Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

The first picture I attached was me and my X. The second is my X after it burned.)
You know reading that leads one to believe your EX burned lol.

Excuse my morbid humor. 12 year army vet so hopefully you will understand and relate.

Where did you serve post wise, I was 3cav and 4ID both ft. Carson.

• Haha
Reactions: Iwata77

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
You know reading that leads one to believe your EX burned lol.

Excuse my morbid humor. 12 year army vet so hopefully you will understand and relate.

Where did you serve post wise, I was 3cav and 4ID both ft. Carson.
Yeah, I did that on purpose. Some people don't get the humor, but I knew someone would find it funny - morbid but funny.

I was intel. Went to DLI in Monterrey CA, Good Fellow AFB TX, 4 1/2 years in Augsburg FRG, then 2 years back at Good Fellow as an AIT instructor. While in FRG, my unit (701st MI BDE) worked to monitor the guys east of us. I flew a couple of times with the 2nd Cav along the east/west border. Those guys were always on alert. Lots of respect for the Cav. All in all, my Army time was a good experience. I left in 1991 and have missed it (mostly the comaraderie) ever since.

Becks9923

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Wake Forest, NC, USA
First Name
Becca
Last Name
Adkins
Member #

New member here!
Rig: '17 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Experience: Novice

I've been following the overlanding community on YouTube for awhile and am just now starting to dabble in that arena myself. I've spent some time in VA, FL, and now NC but have nominal knowledge of overlanding opportunities here. Looking to learn and grow!

35463388_10215593907022133_679878509614596096_o.jpg

23795334_10213947176814907_3246595897196987584_n.jpg

Mike harpe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Yeah, I did that on purpose. Some people don't get the humor, but I knew someone would find it funny - morbid but funny.

I was intel. Went to DLI in Monterrey CA, Good Fellow AFB TX, 4 1/2 years in Augsburg FRG, then 2 years back at Good Fellow as an AIT instructor. While in FRG, my unit (701st MI BDE) worked to monitor the guys east of us. I flew a couple of times with the 2nd Cav along the east/west border. Those guys were always on alert. Lots of respect for the Cav. All in all, my Army time was a good experience. I left in 1991 and have missed it (mostly the comaraderie) ever since.
I hear you on the camaraderie part. I also miss the missions. Granted mentally I still think I’m 20 and hoah and then my body reminds me in 38 years old. If your ever around South Georgia look me up for a place to crash.

Reactions: danl

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
I hear you on the camaraderie part. I also miss the missions. Granted mentally I still think I’m 20 and hoah and then my body reminds me in 38 years old. If your ever around South Georgia look me up for a place to crash.
Thanks. Same. But I'm 58 now! Don't know how that happened, but my mind won't accept it then I get sharp reminders sometimes when I try to do something my body doesn't agree with. Up until about 3 years ago, I could still keep up (and sometimes outdo) with my 30 something kids on long runs, hikes, whatever, but these last few years have not been kind. That's how I'm getting more into this vehicle based overlanding. I won't go quietly though.

Mike harpe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Thanks. Same. But I'm 58 now! Don't know how that happened, but my mind won't accept it then I get sharp reminders sometimes when I try to do something my body doesn't agree with. Up until about 3 years ago, I could still keep up (and sometimes outdo) with my 30 something kids on long runs, hikes, whatever, but these last few years have not been kind. That's how I'm getting more into this vehicle based overlanding. I won't go quietly though.
I’m going vehicle based so I can cover more ground. As much as I love the idea of backpacking, I don’t wanna hump all that stuff. I was a mechanic not a grunt lol

Reactions: danl

Kokopelli

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sulphur, OK
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Herrmann
Member #

Hey guys, new member Jerry Herrmann here. I live in the Sulphur area of south central Oklahoma. Longtime 4 wheeler and camper but I just found this site and am looking forward to participating. I drive a "93 Jeep XJ and hit the woods as often as I can. A 24 year old jeep driven by a 67 year old man......what could possibly go wrong?? HA!

itsrikka

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vincennes, IN
First Name
Rikka
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Hey guys, new member Jerry Herrmann here. I live in the Sulphur area of south central Oklahoma. Longtime 4 wheeler and camper but I just found this site and am looking forward to participating. I drive a "93 Jeep XJ and hit the woods as often as I can. A 24 year old jeep driven by a 67 year old man......what could possibly go wrong?? HA!
Welcome to OB! Any mods to the XJ? I had an 88 with a 2" lift and 33s. Ol' Renix 4.0 and the AW4. Thing was a pig on the highway but great offroad.

Reactions: fasteddieyj

fasteddieyj

Rank I

Contributor III

Hanover, PA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Henderson
New member here from south central PA, about 30 mins east of the Gettysburg battlefields. Used to be into Jeeps and rockcrawling, but a busted up neck didn't agree with all of that bouncing around. Now driving a 2015 Tacoma DCLB. Bought it bone stock about 18 months ago. It now has a small lift, 265 all terrains (soon to be 285s), a Leer topper and some other small stuff. I've also got a small sleeping platform built for in the bed. Near future plans include a rack for the cap and possibly the roof also, recovery gear and probably some sort of dual battery or auxiliary power setup as I have bad sleep apnea and need to sleep with a cpap.

Attachments

Kokopelli

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sulphur, OK
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Herrmann
Member #

Welcome to OB! Any mods to the XJ? I had an 88 with a 2" lift and 33s. Ol' Renix 4.0 and the AW4. Thing was a pig on the highway but great offroad.
yeah, I ran a renix for awhile, the 93 was a nice step up. Some mods, 3" lift on 33"s and a complete restore/rebuild 3-4 yrs ago. I do most of my o/landing solo so the rebuild was done with a nod toward excellant reliability. Turned out pretty good and it does what I need it to do, no problem.

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Welcome from Tulsa!

fasteddieyj

Rank I

Contributor III

Hanover, PA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Henderson
My last Jeep was an 88 4 door XJ. It had 4" and 35's on it. I actually teared up a little when the new owner drove it away when I sold it.

itsrikka

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vincennes, IN
First Name
Rikka
Last Name
Lee
Member #

yeah, I ran a renix for awhile, the 93 was a nice step up. Some mods, 3" lift on 33"s and a complete restore/rebuild 3-4 yrs ago. I do most of my o/landing solo so the rebuild was done with a nod toward excellant reliability. Turned out pretty good and it does what I need it to do, no problem.
A friend of mine had a 92(?) with the "HO" 4.0. Same color and everything. We swapped for a day and he decided that the renix wasn't for him. :tearsofjoy:

My last Jeep was an 88 4 door XJ. It had 4" and 35's on it. I actually teared up a little when the new owner drove it away when I sold it.
I always wanted to go 2.5/3" with 35s. Nice LCOG. I ended up swapping mine for a 99 Subaru Legacy. Thus began my lifelong Subaru addiction.

Reactions: fasteddieyj

Hopalongjay

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Trunnelle
Just starting in overloading had experience years ago with off roading but I like overlanding much more. I am from casa grande,az and just got a 2016 trail premium 4runner. I put a 3inch dobinsons lift with upper control arms and extended break lines. I ordered rsg sliders. I still need tires. My name is jason

Last edited: