Enthusiast I

Martinez, California, United States
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Perry
Member #

New here from So Cal.

Doing research before diving in to overland world.

Considering a Subaru Outback purchase & modifying to make it more capable for light off roading & fun camping with my family.

The criterion that has to be met are:
- comfortable for 5 total passengers on long trips

- decent gas mileage to be my daily driver (already ruled out trucks). 20-25+ is a dream.

- capable off road. Nothing aggressive

- looks great (although I’m pretty into the look of all overland vehicles I’ve seen so far. The mods are just plain cool)

Any other suggestions than the Outback?
Hi Jonnymac,

That was the vehicle I had considered until I decided on a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk to satisfy the mpg and offroad necessity. If you are okay with a 4cyl out back and do not plan on any rougher offroading trips (not even light rock crawling) then youll probably be fine. Just bear in mind that they do not come with a full size spare and the 6cyl engine may become necessary for 5 passengers and gear if you are going into higher mountain altitudes but then you will sacrifice mpg. I do not have any passenger carrying issues but there is more space in the outbacks rear as well. I opted for more offroad capability knowing it is better to have it and not need it and I am very happy I did... as I am already finding out how capable it truly is.

Good luck!

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

plundathacastle67

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

New Bern, NC, USA
First Name
Kade
Last Name
Castle
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
Hi all! I’m Kade! I own a 2003 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 and a 2012 Toyota Tundra off road. I’m in the Marine Corps and about to exit service soon! I’m pretty excited for new adventures! I’ve been overlanding my whole life with all types of climes. My most recent trip was out to Uwharrie National forest in NC for some good times. My family is from Africa and have done trips in Windhoek, Namibia all the way to Ivory Coast and as well as my time spent living in Ghana. I grew up mostly in Africa, Arizona and Germany with a military family! I’m excited to get out and meet some cool people doing what i love. My wife and my two pups are my crew and thank you for letting me share! I’ll be in Costa Rica soon to do some overlanding out there! Super stoked.104538104539104540104541

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Hi all! I’m Kade! I own a 2003 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 and a 2012 Toyota Tundra off road. I’m in the Marine Corps and about to exit service soon! I’m pretty excited for new adventures! I’ve been overlanding my whole life with all types of climes. My most recent trip was out to Uwharrie National forest in NC for some good times. My family is from Africa and have done trips in Windhoek, Namibia all the way to Ivory Coast and as well as my time spent living in Ghana. I grew up mostly in Africa, Arizona and Germany with a military family! I’m excited to get out and meet some cool people doing what i love. My wife and my two pups are my crew and thank you for letting me share! I’ll be in Costa Rica soon to do some overlanding out there! Super stoked.View attachment 104538View attachment 104539View attachment 104540View attachment 104541
Nice rig and family! Welcome!

Reactions: plundathacastle67

Hartski

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Iowa
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Hello, everyone. Obviously new guy here. The wife and I enjoyed tent camping, but wanted to start to travel and explore more. I've been watching everything I could about Overland Camping in the past few months, and we decided it would be a cool thing to get into. See the real America, not just from the interstate. (that's where all the people are)
Short rig description, I have a 2015 Silverado, and she drives a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. We are buying an offroad trailer, and it should be here in a couple weeks.

logicalrock

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Parker, Colorado, United States
First Name
Will
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HKJ
Service Branch
USMC
Name: Will Peterson
Rig: 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Dusk Edition Orange
Overlanding Experience Background: No real Overlanding experience, Military and playing in a lot of dirt and sand in several types of vehicles though

I am excited to see where this goes........

This is the truck this past season in Flagstaff Arizona
snowTruck.jpg

This is a mix-up of all the places I took this truck in the first 6 weeks. There are pretty decent amateur videos that I posted to YouTube

mix_up_truck.jpg

This is my new Roof Top Tent that just showed up yesterday! Can't install it yet because somehow it made it here before the bed rack!

new_RTT.jpg

4WheelAstroHack

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carmichael, CA, USA
First Name
heath
Last Name
hatheway
Member #

Name: Will Peterson
Rig: 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Dusk Edition Orange
Overlanding Experience Background: No real Overlanding experience, Military and playing in a lot of dirt and sand in several types of vehicles though

I am excited to see where this goes........

This is the truck this past season in Flagstaff Arizona
View attachment 104556

This is a mix-up of all the places I took this truck in the first 6 weeks. There are pretty decent amateur videos that I posted to YouTube

View attachment 104554

This is my new Roof Top Tent that just showed up yesterday! Can't install it yet because somehow it made it here before the bed rack!

View attachment 104555
Nice truck!

Reactions: logicalrock

cisco_nh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Caiazzi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1LUC
Reactions: Overland Husker

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hello everyone!

My name is Patrick and o drive a 1995 Toyota 4Runner. It is equipped with the 3.0 V6 and now a manual transmission, I swapped the out for the failing automatic. I have plans for swapping a newer 3.4 V6 from the 96-04 Toyota’s. The 4Runner will soon have a 4inch lift and 33x12.50s in the next 6 months or so. I have goals of building a off road capable teardrop trailer. I have a few years of off road driving but haven’t done any in the past 6 years or so. I’ve been slowly, and I mean slowly building the 4Runner and will hopefully be exploring all over western Washington before I PCS. I’m in the Navy and I’m located on
Welcome! Welcome! I'm in OH as well. If you need anything or want to to a trail, hit me up. I'm always open! Glad to have ya here.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hello! I am Jeff from Maumee, Ohio. I am a little more that novice but I wouldn't say I am fully experienced. I am an Eagle Scout and have spent my whole life camping and enjoying the great outdoors. I have spent 15 days hiking in the Rockies, 10 days portaging in Northern Minnesota and everything in between. I have 2 young kids that I am starting to expose to the outdoor lifestyle and can't wait to see where that takes us. I drive a 2008 Jeep Commander that has a 2.5" lift, 32" BFG KO2s, Jeep Steel bumper with 12,000lb winch, custom rock sliders, Powertrax rear locker, lots of lights and custom storage box in the rear. One thing I have learned from being in the off-road community is that you are never done upgrading your vehicle, so I am sure I will make more changes down the road. Thanks for having me!
Welcome and nice Jeep. Rare to see those beasts around.

Reactions: HiJeffinition

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Rig: 2000 Land Rover Discovery II (with 220k miles)(new steel bumpers front and back since this photo was taken on the Mojave Road)
Experience: In 1980 I bought my first car, a 1962 Willys CJ5 Jeep —Dang! I wish I still had that thing!. In the 90's I had a 1986 FJ60 Land Cruiser —Dang again! Wish I still had this one too!. Now I own a LR Discovery that I've had for sixteen years. She's my daily driver. I've driven all of these vehicles to the outback and beyond. My parents were jet setters and we never camped when I was a child. Now? Every chance I get I'm gone. My brother is an overlander too. We both have teenage girls and they've acquired quite a taste for adventuring.
Welcome and awesome Disco.

Trekka_OT

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Tennessee, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4CPQ
Hello everyone, very Novice and just beginning this journey. I have done different off-roading in the past but it wasn’t organized or purposeful. Now seeking to explore. I live in Middle Tennessee. I also do have a Ham license. Vehicle info to come.