Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
New here but not to forums. Pacific Northwest native currently in Olympia. I have had a 1987 FJ60, 1973 FJ40, 1995 FZJ80. Currently have a project 1972 FJ55 and a 2015 BMW F800GSA. Selling the custom off-road camper I build many years ago. Build thread is over on IH8MUD.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Jedi for help or information. The Regional Director can also get you in touch with a Member Representative that might be close to you and have local information.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello! I'm Dan and looking forward to being part of the community. A bit of background...

I grew up camping, fishing, and hiking, then spent 9 years in the Army. In the last 28 years since leaving the Army, I've camped and hiked when possible, often driving my old Taurus where it shouldn't be driven for solo camping. Those days are long gone. In 2000, I got an Xterra and would do the same, but could not mod it because it was my wife's daily ride. 17 years later, I got to build it out over 2 years and began taking it out. Unfortunately, it was destroyed in a fire just few months ago. So, I bought a 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 and am starting to mod it on a fast track so I can make up for lost time. In all this time, I never knew there was an overloading community, but stumbled across it while researching mods people are doing. Some of the best info seems to come from Overland Bound, so I had to sign up.

The first picture I attached was me and my X. The second is my X after it burned. The third is the Disco 2 I just bought (stock), followed by the first mod just completed - added two radios, a new head unit, custom console, and room for switches. Got parts on the way for suspension, etc.

View attachment 113463View attachment 113464View attachment 113465View attachment 113466

Hope to see some of you out on the trail!

Dan

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you is @Barclay

Reactions: danl

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone,
Tony here, aka fusion94

Experience: I think I'm experienced, hard measurement to gauge though.

Sold my first gen Toyota Tundra (2002) two month ago and picked up a 2015 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. Old rig was setup to suit my needs but my 6 year old son outgrew the access cab. Look forward to the new buildout.

View attachment 113420

View attachment 113421

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you is @Magic Mike

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi everybody
My name is Michael.

Rig: 2018 Kia Sportage. No real plans for modifications yet besides better tires, but I love the idea of modifying non-traditional off road vehicles.

Experience: Almost none, off-roading wise. Experienced in camping, hiking, skiing, etc. what with being so close to the mountains and all.

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Jedi for help or information. The Regional Director can also get you in touch with a Member Representative that might be close to you and have local information.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone!
Newcomer here. I'm from cold Duluth, MN. I have done a bit of off roading with work, but the trails here in Minnesota aren't anything too challenging. Hoping to do more.
I drive a 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD off road. Love it to death.

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Your Regional Director is @Mike W . The Regional Director will be able to get you in touch with a local Member Representative.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey I’m Tyler, I have a 94 ford ranger and am from Bend Oregon

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello! Angelia Here.
Currently driving an 08 JK Sahara. Her name is Harlot. Gotta pay to play!
Husband is building his 61 willys wagon.

I grew up driving oregon desert backroads and western oregon logging roads. Husband grew up on logging roads and the oregon dunes. Generally in a pickup or cherokee. We've started exploring more and more here where we live in SE Oregon and western Idaho. Love camping. Love outdoors. Have a nasty autoimmune disease and my Jeep has given me the ability to be out and about again.

Our 13 year old loves to drive both cars in the pasture and on gravel roads. The rottweiler wishes he could drive too!

Reactions: PaintedHarlot

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Current Vehicle: 2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew FX4
Overland Experience: Novice

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @brien for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you is @Iwata77

Reactions: Iwata77

Whr2NxT

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Moseley, VA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Hi Everyone! My name is Tony. Married to a loving wife and father of two. Glad to be part of this group. I have a 2000 LX470 with 2” lift, tepui RTT that sits on a Baja flat rack, ARB bar which is hiding a 12,000 XRC winch. Hoping to meet some of you guys in the Richmond, VA area or out on the road. 32A9DD77-14A3-4178-83A9-CB1CB0AC9BE8.png

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
Hello Dan, welcome from Oklahoma.
I would be interested in seeing a picture of the antennas.
Also if you are interested we have a weekly Echolink net, every Friday evening.
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130
Hello Dan, welcome from Oklahoma.
I would be interested in seeing a picture of the antennas.
Also if you are interested we have a weekly Echolink net, every Friday evening.
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130
Hi Jon,

I don't have the antennas installed yet - hopefully this coming weekend. For the CB I have assorted Firestiks of different lengths all on quick disconnects so I can change out depending on my needs. I'll plan to use those mostly when moving off road. I also have a new 102" whip that I'm going to try using on top of an extra heavy duty spring while on highway, in town, or camp, but I figure I don't want that whipping around breaking anything. We'll see about that. For the Yaesu, I've got a Diamond 8900 that will take me from 10 meters up okay enough. Still need to figure out what I'm going to do for HF. Been thinking about something portable but not mobile that I can put out when getting to a destination. Not sure what shape that will take though, perhaps a loop or dipole. The attached picture shows what I had before my rig (Xterra) burned down - same Firestik and 8900 setup with different mounting than I'll do this time. This time I'll mount on the rear pillar or upper rear quarter panel using Breedlove ball mounts. Those are super heavy duty, so I'll need to figure out if I need to reinforce the body panels. I don't need anything tearing off! Any suggestions on my plans? I'm all ears.

Haven't used Echolink before. Looks like I'll probably need extra equipment since I don't have a shack at home. I'm strictly mobile/portable. I'll take a look and see what I need.

Thanks for the welcome and reply!

DanIMG_4782.JPG

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@danl nice looking X, sorry to hear it burned down.
For the Echolink net most of us just use the app, yeah I know it's cheating but not everyone has an echolink repeater nearby.
I run HF mobile also. I used to run an assortment of hamsticks but they aren't fond of hitting tree branches, after breaking 3 in 2 years I decided to go to something more robust. Luckily the hamsticks were cheap enough. Now I run a 102" whip with an adjustable loading coil for 11-40m similar to Wolf River Coils, need a shorter whip for 10m.
For portable I run a fan dipole with 20m and 40m elements so it also works on 6m and 15m with a little help from the internal tuner in the Kenwood TS-480sat.
We have a good communication subforum here as well.

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
@danl nice looking X, sorry to hear it burned down.
For the Echolink net most of us just use the app, yeah I know it's cheating but not everyone has an echolink repeater nearby.
I run HF mobile also. I used to run an assortment of hamsticks but they aren't fond of hitting tree branches, after breaking 3 in 2 years I decided to go to something more robust. Luckily the hamsticks were cheap enough. Now I run a 102" whip with an adjustable loading coil for 11-40m similar to Wolf River Coils, need a shorter whip for 10m.
We have a good communication subforum here as well.
I saw the communication sub forum and plan to spend some time in there. Looks like there's lot's of good info.

Re Echoling - Okay. I might cheat then and check it out!

I didn't think about using a 102" w adjustable coil for mobile HF. How well does it work? I have a friend who's suggested I get a baby tarheel, but I'm not thrilled about that. If it breaks, I won't be happy, and I'm sure I'll break it. 10m is covered by the 8900, so I'm good there, but using a 102" w coil will require yet another antenna on my rig. Oh well! If I could get with good results 11-40m I'm set.

Thanks.

Dan

ba.ventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
BA
Last Name
Ventures
Member #

Hey everyone! Beth and Adrian here. We are excited to be apart of the community!

1.) B782FEB2-4488-477F-A7F7-D16021F0D9FF-2000.jpg

2.) We are in Charlotte/Asheville, NC. Will be moving to the Fort Benning area around January.

3.) No current pics of the rig as we are between rigs. Had a 4 runner that got totaled so we are looking for a new rig. Making do with our daily drivers, 2003 Subaru Outback and a 2015 Ford Escape. We are a 2 human 3 dog(large dog) family. We are activaely looking at used Land Cruisers as we have determined those to be the appropriate size for human/canine adventures. Will update when we get our rig, which should be within the next month.

4.) Minimal experience overlanding; though we have done off road stuff, remote camping and hiked a crapton. Relevant outside experience in other areas, not sure why it took us this long to figure out overlanding is for us!

TexasCurt

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Curtis
Last Name
Lawson
New member here from Houston, TX! I currently have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 with Fab Fours front bumper/brush guard and a leveling kit. BFG KO2 AT's. I am about to purchase a 1999 Chevy K2500 6.5L diesel Suburban which I plan on turning into my main offroad rig. The Dodge is fantastic... I've never had any issues offroad.... but I have three kids and for long trips we need the additional seating and storage. I also have a pop-up camping trailer. I'm looking forward to meeting some folks in my region and learning from you all!

Attachments