Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Hello OB,

I have finally joined the Overland Bound community, after years of following Michael on YouTube and thinking to myself "This looks awesome, I want to get into that!". I have always loved camping and enjoying outdoors, especially those places that are more off the beaten path and Overlanding seemed to be the perfect way to further that interest. So, a little while back I was looking for a new daily driver and decided to get something that would help me out with this, and I purchased a used 2004 4Runner. Currently the 4Runner is all stock, except for the stereo which I upgraded to something that was wireless Android Auto and CarPlay compatible (It would be awesome if they get Gaia GPS working on both of thes!). I am currently in Alamogordo, NM, which is about 90 minutes north of El Paso, TX. The area here is awesome, we have a good variety of terrains and habitats close by. The immediate area is all desert, with the usual desert stuff, and a large rock-crawling community. But only about 30 minutes outside of town is Lincoln National Forest in the nearby Sacramento Mountains. The scenery there is amazing, with small streams and plenty of forest roads/trails to explore. To get an idea of what it looks like, just look for pictures of Ruidosio or Cloudcroft, NM on Google. While I don't have any pictures of the 4Runner just yet, I will get some and post them up here soon. I am not an experienced Overlander just yet, my wife and I get out fairly often (especially now that we have the 4Runner) and explore what New Mexico has to offer!

I am thinking of starting my own YouTube channel, documenting the build of the 4Runner and showcasing the ability to jump into Overlanding with a stock vehicle, and progressing to a more off-road/rugged terrain capable build. I have made videos in the past and know the time investment that goes into editing and producing the content.

Let me know if any of you are near my area and want to plan a trip or meetup for the local area!

P.S. - I really like the idea of Trail Guardian cleanup events. Few things annoy (to put it lightly) me more than people leaving their trash out in the wilderness, or along side a road. Is it REALLY that hard to cleanup after yourself? Try leaving things in better condition that when you arrived!

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Hello OB,

I have finally joined the Overland Bound community, after years of following Michael on YouTube and thinking to myself "This looks awesome, I want to get into that!". I have always loved camping and enjoying outdoors, especially those places that are more off the beaten path and Overlanding seemed to be the perfect way to further that interest. So, a little while back I was looking for a new daily driver and decided to get something that would help me out with this, and I purchased a used 2004 4Runner. Currently the 4Runner is all stock, except for the stereo which I upgraded to something that was wireless Android Auto and CarPlay compatible (It would be awesome if they get Gaia GPS working on both of thes!). I am currently in Alamogordo, NM, which is about 90 minutes north of El Paso, TX. The area here is awesome, we have a good variety of terrains and habitats close by. The immediate area is all desert, with the usual desert stuff, and a large rock-crawling community. But only about 30 minutes outside of town is Lincoln National Forest in the nearby Sacramento Mountains. The scenery there is amazing, with small streams and plenty of forest roads/trails to explore. To get an idea of what it looks like, just look for pictures of Ruidosio or Cloudcroft, NM on Google. While I don't have any pictures of the 4Runner just yet, I will get some and post them up here soon. I am not an experienced Overlander just yet, my wife and I get out fairly often (especially now that we have the 4Runner) and explore what New Mexico has to offer!

I am thinking of starting my own YouTube channel, documenting the build of the 4Runner and showcasing the ability to jump into Overlanding with a stock vehicle, and progressing to a more off-road/rugged terrain capable build. I have made videos in the past and know the time investment that goes into editing and producing the content.

Let me know if any of you are near my area and want to plan a trip or meetup for the local area!

P.S. - I really like the idea of Trail Guardian cleanup events. Few things annoy (to put it lightly) me more than people leaving their trash out in the wilderness, or along side a road. Is it REALLY that hard to cleanup after yourself? Try leaving things in better condition that when you arrived!
Welcome to the team from NC! And it bugs the heck outa me too at the amount of disrespect folks have while leaving trash as far as the eye can see!

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Hello to all,
No current pictures of my ride
Main vehicle is a 1968 jeep m725, that I just rebuilt. Swapped in a sbc and over drive, rebuilt both diffs with lockers.
Done alot of tent camping since i was young then in the Army and now for fun.
Welcome from NC, can't wait to see your jeep!

Alf

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Rullan
Member #

Monty5150

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Raymond, WI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Montgomery
Member #

Welcome to a better life
Welcome to a better life.. ...that I think sums it up for me.. about 8 years ago we went on a family vacation and tent camped... it was like being in a homeless camp.. hundreds of people all around to much noise and people walking through our camp site... That was it for me. I found out about overlanding and I was hooked.

As a newbie welcome to the site..

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Hi everyone my name is Robert aka DoggMan1163 I drive a 2018 Tacoma TRD sport I have been in camping and over landing for many years I deliver oil field equipment and power poles all over the U.S. mainly use a simi truck but I do more offroad in it then my personal truck am always camping in it been in some really sketchy places with it so I do consider it as a Overland rig 20190708_114745.jpg20190708_114802.jpg20190708_114758.jpgthese were taken in Vermont getting there is only half the adventure 20190720_162656.jpg20190713_110535.jpg20190530_184531.jpg