Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Name: Bill
Local: Central Iowa
Vehicle: 2014 Jeep JK/Dinoot DIY trailer/Tepui RTT
Experience: Working on it....

Hi ya, folks. New member, old guy. Come from 30 years of backpacking. Would have come sooner had I known the benefits of a toothbrush with the handle still intact, cooking real food in cast iron instead of $6 packets of flavored freeze-dried sawdust reconstituted in a wafer thin tin pot , a 3" mattress instead of a half inch thick egg crate foam pad and most especially, a real camp chair with a back and arms instead of a rock. Why didn't any of you say something sooner?
Anyway, look forward to learning a bunch from you young guinea pi, rather, outdoorsmen and women.
Hello Bill...welcome to the OB crew.Well your definitely off to a great start with your set up. Very nice...

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
Name: Rob
Location: Ripon, CA (sandwiched between Modesto and Stockton)
Current Vehicle: 2003 Mitsubishi Montero XLS, 1993 Nissan Pathfinder SE
Previous Vehicle: 1995 Toyota 4Runner
Overland Experience: Novice
Why Overlanding?: Discovered this group from the YouTube channel. Great content here. You all know your stuff.
I am getting back into exploring the dirt after almost 20 years without a rig. I have a little bit of experience having done the Miller Jeep Trail a couple of times in a bone stock 1995 4Runner. A couple years ago I picked up a 1993 Pathfinder for $400 that needed an alternator. Well, it needed that and a transmission with 1st and 4th gear. I've been using it to putt around town but have been itching to explore the area. Yesterday, I bought a 2003 Montero. It's pretty clean and the prior owner seemed to have taken great care of it. It has 122,000 on it and drives great. He couldn't remember changing the timing belt so that is something I'll do right away. His wife drove the truck to work and back and they kept in the garage. She hit a dog with it and cracked the bumper. I plan on doing some minor work on it. Would like to put sliders on it, add a wench, and protect the rear bumper.
Trying to decide if I should sell the Pathfinder or keep it and let my 16-year-old son wheel it with me (after we replace the transmission). Leaning on selling since it's pretty much a tin can when it comes to safety.

I have three kids and they all love the Montero (one of the reasons I wanted a 7 seater). Even the wife is impressed.

Looking forward to being a part of this. Are there many Montero rigs in the group?

Image-12.jpg 20170927_181258.jpg 20170928_121757.jpg 20170928_121821.jpg 20170928_121938.jpg 20170928_122007.jpg PathfinderNew.jpg

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Why Overlanding?: Discovered this group from the YouTube channel. Great content here. You all know your stuff.
I am getting back into exploring the dirt after almost 20 years without a rig. I have a little bit of experience having done the Miller Jeep Trail a couple of times in a bone stock 1995 4Runner. A couple years ago I picked up a 1993 Pathfinder for $400 that needed an alternator. Well, it needed that and a transmission with 1st and 4th gear. I've been using it to putt around town but have been itching to explore the area. Yesterday, I bought a 2003 Montero. It's pretty clean and the prior owner seemed to have taken great care of it. It has 122,000 on it and drives great. He couldn't remember changing the timing belt so that is something I'll do right away. His wife drove the truck to work and back and they kept in the garage. She hit a dog with it and cracked the bumper. I plan on doing some minor work on it. Would like to put sliders on it , add a wench, and protect the rear bumper.
Trying to decide if I should sell the Pathfinder or keep it and let my 16-year-old son wheel it with me (after we replace the transmission). Leaning on selling since it's pretty much a tin can when it comes to safety.

I have three kids and they all love the Montero (one of the reasons I wanted a 7 seater). Even the wife is impressed.

Looking forward to being a part of this. Are there many Montero rigs in the group?
Hello Rob...welcome to the OB crew

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
I am getting back into exploring the dirt after almost 20 years without a rig. I have a little bit of experience having done the Miller Jeep Trail a couple of times in a bone stock 1995 4Runner. A couple years ago I picked up a 1993 Pathfinder for $400 that needed an alternator. Well, it needed that and a transmission with 1st and 4th gear. I've been using it to putt around town but have been itching to explore the area. Yesterday, I bought a 2003 Montero. It's pretty clean and the prior owner seemed to have taken great care of it. It has 122,000 on it and drives great. He couldn't remember changing the timing belt so that is something I'll do right away. His wife drove the truck to work and back and they kept in the garage. She hit a dog with it and cracked the bumper. I plan on doing some minor work on it. Would like to put sliders on it , add a wench, and protect the rear bumper.

Finally, another 3rd Gen. There's a Mitsubishi registry on here somewhere. A search for Montero doesn't yield much so it's pretty easy to find. Welcome to the family. Nice Monty BTW

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hi Rob and welcome to OB! Nice looking rigs! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Member 5271 here.
Name: Jason A. Brueggen
Rigs: 1996 4Runner Limited, 1997 4Runner SR5 5 speed
My family and I love exploring trails whenever possible. Both rigs capable of wheeling but the 96 is built for more difficult terrain. I'm a bit of an introvert so I don't go to meets usually if I don't know anybody but I'd love to meet some locals that don't bash each other b/c of what they drive and how they drive it.
Hello Jason and Welcome to OB! Your rig sounds awesome!

Bryan_FRO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Agoura Hills CA
Member #

Hello Everyone,

So glad to be part of such an awesome group! I can't wait for the adventures to begin!

Rig: 2017 Chevy Colorado Z71
Experience: I would consider myself an intermediate off-roader. I started off-roading a few years ago when I began working for Front Runner Outfitters and now I can't stop traveling. From the Sierras to an eclipse in the Northwest, I just want to do it all.

Cheers,
Bryan Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 8.13.31 AM.png

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello Everyone,

So glad to be part of such an awesome group! I can't wait for the adventures to begin!

Rig: 2017 Chevy Colorado Z71
Experience: I would consider myself an intermediate off-roader. I started off-roading a few years ago when I began working for Front Runner Outfitters and now I can't stop traveling. From the Sierras to an eclipse in the Northwest, I just want to do it all.

Cheers,
Bryan View attachment 35716
Hello Bryan...welcome to the OB crew

Paul Fernandez

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Miami, FL
Paul here - in Miami, FL.

We have a 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail. Only upgrades so far are tires - to the BFG AT T/A KO2s in 275/70/17, and I swapped out the roof rack for an older model...the older OEM one's a bit more functional than the 5th generation. Definitely a Novice. Not much "overlanding" to be done down here per se. We typically camp with no support other than what's brought with us, but I'd hardly call that overlanding. Why am I here? KNOWLEDGE! Planning one of those "once in a lifetime" trips in Utah and there will be plenty of vehicle-only supported travel during that time. The trip is 12-18 months away. This is the typical camp rig setup...of course it will change for the trip - no trailer.

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

Attachments

Reactions: DanR

Don Jackson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grove City, Ohio 43123
First Name
Don
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Sup Everyone,

Rig: 2003 Hummer H2 (Stock)
Experience: I would consider myself as an intermediate wheeler. I have owned 2 Jeep Wranglers 90 & 95, Chevy Tahoe 01 , and now a Hummer H2. I'm new to the overland movement but look forward to getting involved.

20170831_185517-1[1].jpg

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Sup Everyone,

Rig: 2003 Hummer H2 (Stock)
Experience: I would consider myself as an intermediate wheeler. I have owned 2 Jeep Wranglers 90 & 95, Chevy Tahoe 01 , and now a Hummer H2. I'm new to the overland movement but look forward to getting involved.

View attachment 35726
Hello and welcome to the OB crew

Riverski

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

kingman
Member #

1) upload_2017-9-29_15-51-6.png
2) Location: Northern Arizona
3) Rig: 1996 Chevy Silverado K1500
4) Overlanding Experience: United States Marine veteran so My A** Rode In Navy Equipment for the most part but a couple of convoys and hunting trips are really about it just excited on creating new memories and taking on fun and challenging adventures hopefully with some friends!!

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

1) View attachment 35736
2) Location: Northern Arizona
3) Rig: 1996 Chevy Silverado K1500
4) Overlanding Experience: United States Marine veteran so My A** Rode In Navy Equipment for the most part but a couple of convoys and hunting trips are really about it just excited on creating new memories and taking on fun and challenging adventures hopefully with some friends!!
Hello.....and welcome to the OB crew...btw...you're welcome for the ride..haha U.S. Navy veteran here....thank you for your service and sacrifice

Reactions: Riverski

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
20150925_145720.jpg
Name: Kaleb
Rig: '07 GX 470 Stock-ish
Skill Level: n00b

When I was a kid we went car camping a lot. I have always loved the outdoors but as life took more and more of my free time that outdoor life got less and less of my attention. Then one day it was time to get another car and I decided that car was going to allow me take my family camping where ever we could find time to... be it by off road or by travel trailer or overpacked road trip.

Last edited:

BornFreeOVRLand

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa ana, California
Member #

My name is Matt
Rig: 2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon, long travel off-road evolution bolt on coilovers kit, 5:13 gears, 37 inch toyo tires, stock lockers and swaybar disconnect, spod, kc and jl lights, poison spyder bumpers, rock sliders, body protection, front runner table gate, and other stuff with many plans for more.
20170929_173027.jpg
Have been camping and offroading for quite sometime now but new to overlanding, but infatuated with overland travel.

Reactions: DanR and Chadlyb