very excited to be part of this group and very much looking forward to learning to learning a lot from everyone here!

View attachment 175309View attachment 175311
How do you like the new Defender?

I think they're brilliant and would have a new 90 if I could afford it.

DMC707

Rank 0

Contributor I

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mcbride
Hi all! I found out about your community while watching youtube videos on how to outfit my rig - as well, i believe a former co worker os a pretty prolific overlander.

i reallyjust want to explore and camp along some of the easier trails within a fewhundred miles of my AO (im from Norman OK)
I am an avid motocrosser and DH mountain biker, but am really looking forward to something new i can do with my fiance and she has expressedinterest in camping. I dont think she is interested in padding up and hitting the slopes for downhill runs, but this would be a wonderful way to bond

We kayak a bit when the weather permits too.

My vehicle is a ‘18 Tacoma Sport 4wd. Im not interested in any vehicle mods outside of doing a few things to maximize storage and safety, but i love looking at the cool builds with the rack systems , roof tents and bed decks etc.

thanks for the add and i look forward to reading the great information here

Doug

DMC707

Rank 0

Contributor I

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mcbride
Hello all...Mike here. I have grown up with 4x4's my whole life but I don't consider myself an expert by any means. Grew up in Montana and now live in Nebraska. I am currently rolling in a 2020 Tacoma and just put in an order for an off-road trailer. My wife Tammy doesn't like off-roading but loves camping so I hope to get her over her fear of real trails. We have done many bicycle camping and bike packing trips and I think she will really enjoy the overland community. View attachment 175449

my Taco is the electric blue version , Hope to get some pics up soon _ your tale ofneeding something mellow to involve the wife sounds similar to me trying to get my fiance out and about. Anything we can do to involve our loved ones buys us more “credit” to partake in our individual stuff, So good on ya,

Reactions: Kent R and mntbul

ReverendOD

Rank I

Member I

US
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
ODonnell
Member #

After years without a trail capable rig when my XJ died we finally acquired our new overland vehicle. Time to get to work.

2021 GMC Canyon AT4
St Louis MO

Attachments

Reactions: Iwata77 and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
After years without a trail capable rig when my XJ died we finally acquired our new overland vehicle. Time to get to work.

2021 GMC Canyon AT4
St Louis MO
We look forward to seeing your progress with the Canyon.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Paris0514

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone. Just getting started in overlanding. Wanted a way to spend more time with the family away from our phones and computers.

Location- Southwest MO
Vehicles- 2008 Tundra and 2006 4runner
Experience- Rookie
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you in MO is @Paris0514, but if you are close to Oklahoma then @Prerunner1982 and @Iwata77 can help and if you are in Arkansas you can contact @BlueLineOverland.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Everyone,
From Central Illinois
I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler
Pretty much a novice at the overlanding but really enjoy it.
Good looking rig.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @James.Laidlaw, @geekhouse23, @Ohio Valley Overland.

Reactions: jkcrazytrain

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi all! I found out about your community while watching youtube videos on how to outfit my rig - as well, i believe a former co worker os a pretty prolific overlander.

i reallyjust want to explore and camp along some of the easier trails within a fewhundred miles of my AO (im from Norman OK)
I am an avid motocrosser and DH mountain biker, but am really looking forward to something new i can do with my fiance and she has expressedinterest in camping. I dont think she is interested in padding up and hitting the slopes for downhill runs, but this would be a wonderful way to bond

We kayak a bit when the weather permits too.

My vehicle is a ‘18 Tacoma Sport 4wd. Im not interested in any vehicle mods outside of doing a few things to maximize storage and safety, but i love looking at the cool builds with the rack systems , roof tents and bed decks etc.

thanks for the add and i look forward to reading the great information here

Doug
Welcome to Overland Bound Doug.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982, @Iwata77 both in OK

Reactions: Iwata77

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all...Mike here. I have grown up with 4x4's my whole life but I don't consider myself an expert by any means. Grew up in Montana and now live in Nebraska. I am currently rolling in a 2020 Tacoma and just put in an order for an off-road trailer. My wife Tammy doesn't like off-roading but loves camping so I hope to get her over her fear of real trails. We have done many bicycle camping and bike packing trips and I think she will really enjoy the overland community. View attachment 175449
Welcome to Overland Bound Mike.
Great color!
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Social Media:
RM FB; Facebook Groups
Our Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew

Reactions: mntbul

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone. I'm from North Carolina near the Fayetteville area. I have a 2018 Power Wagon that I've started to build. I've installed the Thuren leveling kit, (coil/Fox shocks) front and rear track bar. I have the AEV Salta wheels with 37" Toyo's. I've upgraded my stereo to the 8.4 Ram factory unit. I've calibrated new tire size and TPMS sensors with the AEV Procal unit. I just installed the Moe's 87mm throttle body, S&P CAI, Pedal Commander, and Borla exhaust. I've done all the work myself at this point. I have in my garage and ready to install. ARB dual compressor. I ordered the air up/down system and waiting for it to arrive, so I can install the onboard air. I still haven't decided where to install it. I'm thinking about pulling the passenger fender off and mounting there if enough room allows doing so. Hopefully being on here will give me much-needed ideas. My plan moving forward is a Diamondback cover with a rail system for a rooftop tent. Then a fridge, and either a Deck or a pull-out slide system that covers the whole bed, where I can just pull out to get my gear. I saw one and they are fairly reasonable. Maybe I will build my own? Just depends on my available time. I also have in my garage the Abel Component Sway bar direct link and the Nanny Kill switch. I work out of town a lot, so I run out of time to do things, so just nibble away when I can. I'm thinking of a dual battery set-up and need some ideas. Hopefully, someone here has done this to give me more to go with what I'm already thinking. I plan to go out to Colorado & Utah at some point. Just want to have a capable rig. I'm posting a few pics. One is the day I picked it up. As you can see, I've de-badged it. All but the Power Wagon badging on the back tailgate. I like it simple. The other photo speaks for itself. Old glory and the branch I served. Glad to be apart of here and look forward to the information that's given in the threads. I had to add a photo. The last one is the day I installed the lift and front and rear track bars. You can see the difference in height between the before and after.
Welcome To Overland Bound
Here is the link to our Full Size page;
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @NC-Trooper

Reactions: Wagonlander

PNWFJ80

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Elmira, OR, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Hannon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
haha I wish
Hi y'all, I'm Sean

1) Pictures image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0 (1).jpeg
2) Elmira, Oregon
3) 1992 FJ80; 2006 4Runner
4) Overlanding Experience Background pretty much a Novice and longtime lurker

Nearly a year ago in a midlife crisis of sorts, I had a pulmonary embolism on Nov.3 2019 (not fun to say the least). Then a broken ankle while shoveling snow. With those my priorities and outlook on life changed quite a bit. Out went a truck, and in came the fj80. Got a great price, butt needed and still needs some love. So in came the 4Runner for daily driving while the fj80 gets some love. Not too many pics of either but plenty of mods to come.
FJ80: parts to be installed/worked on:
Front bumper (on order with Delta VS
Warn evo-s 10K
Arb compressor
Engine Refresh (in the shop - right now)
Birfeld Rebuild ( in the shop - right now)
New muffler and test pipes (no Emissions testing in my area)
Slee 3.5" lift kit (installed)
new headlights
new grille
Hi-lift
Recovery kit
White Knuckle Offroad Sliders
Plenty more to come: rear bumper, inverter, drawers, 35's, re-gear, arb lockers

4Runner
dual battery kit by Offgrid Engineering in Colorado (2 interstate AGM's have been installed but no pic)
HID low beam
LED Hi beams
Inverter
33" tires

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Doug (@DMC707 ), welcome from Navina, Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

I am one of the SW Region Member Reps so if you have any questions let me know.