Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

overlandozzy

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
Im Jon, from Western NC. I'm married, 22 and own my second toyota, (I've owned 2 jeeps, a dodge cummins, 97 toyota, and a duramax before now). New to overlanding, wanting to learn more about the sport and get into camping more. I've grown up in the woods hunting and fishing. I grew up on a small farm in Central NC. I'm really wanting to meet new people in the area and get going with the build and get traveling. My ride is an 06 Tacoma DCSB TRD Offroad. 135k miles as of right now. Bought used with 128k but for a toyota that seems to be pretty low for where I'm from. Ive owned a 97 that had 347k on it and still ran like a top. If anyone has some suggestions for the build or anything let me know, if I knew how to upload a picture I ould but I don't have any on my computer at the moment. If anyone is reading this and is located in Northwestern GA, SC, or Western NC let me know maybe we can meetup or make a trip happen here with the summer coming on strong! Look forward to making new friends and learning as I go.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome everyone!

First post here. Longtime overland and off-road tourer. Being that I drive a Subaru "soft-roader," I appreciate the open mindset with "it doesn't matter what you drive." :grinning:

Currently I run a MY06 Subaru Forester with a 1" lift and King springs. It's my ideal everyday vehicle. Practical daily driver, and capable enough for my needs off road. I like the idea of taking full advantage of my modest vehicle's abilities, rather than driving something that's overkill 99 percent of the time. So far, it's worked out well.

I did leave the Forester behind in the US during two multi-year stints in West Africa, where I drove various Toyotas, incl. a 1998 100-Series Land Cruiser with a 3.0l diesel. Wish I could have taken that one back with me. It wasn't quick by any means, but it had all the torque you'd ever need, and lovely sideways bench seats in the trunk. The kids affectionately referred to it as "The Bulldozer." :grinning:

Look forward to reading up, and enjoying the diverse group of vehicles and overland adventures. Cheers!
Welcome fellow off road Subaru driver. Don't sell your Forester short because its a very capable vehicle. Feel free to check out what some of your AWD OB peers have been up to and feel free to chime in.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/subaru-owners-registry.3450/

Reactions: Rocky and Escher

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

Hello from Ken in Northern Colorado, joining a really cool group of enthusiast that enjoy what I have been doing for a while. We have had Jeeps in the past that I set up for going in the back country of Colorado. We have had to give them up for somthing not so exiting, now we have a Subaru Forester which I have started setting it up to do the same.

Chris Aquino

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hello! My name is Chris and I live in Seattle, WA. I drive a 2005 GX470, with RCI skids/sliders and an OME 2.5 inch lift. This is my first 4x4 and a novice at both camping/hiking and overlanding. I am excited to learn from you all and explore the great PNW. Can't wait to go adventures!

Drover

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Brisbane, Australia
Member #

Hi From Brisbane Australia, we have just joined the cause and ordered the platinum option too, we have a couple of four wheel drives, a 105 Series Toyota Landcruiser and a Mitsubishi Triton Dual Cab, keen to catch up with some South East Queenslanders for some exploring with our 4 kidlets.

Our day job is outfitting adventure vehicles ( Mostly Electrical) so this is all very close to our heart, and will happily get involved with tech info if you need :)

Anthony & Kylie !

Chris Aquino

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hello! My name is Chris and I live in Seattle, WA. I drive a 2005 GX470, with RCI skids/sliders and an OME 2.5 inch lift. This is my first 4x4 and a novice at both camping/hiking and overlanding. I am excited to learn from you all and explore the great PNW. Can't wait to go adventures!
Here's a picture of my rig from Douglas Creek in WA

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

Hello! My name is Nick, I am from Provo, Utah! I am in the market for a bigger overland rig (I am thinking Wrangler or 4Runner) but I am currently driving an '06 Subaru Outback. Excited to be here!

Reactions: OverlandxjRon

Escher

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Washington, DC, USA
Member #

Hello! My name is Nick, I am from Provo, Utah! I am in the market for a bigger overland rig (I am thinking Wrangler or 4Runner) but I am currently driving an '06 Subaru Outback. Excited to be here!
Welcome, @ngurney! From one new member to another new member. :wink:

Being that I'm a fellow Subaru driver, I'd vote for sticking with your Outback. However, having recently spent a week in Moab, I can understand the allure of wanting a bigger vehicle. Lots of different possibilities, both in terms of vehicles and overloading journeys. :grinning:

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

Welcome, @ngurney! From one new member to another new member. :wink:

Being that I'm a fellow Subaru driver, I'd vote for sticking with your Outback. However, having recently spent a week in Moab, I can understand the allure of wanting a bigger vehicle. Lots of different possibilities, both in terms of vehicles and overloading journeys. :grinning:
I have loved my Subi, but my wife loves Jeeps and I have been offroading with ATVs since I was a kid so I want something that can do a bit more. Excited to see how the forums can help!

Traveler I

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.

dshirt

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston, TX
Member #

Loc: Houston
Rig: 97 LC
Exp: Not much, wanted to gain new experiences out there rather than sitting in a city. Bought the LC 3 years ago in San Fran but just in the last year have I taken it out. 5000 mile trip to Bay of Fundy and various other smaller trips. Started meeting others by spotting vehicles built up and asking them about it. Hope to see y'all out there.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Working on getting my 2016 4Runner ready for an upcoming Trans America Trail trip. Just going to be my son and I having man time. Parts and accessories are arriving everyday now in preparation. I just joined the OB group today and am looking forward to exchanging ideas and hopefully meeting some like-minded people along the way. And finally, hopefully the pic will post here, I have included a pic of my super novice RTT. Took the $2K for the RTT and ordered some suspension. Cheers all.

Attachments

cdpadilla

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
Hello, I'm new around here from Ripon California. I have a 2010 GMC sierra. I found the group while looking into new 4runners and how I wanted one set up. Things changed quickly when my wife and I decided to buy a new travel trailer so I'm keeping the truck. It's lifted now but more of a mall crawler than a trail runner. Hopefully with some changes I'll be ready for some exploring! I would love to hear anyone's advice or links to some other bigger truck builds.

Giffmann

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

North Carolina
Member #

Hello! My name is Gifford and I'm from Colorado Springs. Just recently picked up an 2007 Tacoma DCSB so the family can explore more of this beautiful state that we have moved to.

No real mods to the truck yet, other than a Tonneau and a Light Bar in the bumper. Plan to add rock rails and a lift soon, as well a new skid plate.

Looking forward to finding new adventures and helping this community grow!

Reactions: ngurney

ovrlndJK

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Tucson, AZ
Member #

Hey everyone. My name is Sam and I'm excited about what I've seen on this forum so far. I'm in southern Arizona and I drive a 2011 JKU. I've always enjoyed being outdoors and offroading. My previous jeeps were more centered around just offroading/ mild rock crawling, but I've now been going more for the overland capable setup. I'm stoked to get to know you guys and learn as much as I can!
IMG_3640.JPG