Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
i am in Southern california and am brand new to overlanding. I am a currently looking into a rig to get and will be following a very tight budget since I am in highschool . Would love some input of good budget rigs. I am thinking about a xj, tacoma, a truck, or some suv. Thanks.
Found this in Sierra Vista Az. thought it might be something you could be interested in. A good starter rig.

Pointman_nh

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Hampshire
First Name
B
Last Name
Smith
Hi guys,

Newbie to OB. Been 4x4ing for 30 plus years in the mountains of NH and beaches of Cape Cod. Had Jeeps CJs, Cherokee, Tacoma and currently a 2010 Tundra TRD-oh and my army-issued Humvee back in the 90s (she leaked when it rained and was hot as hell but what a beast)!

I humbly consider myself somewhat experienced and fairly capable in my driving abilities. Just relocating to the White Mountains of NH now and transitioning into semi-retirement. Plan on trading Tundra before year’s end for a 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium (I want my moon roof).

With my love of travel and the outdoors, overlanding in my next phase of life seems like a good fit. Looking forward to my future trips! Look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Pointman_nh

S

softroad.406

Found this in Sierra Vista Az. thought it might be something you could be interested in. A good starter rig.
thanks for the help. i am only really looking for rigs down in the socal area.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
thanks for the help. i am only really looking for rigs down in the socal area.
NOT THAT FAR FROM SERRA V1STA AND IT DRIVES. GET MOM AND POP OUT FOR A WEEK END OF SIGHT SEEING.
You wont find anything cheaper or in better shape for the money especially in California. Keep in mind your terrible smog rules there.
Anything newer has to meet all those nasty regulations you have there. Your choice though !

S

softroad.406

That is true about the smog unless i get a diesel truck thats 1997 and older which is exempt from smog laws. I do want to look at some cars and trucks out in drying areas (AZ, Nevada, Utah) since there should be less rust. I feel that all the cheaper stuff is out side of california.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Daver4low

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Fernando, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Fierro
Member #

My name is David and I'm in San Fernando, Ca. I drive a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 off road with bed storage, Tepui RTT. Avid car guy since high school, I have a fair background and off-roading, and a few years slowly discovering the joys of overlanding (more this last year then anything). I had planned on joining everyone at the overland expo west, however work obligations vetoed that idea.

Attachments

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
My name is David and I'm in San Fernando, Ca. I drive a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 off road with bed storage, Tepui RTT. Avid car guy since high school, I have a fair background and off-roading, and a few years slowly discovering the joys of overlanding (more this last year then anything). I had planned on joining everyone at the overland expo west, however work obligations vetoed that idea.
Nice rig and Welcome!

Jim

Reactions: Daver4low
S

softroad.406

Nice tacoma

Reactions: Daver4low

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That is true about the smog unless i get a diesel truck thats 1997 and older which is exempt from smog laws. I do want to look at some cars and trucks out in drying areas (AZ, Nevada, Utah) since there should be less rust. I feel that all the cheaper stuff is out side of california.
That's my experience. I haven't seen a cleaner 80's model Bronco than this one in Sierra Vista. The people who live there are an older group and they take care of their cars. There is not a spot of rust on that Bronco II and it should have Fords work horse V6 3.2 engine which gets good gas mileage in the 22 mpg area. Best of all it is mid size and really looks great with big tires and a little lift that is an easy to modify. If I hadn't recently (February) bought myself a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2, I would be going to get that Bronco myself. There is also a small block Ford V8 swap kit made for that vehicle. anyway I wish you good luck in finding your perfect vehicle to build. It's nice to see younger people interested in the off road or overlanding scene. There is a good life out there in the boonies if one can see it and feel it. I lived in the area NE of Sacramento when I was 11-13 years old in a place call Outingdale, near Placerville. We were poor and lived off grid. I learned my love for the boonies then and loved my life there even tho I had to cut and chop 7 cords of wood a year for the wood stove. I went to a school that had 1st through 8th grade in one room with one teacher. I better shut up or I'll talk your head off. Good to see you on board though.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman
S

softroad.406

That's my experience. I haven't seen a cleaner 80's model Bronco than this one in Sierra Vista. The people who live there are an older group and they take care of their cars. There is not a spot of rust on that Bronco II and it should have Fords work horse V6 3.2 engine which gets good gas mileage in the 22 mpg area. Best of all it is mid size and really looks great with big tires and a little lift that is an easy to modify. If I hadn't recently (February) bought myself a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2, I would be going to get that Bronco myself. There is also a small block Ford V8 swap kit made for that vehicle. anyway I wish you good luck in finding your perfect vehicle to build. It's nice to see younger people interested in the off road or overlanding scene. There is a good life out there in the boonies if one can see it and feel it. I lived in the area NE of Sacramento when I was 11-13 years old in a place call Outingdale, near Placerville. We were poor and lived off grid. I learned my love for the boonies then and loved my life there even tho I had to cut and chop 7 cords of wood a year for the wood stove. I went to a school that had 1st through 8th grade in one room with one teacher. I better shut up or I'll talk your head off. Good to see you on board though.
Thanks for are your input. It's cool that you lived off grid, I know it is harder though, but the outdoors is such a beatuiful place to see God's creation. I agree about buying from older people becuase how they treat their stuff well. In this day and age, my gen. treats things easy come and go, and I strive to do the opposite. For a rig, I would have to pay more than half, but I bought a MTB recently so, I think it will be later this year before I can work enough to buy a decent rig.

Reactions: TerraRoamer

threeve

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

St. Charles, IL
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Foreman
Member #

Hello, I'm Jason from northern Illinois (far west Chicago suburbs).

I've been camping off and on basically my whole life, but now my 6 year old son is ready to go on "big adventures" so it's time to start getting more serious about it.

My rig is a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, mostly stock for now but I've added a roof rack and tailgate table so far. Soon I'll probably upgrade from our old Coleman cooler to a 12v fridge and possible wire it up to a dual battery system.

I look forward to learning all kinds of great stuff from these forums and maybe meet some of you out on the trails!

Reactions: Kent R

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for are your input. It's cool that you lived off grid, I know it is harder though, but the outdoors is such a beatuiful place to see God's creation. I agree about buying from older people becuase how they treat their stuff well. In this day and age, my gen. treats things easy come and go, and I strive to do the opposite. For a rig, I would have to pay more than half, but I bought a MTB recently so, I think it will be later this year before I can work enough to buy a decent rig.
All things come to those who work hard and praise GOD.

Eckroll

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dalton, NE, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Eckhardt
Member #

Hello Members,

My name is Mike and I reside in Modesto California. I grew up in Mariposa County and used to do a lot of overlanding of fire trails all through out the sierras in my 1995 Jeep YJ when I was in High School. Fast forward 14 years and I am now getting back into it with my 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter.

I have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL 2500 with the Z85 Max Tow package. It is the 6.0L/4L80E package with the G80/3.73:1 rear end. I currently have a Rough Country leveling kit on 285/75/16's, Engine has been treated to a S&B Intake and a Superchips 4845 programmer currently on the Tow tune. Other wise she is pretty much stock as I have only owned her for 2 months. I had a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost that was all set for overlanding but decided to go bigger to haul more items along trails.

I eventually would like to go with a 3.5" lift on 33's, Electronic lockers, on-board air, custom bumpers front and rear with winch, top rack with tent and a swing away tire carrier. I also plan to install my Yaesu radio's for Ham, Uniden Digital Scanner and possibly a Cobra CB as my Dad is old school and still uses CB's on trails, lol.

I am hoping this sparks my Son's interest in overlanding and keeping him away from the import car scene that is running a muck here in Modesto!

I will be purchasing a full membership soon and look forwards to attending events. I work as a Paramedic and always keep EMS gear in my truck which is a must to me when going off road, curious how many other EMS/Fire Brothers are members on here as well.

Thank you and hope to meet some of you soon.
Nice Burb!

Reactions: Portugeemike87

Jeemiester

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Sun Valley, CA
Member #

Welcome synchro! I'm new to overlanding myself and it took me a while to decide on a rig. My top 2 was between Land Cruiser and 4Runner and I'm not planning on crawling myself. Either one would have been great to start with but I chose Land Cruiser because it has a more solid base foundation. That being said, this group said it doesn't matter what you drive as long as you made capable to do what you like.

Welcome again!

Agustin David

Rank I

Enthusiast I

El Paso, TX
First Name
Agustin
Last Name
David
Hello my name is Agustin aka Augie from El Paso,TX
I drive 2003 Jeep TJ not a Rubicon
As far as experience in Overlanding well 23 Years in the Army 88M (Transporter) or civilian term Truck driver slept in my vehicle most of the time deployed oversea so I'm kinda use to sleeping in vehicles or next to my truck eating MREs.
I like to look for trails and area to camp unfortunately I really don't anyone in my area that like to do the same I'm retired and able to go almost anywhere.

Attachments

S

softroad.406

As far as experience in Overlanding well 23 Years in the Army 88M (Transporter) or civilian term Truck driver slept in my vehicle most of the time deployed oversea so I'm kinda use to sleeping in vehicles or next to my truck eating MREs.
I like to look for trails and area to camp unfortunately I really don't anyone in my area that like to do the same I'm retired and able to go almost anywhere.
Welcom to OB

Sirocco

Rank I

Contributor III

Cameron Park
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Block
Glad to find this group!

Met a guy in the grocery store parking lot that told me about Overland Bound so I had to check it out.
I've got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee , 4.7HO V8, 4" long arm Iron Rock lift on stock 31" Rubicon wheels/tires.
Lots of other mods to protect the underside and to assist in recovery when needed.
Can't wait to meet up with local members for some trail runs and to learn more about Overlanding.

Randy

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hello Augie, welcome to the OB and forum. Thank you very much for your service to this county and the sacrifices you have made. I am a relocated Texan from El Paso as a matter of fact. Born on the corner of Piedras and Montana in 1935 when there was a hospital there, then Sears and now the police department.

I now live not far away in a place Called Mimbres near Silver City, close to Lake Roberts. You have some back roads to the east of El Paso if you go through Fabens on the old Highway 192 and continue to Esperanza going eastward. After going through Esperanza continue until you come to Indian Hot springs road (that's when the dirt road starts) continue SE till you get to the hot springs. If you stay on that dirt road you will eventually come on in Sierra Blanca. Non of the road is technical but it's a good tour through the ranch country and where I go Deer hunting (or use to). There are many interesting things along the Rio Grande river there at Indian Hot Springs. On your way there you will see a trail called Quitman Pass road that may show you some adventurous technical mountain roading. If you ever come my way (156 mile) there are a lot of places up here that are beautiful and OB worthy. I have yet to get out on a lot of the back roads around my immediate area and would be happy to hook up with you to roam the mountain trails here. Las Cruces has a large group of 4wheelers with many excursions and technical rock crawling. Look up Las Cruces 4wheelers on internet. Or NM4wheelers.com.. Nice having you aboard and hope we can get together for some trips to the areas many lakes and OB trails.