Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
Name: Bill
Local: Central Iowa
Vehicle: 2014 Jeep JK/Dinoot DIY trailer/Tepui RTT
Experience: Working on it....

Hi ya, folks. New member, old guy. Come from 30 years of backpacking. Would have come sooner had I known the benefits of a toothbrush with the handle still intact, cooking real food in cast iron instead of $6 packets of flavored freeze-dried sawdust reconstituted in a wafer thin tin pot , a 3" mattress instead of a half inch thick egg crate foam pad and most especially, a real camp chair with a back and arms instead of a rock. Why didn't any of you say something sooner?
Anyway, look forward to learning a bunch from you young guinea pi, rather, outdoorsmen and women.
Great looking trailer man! Welcome.

Hello,

my name is Joerg and I'm from Germany. I recently purchased a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubcon (JK) and already started to build it up a little (bumper, tires, winch, rock rails). It's so much fun driving it that I was thinking what to do with it as "Offroading" is very much limited here in Germany. When searching for some offroad driving training I realized that there a also guided tours in the Alps, Romania, etc. available. I read through some travel reports, had a look at a lot of amazing picture of "pure" nature without mass tourism and think "overlanding" is what I want.

Currently I'm thinking about how to start ... a complete overlanding gear is quite expensive so I assume I have to build it up step by step ... but which steps are to take first, what gear to choose. I hope for lots of information on this forum.

I just can't keep the think clean, I HAVE to take very mudhole on my way;-) ... Here's a picture of it, with not too much dirt on it:

View attachment 37515

Welcome Joerg! Its great to have another Jeep owner in the group.

You should check out a forum I started about members and the ways they have gone with their Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-builds.10405/

Hi everyone,
I'm Steve, I have an:
06 Liberty renegade
View attachment 37497
It has about a 2.5" compression lift, ( which will be upgraded ) and not much else... Yet.
I have some experience 4wheeling among many other outdoor passions, but new to Overlanding.
My Wife, kids and I are looking forward to meeting like-minded people and new adventures.
I am located in Hesperia, Ca.

Feel free to contact me...
Nice looking Jeep! Welcome

Reactions: Srod
Hello,View attachment 37304

1.) See attached for a picture
2) Weiden in der Oberpfalz, Bavaria, Germany
3) 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2DR "Rhino"
4) 10 years (and counting) in the military. Expert in fieldcraft and general driving, though I'm sure many longtime overlanders could still take me to school any day.

Looking forward to traveling and experiencing the world with you all.

Welcome! Its great to see another jeep owner on here.

Check out this Forum I started about Jeep builds by members.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-builds.10405/

View attachment 36952
1) Picture was taken in Yellowstone beginning of June 2017
2) Cheyenne, Wyoming
3) 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
4) Overlanding Experience: Ive done a lot of off-roading, camping, general exploring but would consider myself to be somewhere in the beginner stages of overlanding although getting out and exploring I've always done with having been in the Boy Scouts and Military. All upgrades on the Jeep were made the end of 2016 beginning of 2017. Getting out exploring as much as I can.

Great Set Up on your Jeep. Welcome!

You should check out this forum I started taking about members Jeeps and their builds.

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

I'm digging on all the new members with jeeps here, but do drool over other manufacturers also. Welcome everyone, and hope you have a ball here.

Reactions: Josey Wales

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
Hey folks. David, new here from just outside of Nashville, Tennessee. My wife and I have two children, two dogs, and both work in healthcare. We also both have serious wanderlust and live to explore all of the amazing places that our country has to offer. The Southwest and the Rockies are where we long to live eventually, but for now we are enjoying being in Tennessee.

My wife and I recently decided that it was time to start prepping our 2016 Ram 2500 for some overlanding next year so I have been scouring the web, reading up on other Ram 2500 builds, and stumbled across Overland Bound in the process.

We've been fortunate to own a variety of vehicles over the past few years and honestly turning the Ram into "yet another off-road vehicle" was never really part of the plan when we bought it. To the contrary, we were looking to get away from the off-road scene for a while and just have something big, reliable and powerful to serve as my daily driver and take care of business whenever something needed towed, hauled or uprooted. The fact that it can be transformed into something overland capable has been a welcomed discovery as we began to feel the familiar tug of the backroads and no-roads on our hearts.

I guess to give an idea of where we're headed with our build it's somewhat appropriate to talk about where we've been.

This is my former 2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams. We bought it new and I built it up over the course of a year for an adventure we took out in the American Southwest:

I set it up with an Icon suspension, Cooper STT tires, an Expedition One front bumper, HAM radio and a variety of other gear. I ran out of time and money before the trip to put a winch on it, but we didn't let that deter us. We plowed forth and spent two amazing weeks traveling from Tennessee to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Moab, Ouray, Silverton, Telluride and eventually back home. That photo was taken in Moab on Potash Road.

A while later we lucked into a deal too good to pass up on a 2011 Ford Raptor. We owned it up until recently and by the time we sold it (for a profit, of all things) it served as my daily driver and saw a variety of modifications. While we took it on several trips, it never made its way back out West where it really could have been some fun.

This photo was from a weekend drive out in the Land Between the Lakes area of Kentucky and Tennessee. It loved the dirt.

When the new 3.6L Pentastar engines came out in the freshened-up 2012 Jeep Wrangler, we replaced my wife's vehicle with a 2012 JKU Rubicon. She took over the Raptor as her daily for a while and I built the Jeep into what was our most capable vehicle yet. We did a LOT of off-road exploring with it and loved every minute of it.

As they say, everything is for sale at the right price, though. A gentleman offered me far more for it than it had cost me to build it, and I took him up on the sale. I kind of wish I hadn't.

But if every end is another beginning, that means parting with the Wrangler has lead me to our Ram 2500. I am dubbing it the "Land Shark" because of the Granite Crystal Paint and because deep down inside I'm still a 13-year old boy who has to give his toys super cool names. :sunglasses:

Currently, I have installed a Pure Performance 3" lift/level with Fox 2.0 shocks, Method wheels, and it's now shod with Toyo M/T 35-inch tires. Other than that, it is a blank slate for me to go nuts with.

I have some Rigid D2 and SAE DOT legal driving lights to put in the bumper this weekend, and have started amassing the gear to put my Icom ID-4100A shortwave radio in it. Next up will be some White Knuckle rock sliders to replace the wimpy running boards, and then we'll move on to building a bed rack for a roof-top tent and then maybe a Buckstop front bumper to accommodate a winch. I won't have another off-road vehicle without a winch. We got lucky without one in the FJC.

Eventually I'll replace the Fox shocks with some King Pintops from Carli, and maybe replace some more of the suspension bits with gear from Carli as well. The Pure Performance springs are quite nice so I won't replace them unless I have to.

Anyway, that's pretty much the story of my build and a bit about me and my family. I look forward to learning from you all and sharing with you what little I know. I'm pretty handy with a wrench and electronics, so maybe I can contribute in some way. :)

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

Wonderful write up and intro. Any time you hit SW Colorado again, hit me up. I would be delighted to make a run with you and maybe show you some new trails.

Reactions: GoXplore

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
Wonderful write up and intro. Any time you hit SW Colorado again, hit me up. I would be delighted to make a run with you and maybe show you some new trails.
I would love that. Thank you! Colorado is such a beautiful state. Once you get the mountains in your blood, you never get over it.

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

You don't know how much I agree. The older I get the more geocentric I get. I just can't live without having a view of the Rockies.

Reactions: GoXplore

Adv3nture_B0und

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Alabama, USA
First Name
Reis
Last Name
Griffin
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
t4r_mammoth mountain.JPG
--Here she is at Mammoth Mountain

Currently in South Carolina
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Overlanding... I recently learned about this new term "overlanding" from a good friend in Las Vegas, NV when I saw his SAS Xterra with a RTT on it. After more questions and a few beers, I realized I needed to learn more about this lifestyle because it was...me. I've been hiking, backpacking, and camping for years... this is the next level!

JCase

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Downingtown PA 19335
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Case
Member #

Hey Everyone,

My name is Josh and I do a lot of videography, photography, and drone operations.
I am located in southeastern Pennsylvania, right outside of Philadelphia.
I bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 10 months ago and I love it.

I have always been an outdoors kind of person, but never really knew the term overloading. I am excited to begin this journey
and explore the outdoors with my rig. Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 9.57.13 PM.png

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello and welcome to the OB crew...so many new faces and all those new Toys and rigs....excited to see the surge of new blood here on The OB....:sunglasses:

Reactions: John D.