Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

30762968_10155989383741140_8019331788541263872_n.jpg Hi all! My first post. I used to do lots of offroading as a kid with my dad but never really had a vehicle to do real overlanding. Now that I'm a big kid and have a rig to work on, I am ready to do some real exploring. This membership was a gift and it is turning out to be a really awesome one. Here is my truck, Trudy.

Showmemuny

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Munnerlyn
Member #

Hello all!
Rig: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with home made camping trailer.
Experience: I've been a Jeep owner since 1995. I have owned a 1975 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ, and a 1988 Jeep Cherokee. I have built up and wheeled all of them, I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade. Not sure wheeling is the same as overlanding, always seemed to be in a rush. I'm not in a hurry anymore.
But now that I have a family it's nice to take them out and explore.

ExploRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Pismo Beach, California
First Name
Devon
Last Name
Downing
Member #

31920986_640370702996264_2517644601246875648_n(1).jpg 31747044_2090861764524310_7726737717026881536_n.jpg

Hey everyone I'm Devon. I'm just getting started into overlanding but I've been interested in it for years. I live in Pismo Beach CA. I've got a 2008 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4. So far its got a leveling kit, 16" Method grid wheels and 265/70/R16 Yokohama tires. I've also recently installed a VisionX XPR 11" lightbar, sPOD unit and will be installing a pair of VisionX optimus duals near the A Pillars and eventually a RTT. I'm looking to meet up with people and maybe do some trips.

Tnez357

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Dallas
Member #

Greetings from Dallas, Tx, rig is an 2017 tacoma new to overlanding. Did lots of vechical based travel in the Marine Corps but novice at overlanding. Have done a couple of weekend trips with the family to some local spot and looking for a group in the DFW area to connect with.

Attachments

NorthGAwanderer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey! I'm Paul and I live in Acworth, Ga and go to school up in beautiful Dahlonega, He. I've been wanting to join the OB community ever since I discovered y'all, but I waited until my 2wd 07 4runner was a little bit more capable (i.e. tires, lift and winch) I've gone on a few trails here and there and am really new to overlanding, but I can't wait to meet some y'all and explore!

Reactions: Aussie571

BASF

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Maurepas, LA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DBJ
Hello, everyone! New member here.
My name is Casey, and I've named my new rig the "Bushtit," after a bird, of course.
It's a 2018 Tacoma Offroad that I ordered from the factory months ago, because I'm picky. It's the first *new* vehicle I've ever bought, and one of only two (of 20? 30?) that were legally roadworthy:). I just got it two days ago. I'm happy. :)
Like many people, I've been overlanding for years, but didn't know it had a name, and certainly didn't know other people had the same philosophy. Off roaders seemed to always be rock crawlers, or mudders, or something niche-y.... I always wanted to do those things, but to cover some distance, too. And experience the land around me on the way. I had a Jeep YJ for 12 years, and drove it over 200,000 miles- everywhere from Louisiana to Alaska and nearly all points in between. I've always liked to stay on gravel or funner where I could. I always had a theory that I wanted to build a rig not to get "anywhere," but to get me within hiking distance of anywhere... something that can roll down the highway nicely, carry appropriate amounts of gear, be reliable, and still perform off road. An expedition rig. An Overlanding rig.
Thanks for the wealth of information you all have provided- As a mariner, I spend vast swaths of my life on a boat in the middle of nowhere, and spend my off time in a vehicle in the middle of nowhere, but I"ll try to give back to the community where I can!
More later, great to 'meet' you all, and thanks for having me!
-BASF

augie09

Rank 0

Traveler I

Greetings OverlandBound, I'm Augie and I live in Kansas City.
I am a beginner at overlanding. Wife and I used to backpack, but then 3 kids happened. Our youngest, 4, is finally enjoying basic car camping, so we took the family on a 2 hour off-road drive to primitive camping in north west Arkansas, stayed 2 nights with a day hike in the middle. The family loved it. I recommend St. Francis Ozark National Forest.
Now we are planning a longer trip with more overlanding involved. If they family still likes it, I may start considering buying an older vehicle I can modify and not worry about damaging, or maybe modify my current vehicle. For now we are using my 2017 F150 Lariat, 3.55 Locking Rear, 3.5 eco boost, 10 speed, fx4 package, sport package, max tow package, 36 gallon extended fuel tank. This is my tow beast for my Wakesetter 23lsv so I think I'll consider buying an old tacoma or jeep if family wants to get more into overloading.

Patrick Langan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Langan
Member #

Hi ya’ll! I’m a novice at overlanding... spend most my time in national park campgrounds. I had a 2011 JKU, before it was totaled by a run a way forklift in a parking lot (yeah true story). Now I have a 2013 Ford Edge (will be replaced within a year to another Jeep). I’m looking at buying a trailer so it’s always ready to go. Looking at the Turtleback Expedition trailer. I have a family of four and looking to do more trips.

Attachments

Boone

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orting Washington
Member #

Hi folks! Really excited to be here! Like I've seen a few others say, I've been overlanding since I got my first rig but didn't know it was a thing till recently. Put thousands of miles on my 78 chevy blazer cruising the dirt roads of east Oregon. Now I'm in the puget sound region with a 93 jeep wrangler. Can't wait to get out and explore the area!

GTIDudeMkVI

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Y
Member #

Hi everyone. I am Will. I joined up last year, but work has kept me away. I have long had a love for camping, traveling, and adventure. My wife and I recently purchased our first off road project, a 96 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee. We are going to build an overland rig for the whole family. We live in Sunny SOCAL![emoji3] 20180517_071359.jpg20180517_162324.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using OB Talk mobile app

JustJake

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey ya'll,

Brand new to this forum. I tend to join forums for everything that I get fixated on, Harleys, boom boom sticks, Toyotas, Subarus, etc.

I will get a picture up soon.
I am back in my home state of MN for the last year. Prior to that, my wife and I, with our boys, lived in Idaho for 2 years. That is when my love for the off-road and camping mixed and grew. I didn't know what Overland was but we were doing it as much as possible. Now in MN, all I want to do is take a trail up a mountain and go camping....

My rig was a 2008 4 Runner Urban Runner. I had it set up with a bajarack and we would load it down and hit the trails. I rolled it one winter. I replaced it with a 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 base MT (our 3rd) due to not being able to afford another 4 Runner. I have been waiting for the day to buy another Toyota so I could setup my overland rig. I then had the epiphany that I can do almost the same with my Subie. As of this week, it will be 1.5" taller and have some great rubber and become my rig.

As for overland experience, my wife and I have a pretty solid camping system for us and the boys. We are tent campers and I am kind of a car nut- overland is a great mix. I look forward to learning and helping out where I can.

Wheel side down!

Jake

Edited: added pictures of new Method rims with Cooper AT3s. Man, do I love the aggressive look. I do not like the rubbing so I am patiently waiting for my new springs to come in to lift it to mitigate the rubbing.

This is with my Blizzak on steelies. Great tires.

With the Methods and Coopers. Great looking tire and extremely quiet compared to my Blizzaks. They rubbed on my new mud flaps so I had to take them off on the front.

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello all,

I suppose I was overlanding before I ever heard the term. I've done my share of hard care rockcrawling in heavily modified Jeeps, but after moving to Colorado back in 2005 (and getting older) I find myself more interested in mild 4wd trips with scenic camping along the way.

I presently use my one owner 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche which is basically stock. I sleep inside with the mid-gate down and I really enjoy this configuration. If I need extra space I have a 1966 military cable splicing trailer which also has 240w of solar.

I usually carry a couple amateur radios for local and long distant communications. When camping I'm usually set up to do Winlink which allows me to use ham radio for email and texting without cellular or satellite. I also have a hobby business specializing in cell booster systems.

My schedule is usually open so if you find yourself in Colorado and need an overlanding partner don't hesitate to look me up.

Attachments

Fish_into_gear

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Detroit, MI
Member #

Hey everyone, super stoked to join the community!
Vehicle: Toyota Tacoma SR5 stock, with minor mods (tires, air filter, etc)
Area: Michigan and Midwest, but drive all over the place when time allows
Favorite Spots: Bruce Peninsula, ON; Upper Peninsula, MI; Smoky Mountains, TN/NC; Mogollon Rim, AZ
Experience: various difficulties and lengths of overland trip, no hardcore rock crawling
Gear I can't live without: packable fly rods, Maxtrax, oyster knives, hardcover books

I overland to fish hidden waters, hunt quiet grouse covers, find wild ingredients and cook with them, discover local shops and eateries, and challenge myself.

mv7007007

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Scottsdale
Member #

New to this forum! (Late to the party) Scottsdale, AZ.

(Current) 3rd rig for exploration: 2016 4Runner SR5 Premium/Trail, Toytec 2.5-3" FJ Coils & Bilstein lift with 285/70/17 Cooper AT3, TRD skid plates and CAI equipped. Next up: C4 Fab rock sliders.
Previous Toy: 2008 4Runner SR5 in Titanium Metallic with 3" lift and lots of exploration.
Before that: '04 Jeep Rubicon, 4" short-arm lift and lots of extras.

Areas: Presently desert southwest (Phoenix, Prescott, Sedona, Flag, all over AZ). Moab recently. Previously North Carolina (all over the state - OBX to the Blue Ridge mtns). Pennsylvania prior - Rausch Creek and more with the Jeep.

Experience: All levels of trails. I've crawled in PA and AZ to desert overland and beach cruising.

I overland to explore AZ and experience the beauty of the SW. I double-dip with my mountain bike and try to find places I can overland and mountain bike.

Devin Turner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hazard, Ky
Member #

I recently acquired a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road after researching for years the next vehicle that I wanted to purchase when then time came. The truck is completely stock as of right now. I have been offroading my entire life with the majority of my experience being on 2 wheels. I remember watching the first overlanding video that I had ever seen on Youtube many years ago and instantly having the dreams of being able to travel with the overlander mind set. Now being a little older (24 haha) and having a capable rig, I figure it is time to make my dream a reality. I have had my vehicle for a little over a month now and have taken it on several weekend offroad and camping trips. I would like to extend my local trips into new areas and discover new places that I never knew before. I look forward to this lifestyle!

Vehicle: 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Experience: Brand new to the overland scene.30815915_1038997846252601_3417242063036052176_o.jpg

gx470_aaron

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Moss Point, MS, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoke
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
2004 4Runner SR5 V8 with basic mods. FJ lift, daystars, spidertrax, few other things.
My experience overlanding is novice but hoping to learn a lot here. I have been off roading when I was stationed in San Diego quite a bit though.

Attachments