Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

John Papp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hello All -- John and Susan Papp here from Colorado Springs, CO. We've been into the off-road thing for about 12 years now -- first with an 86 GMC Jimmy and then a full size Dodge Ram 1500 and then with a 75 Bronco and now with a little Toyota Tundra. As the kids have gotten older and moved on to other ventures, we have just started to focus our efforts on Overlanding. We don't have an up and running rig yet, but we are in the process of building out a 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser LC79 Dual Cab Pickup with the 4.5l Turbo Diesel engine. We have a ways to go -- and numerous hurdles still to clear -- but we hope to be on the road with the truck by the fall. We plan on towing a Conqueror off-road camper. I've attached a picture of what we hope the rig will look like. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

Kenneth Rountree

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

634 North Broad Street, Lenox, GA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KR4LNX
Hey y’all. I’m Ken. Been driving F-150’s for the past 30 years with a LR Discovery and a Cherokee thrown in along the way. I’m a rural appraiser specializing in farms and recreational tracts in the south and thought a JKU would be a good work vehicle. Like Leothe3rd above I’m coming off several years on a Harley and thought the Jeep would a fun compromise between work and play. My son has a 2 Door JK so I’m following his lead...including OB.

Attachments

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
Hey y’all. I’m Ken. Been driving F-150’s for the past 30 years with a LR Discovery and a Cherokee thrown in along the way. I’m a rural appraiser specializing in farms and recreational tracts in the south and thought a JKU would be a good work vehicle. Like Leothe3rd above I’m coming off several years on a Harley and thought the Jeep would a fun compromise between work and play. My son has a 2 Door JK so I’m following his lead...including OB.
Welcome to OB and the Jeep family!

Schreddy

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
He
New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
Hello and thanks for the add. My name is Steve and I,m from Ventura Ca. I have been calling off-roading trips over the past 40 years but I,m flexible overlanding it is. I have a fzj80 1997 year and also a gx470 that I will be modding later this summer after I have sold my fzj80. My favorite off-roading would be going where there aren,t many people at all. I,m not anti-social really but sometimes it’s nice to just sit and connect with nature without someone blazing by with their stereo cranked all the way up. I have been known the get into trouble for talking to a fellow overlander about our passion.
New Members,

From @administrator
  • Humility.
Th

Schreddy

Rank 0

Contributor I

I would have uploaded a picture of my rig but I,m couldn,t figure out how to do that. Not very good with computers or this online thing. Some advice would be appreciated? Thank you

tankedup

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
Hey all. Have lurked around for while. Finally signed up. Have been roaming around for while. My setup not exactly the norm in here. HaHa. I’m driving a brick wall. 86 K5 blazer. No gas mileage and loud, rough ride. Have a 12’ trailer with RTT. But I like it. In south Texas so spend lots of time padre island national seashore. But am currrently planing week in big bend for May or June. Anyhow looking forward to reading more of y’alls travels and see what gear is working for everyone.

Attachments

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hi all, I am in the Minden, NV area. I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3. I am a novice on OB but I am an experienced off-roader in my native Australia. Looking forward to meeting fellow OB members on trails and meet ups!
Welcome. Was just down in your neck of the woods...Minden not Australia. :sunglasses: There is a concerted effort to pull together a meet and greet in the greater Reno area (see thread here)

kcjoiner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Washington, United States
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Roy
Member #

Hey all. Have lurked around for while. Finally signed up. Have been roaming around for while. My setup not exactly the norm in here. HaHa. I’m driving a brick wall. 86 K5 blazer. No mileage and loud, rough ride. Have a 12’ trailer with RTT. But I like it. In south Texas so spend lots of time padre island national seashore. But am currrently planing week in big bend for May or June. Anyhow looking forward to reading more of y’alls travels and see what gear is working for everyone.
Nice setup you have! One of the many great things about OB is that it's not vehicle specific!

Aussie571

Local Expert, Australia NSW

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

Hi all, I am in the Minden, NV area. I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3. I am a novice on OB but I am an experienced off-roader in my native Australia. Looking forward to meeting fellow OB members on trails and meet ups!
Welcome Dingo Tamer from a fellow Aussie!

Sent from my SM-T580 using OB Talk mobile app

Girts

Rank 0

Contributor I

Latvia
Hi, all! I'm Ģirts. From Latvia. I'm not new to overlanding. We're here in Latvia are active offroaders and tourism offroad fans. So wanted to join here, to see what's happening here. I'm one of the members of www.4x4klubs.lv - Latvia's offroad club. We're organizing events yearly for latvian offroaders.
My rig pic attached. It's the second already :) Isuzu Trooper 3.1.TD, yr 2000.
rig.jpg

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

Hello All -- John and Susan Papp here from Colorado Springs, CO. We've been into the off-road thing for about 12 years now -- first with an 86 GMC Jimmy and then a full size Dodge Ram 1500 and then with a 75 Bronco and now with a little Toyota Tundra. As the kids have gotten older and moved on to other ventures, we have just started to focus our efforts on Overlanding. We don't have an up and running rig yet, but we are in the process of building out a 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser LC79 Dual Cab Pickup with the 4.5l Turbo Diesel engine. We have a ways to go -- and numerous hurdles still to clear -- but we hope to be on the road with the truck by the fall. We plan on towing a Conqueror off-road camper. I've attached a picture of what we hope the rig will look like. Fingers crossed.
I would give certain body parts of mine for a 79. Please post about what it takes, and costs, so I could git me wun.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Aussie571

John Papp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi, all! I'm Ģirts. From Latvia. I'm not new to overlanding. We're here in Latvia are active offroaders and tourism offroad fans. So wanted to join here, to see what's happening here. I'm one of the members of www.4x4klubs.lv - Latvia's offroad club. We're organizing events yearly for latvian offroaders.
My rig pic attached. It's the second already :) Isuzu Trooper 3.1.TD, yr 2000.
View attachment 50068
Girts -- You are from my favorite part of the world! The Baltic States are awesome! If I can ever pull together the funds for a once in a lifetime trip, I am grabbing my lovely wife and headed your way!

Reactions: Girts

Girts

Rank 0

Contributor I

Latvia
Girts -- You are from my favorite part of the world! The Baltic States are awesome! If I can ever pull together the funds for a once in a lifetime trip, I am grabbing my lovely wife and headed your way!
Nice to hear! :) Latvia is waiting for You! :)

PTR19

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Martinez
Member #

Hi everyone,

I"m a novice. I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado z71 stock. I live in Martinez CA. Im looking to go on some adventures. I love to go camping and love being outdoors. On a side note, I have a spinal cord injury. I don't see a lot of disabled people out there overlanding. Im looking forward to figuring out how to get out giving my disability.

aznpersuasion

Rank 0

Traveler I

Eglin Fl
Member #

Hi everyone. New guy here, obviously. Currently i am in crestview florida, before that was Az and before that was my home state oklahoma. i have a pretty extensive rockcrawling background, but want to do offroading more family friendly. i am currently building a ford 5.4 that i plan of putting into an expedition.

Reactions: Aussie571

Suspension Tuna

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Ana, Ca.
Member #

I'm Dan Edmunds, and I've enjoyed backcountry travel since I transitioned from backpacking to wheeling in the 1990s. I've done a few organized expedition-style trips, but mostly I explore on an ad-hoc basis with friends, oftentimes combining off-road exploring with geocaching, another outdoor hobby I'm into.

My main rig is a 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK. It started out as a Sport with AC and nothing else, and the idea was do a build that would go a little past Rubicon without spending as much as buying a Rubicon and throwing away a bunch of parts to get to the same place. I used to own an 80-series ('used to' is so hard to type) a TRD Tacoma, and a T-100 4x4 truck, among other vehicles. I'm extremely jealous of the new JL Rubicon, and I have a soft-spot for the TRD Tacoma based on my past involvement with the suspension development of the original as a Toyota Proving Ground employee. But I'm lucky because I'm currently an automotive journalist at Edmunds.com (no relation), so I get to drive all of them (and others besides) on trips because real-world evaluation and testing is still a big part of my current gig.

I recently joined Overland Bound after sitting on the sidelines, following a lot of instagram accounts (I'm @suspensiontuna there) and attending three of the last four Overland Expos. Among other things, I'm currently interested in building my own backcountry teardrop trailer after borrowing an Off-the-Grid rental unit. I'm sold on fixed sides and zero set-up time.

I recently ran a new JL Rubicon on the Mojave Road with past Toyota co-worker Dan Rich and other new overlanding friends, and it was a great trip. I can't wait to do more, and I'm game to help out with trip planning and logistics, something I did frequently at Toyota when planning and leading prototype test trips. We never stayed on the trail much on those runs, but as a reformed backpacker the Overlanding way of doing things seems like staying at the Ritz. For the most part I've got the driving and vehicle parts down, but I've got a lot to learn about being self-sufficient for days on end, is what I'm saying.

Hope to see you on the trail. And if you do, please don't get cross with me if we're near a geocache and I want to stop for it.

Dan OB 10740

Last edited: