• HTML tutorial

MJonaGS32

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Hi All,

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. Here is a link to my rig:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/mjs-build-yes-finally-finding-time-to-do-this.160851/

Instagram: mjonags32

And a few pics of my rig:

Cleghorn Bar OHV - Plumas National Forest

Hells Revenge Trail (Moab, UT)

Rubicon Trail

Capitol Reef NP - Utah

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest

Signal Peak Trail - Tahoe National Forest

Deer Valley Trail - El Dorado National Forest

Last edited:

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

Hi All,

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. Here is a link to my rig:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/mjs-build-yes-finally-finding-time-to-do-this.160851/

Instagram: mjonags32

And a few pics of my rig:

Cleghorn Bar OHV - Plumas National Forest

Hells Revenge Trail (Moab, UT)

Rubicon Trail

Capitol Reef NP - Utah

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest

Signal Peak Trail - Tahoe National Forest

Deer Valley Trail - El Dorado National Forest
welcome! great rig!!

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Hi folks, just joined. Membership on it's way soon.

Based in the Northwest of the UK, but have travelled around Europe quite a bit.

Have 2 overland trucks, one a 2004 Mitsubishi L200, which I've had from 6 months old and has evolved over the years into quite capable overland truck. The other is a 30 year old (1986) Landrover 130 which I bought earlier this year as a rolling runner (just) and have thrown a stupid amount of money at over the last 4 months to get it somewhere near useable overland.

L200
This

Became this

And this

Was this

Which became this

And is still very much a work in progress.

Hamza Khamisa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Queens, NY
Member #

Greetings Overlanders!
My name is Hamza, I am 20 years old and I live in NY. I have been overlanding in my Willys M38-A1 and Ford GPW in Pakistan every summer for the past 5-6 years but I am completely new to overlanding in my home country, USA. I would love some advice and some trips that would be good for a first timer. I drive a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with some mods. I am currently working on preparing it for a trip from NY to Colorado in the summer of 2017.

FNGfromLA

Rank 0

Contributor I

Greetings all. I am just starting my research and information gathering for overlanding. My main reason is that I am a bit of a prepper. Overlanding rigs seem to be the best bugout vehicles and I and here to figure our what I will be purchasing.

My main goal up until now was to get something that is super low tech. I mean roll up/sliding windows. Old school diesel engine that is all but EMP proof. I have really been looking into an imported old school German Military G Wagon. Low end diesel engine to keep it simple. I just don't know if that is really going to be very doable. It's going to be my daily driver, and actually it'll probably be my wife that would drive it 90% of the time.

New car options are JKU, Pro 4x Frontier, Tacoma off road. My biggest concern is really going to be range and reliability. I like the aftermarket options for the jeep and the taco, but I really like the look and feel of the frontier. The wife like the jeep and the frontier best.

Another option I have really been thinking is a Grand Cherokee with the eco diesel. Mainly because of the range and they are pretty good for basic off roading.

Any ideas are welcome.

My current vehicle is a 2002 Honda Accound, :)

Reactions: Jose and Narbob

Robby

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, Tulare County, California, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Welcome fellow prepper!

well, I'm kind of a poser or just a really bad prepper. Whenever I get my preps in order, life happens and I end up using them to sustain. Maybe thats what makes me a better overlander.

When it comes to rigs, it would be my opinion that whatever is more comfortable to you, your wife, and your driving styles. Where do you want to go with it? Are you willing to have it prepped for bugout 100% of the time? Would you be looking to have quick load cargo for your bug out? All of the vehicles you're looking at would be good for all of the above questions. I am partial to the Jeep JKU but the Taco is a good, proven rig as well. They have adequate accessories for each and many non-specific-platform accessories can be applied to any. I'm not entirely familiar with the Nissan, but any of them would outperform your Accord.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I should have done this a while ago...but I still need to purchase my emblem.
Rig: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK
Experience: Competent [emoji12] I've been camping all my life and enjoy off roading. I just need to build up my rig for Overlanding.
Don't fret too much, Looks like you are on your way to building it up. My JGC is only has oversize tires!

Antonio Tovar

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hey guys, Antonio here 30, just literally picked up my Jeep on Saturday. 2016 Willy's and loving it so far, its nice to have a vehicle that actually is not falling apart. Living out of the San Jose, CA area and working in public transit out here as a Transit Safety Officer dealing with all that fun construction stuff. Well I would be considered new, basically novice but love the out doors and it has been more of a focus now to get out and about more and start learning from a new community. My buddy Mark in his JP#008 invited me here as a good place to start that venture, so I am pretty excited to start a slow build and attending future events.

14492446_993161913748_4781817001413877090_n.jpg

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Hey guys, Antonio here 30, just literally picked up my Jeep on Saturday. 2016 Willy's and loving it so far, its nice to have a vehicle that actually is not falling apart. Living out of the San Jose, CA area and working in public transit out here as a Transit Safety Officer dealing with all that fun construction stuff. Well I would be considered new, basically novice but love the out doors and it has been more of a focus now to get out and about more and start learning from a new community. My buddy Mark in his JP#008 invited me here as a good place to start that venture, so I am pretty excited to start a slow build and attending future events.
Welcome! There are lots of local people around the Bay Area on this forum. You'll be getting the Willy's nice and muddy before you know it:)

gotricesmurf

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX
Member #

Matt

1. Currently in San Antonio, Tx

2. 2015 JKUR and a 2015 Jeep Renegade TH (wife's)

3. I would say I'm competent/proficient due to camping/hunting/hiking my whole life. As well as being a 19D CAV scout in the US Army. So we pretty much have to do that type of stuff in the field or on deployments. Survival, Vic recovery, route reconnaissance etc. Slowly but surely I will get my rig more than capable for Overlanding.

Dustin Nisley

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey everyone, my name is Dustin, here are my stats:
1) Northern Indiana
2) 2012 Toyota Tundra
3) I am a novice to overlanding, but not the great outdoors.

I also like long walks in the woods.

Trying to get the wife and kids into enjoying the outdoors with me.

thanks for having me here!

GeraldVanDance

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hey, this is Doug and Family.
1) Sacramento, CA
2) 84 VW Westfalia 2wd
3) As defined, we've been overlanding pretty seriously beginning this year. We did a 30 day 8000 mile trip across the US and back and have been camping quite a bit.

My wife and kids love to travel and camp and see sights that only driving our van named Gerald can take us to. The kids named our van after Gerald the Giraffe in a children's book called "Giraffes can't dance".

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Hey, this is Tom -- a number of you met me at last weekend's Off the Grid. I had a great time, thanks to everyone who was so friendly and hospitable.

1. San Francisco, CA
2. 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser ("Matilda") - still mostly stock, except for some skid plates, a CB and extra front and rear floodlights / camping lights
3. I've only had the FJ about 4 months, I get off road about every other weekend - mostly short camping trips in Tahoe or Big Sur or learning runs on OHV areas close to home. I'm hoping to do some longer (~1 week) runs to the major parks out west like Yosemite, Moab, Zion, etc. I'm a bit inclined to spend as much time thinking about and/or installing mods on the car as planning trips, as I enjoy tinkering with hardware and wiring.

This picture is from Death Valley, the day after I picked up the car in Las Vegas.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Hey, this is Tom -- a number of you met me at last weekend's Off the Grid. I had a great time, thanks to everyone who was so friendly and hospitable.

1. San Francisco, CA
2. 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser ("Matilda") - still mostly stock, except for some skid plates, a CB and extra front and rear floodlights / camping lights
3. I've only had the FJ about 4 months, I get off road about every other weekend - mostly short camping trips in Tahoe or Big Sur or learning runs on OHV areas close to home. I'm hoping to do some longer (~1 week) runs to the major parks out west like Yosemite, Moab, Zion, etc. I'm a bit inclined to spend as much time thinking about and/or installing mods on the car as planning trips, as I enjoy tinkering with hardware and wiring.

This picture is from Death Valley, the day after I picked up the car in Las Vegas.
Whats up tom. Nice to meet you this weekend.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

1. San Francisco, CA

Hi Tom, it was nice meeting you as well. I'm in San Jose and if you ever want to go to Hollister Hills one day let me know.

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

View attachment 8219
She is a looker! Have you picked a name yet? Welcome to OB, I'm fairly new as well, but everyone has been very helpful and inspiring.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

1. San Francisco, CA

There he is, my neighbor at OTG. Well met, brother. LMK when you want to run trails down here. Had a little breakage on the trailer on its way home so I have a lot of tinkering to do myself lol.

Reactions: Meta6981