Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

My apologies, I have been blowing up the forums and never introduced myself. I'm Murphy

1) Location: San Diego CA,
2) 2015 4x2 Jeep Patriot.S. 2.4L SFI
3) Overlanding Experience Background: Always been a big camper with my scout troop before moving to the States. I upgraded from a Toyota corolla in may and have since explored more of the southern area of the Cleveland National Forest here in Southern CA. Experience as a camper, i'd say moderate, as someone with an overland rig...novice. Hoping to change that with a lift, new tires/wheels, and some engine upgrades.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
My apologies, I have been blowing up the forums and never introduced myself. I'm Murphy

1) Location: San Diego CA,
2) 2015 4x2 Jeep Patriot.S. 2.4L SFI
3) Overlanding Experience Background: Always been a big camper with my scout troop before moving to the States. I upgraded from a Toyota corolla in may and have since explored more of the southern area of the Cleveland National Forest here in Southern CA. Experience as a camper, i'd say moderate, as someone with an overland rig...novice. Hoping to change that with a lift, new tires/wheels, and some engine upgrades.
Welcome! Glad to have you on board!

Wooks

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Member #

Hi!

Brand new to the forum, love the overland bound videos!

1. 1997 Land Cruiser, 40th Anniversary Edition, Currenty "Bone Stock"
2. San Francisco Bay Area, East Bay (510!!)
3. I've been exploring forest roads by vehicle since I was a kid but am relatively new to off-road "trails" such as Rubicon, Fordyce, etc.

My wife and I have 2 young children and we are very interested in group trips and family friendly events.

The Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Arnold and Topaz Lake (NV) areas are some of our favorite to explore.

Last edited:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi!

Brand new to the forum, love the overland bound videos!

1. 1997 Land Cruiser, 40th Anniversary Edition, Currenty "Bone Stock"
2. San Francisco Bay Area, East Bay (510!!)
3. I've been exploring forest roads by vehicle since I was a kid but am relatively new to off-road "trails" such as Rubicon, Fordyce, etc.

My wife and I have 2 young children and we are very interested in group trips and family friendly events.

The Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Arnold and Topaz Lake (NV) areas are some of our favorite to explore.
Try Lake Alpine area including Slick Rock and Corral Hollow!

Welcome!

M

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

First post. Found this place through the Jeep Patriot Forum.

1; 2015 Jeep Patriot High Altitude 4x4 (hoping to get a KLR650 soon)
2; Southern Illinois
3; Grew up on dirt bikes in the East Mesa / Apache Jct. Az. area, lived in that desert as a teenaged explorer before it was fenced. Spent a decade or so in SW Louisiana before the music business moved me North. Bought 30 acres of woods in Southern Illinois and built an "off the grid" hunting/camping cabin with hand saws, chain saws and no power. It's my escape place and it's less than 2 miles from my house.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

First post. Found this place through the Jeep Patriot Forum.

1; 2015 Jeep Patriot High Altitude 4x4 (hoping to get a KLR650 soon)
2; Southern Illinois
3; Grew up on dirt bikes in the East Mesa / Apache Jct. Az. area, lived in that desert as a teenaged explorer before it was fenced. Spent a decade or so in SW Louisiana before the music business moved me North. Bought 30 acres of woods in Southern Illinois and built an "off the grid" hunting/camping cabin with hand saws, chain saws and no power. It's my escape place and it's less than 2 miles from my house.
A KLR? I had one of those for a season (I traded it in to buy my wife her dream bike). They are buckets of fun but for some reason as soon as you get one - especially a first-generation KLR - you get allergic to spending money. Need some panniers? BMW guys will buy $5,000 welded aluminum cases, KTM guys will throw a nice dry-bag over the tail. KLR owners will bolt a couple of war-surplus ammo cans to the back and call it a day. I don't know what it is about a Gen-1 KLR, but it really inspires the owner to get out for as little as possible, to be creative in making their own solutions rather than buying something off the rack, and to not only not care about how bad it makes the bike look, but to actually take a bit of pride in it's chopped-together appearance.

In terms of giggles per dollar, it's hard to go wrong. That being said, you can often pick up a KTM 650 for about the same price as a KLR. I have a couple of friends with them going to Baja with me later this year and they love those bikes. It might be worth looking at the KTM as well as the KLR when you are ready to buy.

Reactions: Chadlyb and SLO Rob