Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

Hello, everyone. I just joined this community and this is my first post. I am from Utah. I drive an older rig, a 1994 Chevy Suburban with a 6.5 turbo diesel, requiring seating for 6+ people, plus gear, expandable to 11, when the kids bring their friends. Occasionally, I tow heavy. I've been offroading since I was 16, always driving Chevy/GMC vehicles: K5 Blazer, 1/2 ton pickup, 3/4 ton pickup and now the diesel Suburban, which I purchased in Bellingham WA a decade ago. I enjoy the Suburban, mostly for all the space it offers and its excellent utility and reliability. It has served my family well for these past ten years. We have explored the Pacific Northwest, mountain regions of Montana, Idaho, Nevado and Utah, parts of California, and the redrock desert of Utah. Two years ago we took it on a long, cross country camping expedition with 7 people covering a dozen states in the Midwest. It has been a good rig and has been a fun hobby maintaining and improving it, to make it more reliable, economical and useful. My priorities are: reliability - I've been stranded too many times in my teens and 20s and really try to avoid it as an adult with kids; economy and range - the 6.5 diesel is a motor designed for fuel efficiency over raw power which works for my purposes; Utility and cargo space - I tend to overpack, so having extra space is kind of nice inside and on top.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you. seeing the creative ideas you have come up with for your rigs, and learning about your overland adventures.

Sawtooth Mountains in late October, upper northwest corner of Utah.
View attachment 19556
Welcome. I love that big 'ole rig. Reminds me of the station wagon my best friends parents used to tote us around the world in. I also can't wait to come see your part of the states.

Reactions: Snowburb

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

View attachment 18579 Hello all! I am OB3740 and am currently located in the Phoenix, AZ area. I have a 2017 QuickSand TRD OF Taco that is currently stock, but I cannot wait to start turning this into my ultimate Overland rig! I am new to Overlanding, but 4 wheeling has been a staple in my life since I can remember.

View attachment 18576 View attachment 18574 [/ATTACH] View attachment 18577
I got to see a truck exactly like this on St.Paddy's day. These are really nice.

Snowburb

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Utah County, UT, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tullis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7DMT
You
Welcome. I love that big 'ole rig. Reminds me of the station wagon my best friends parents used to tote us around the world in. I also can't wait to come see your part of the states.
Plan a trip to Utah! I'm happy to give you some tips. I took my rig to MO a couple years ago and explored your state a bit. Loved those rolling hills. We took a lot of obscure side roads and saw some beautiful country. The kids learned some lessons about ticks too!

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Hello, everyone. I just joined this community and this is my first post. I am from Utah. I drive an older rig, a 1994 Chevy Suburban with a 6.5 turbo diesel, requiring seating for 6+ people, plus gear, expandable to 11, when the kids bring their friends. Occasionally, I tow heavy. I've been offroading since I was 16, always driving Chevy/GMC vehicles: K5 Blazer, 1/2 ton pickup, 3/4 ton pickup and now the diesel Suburban, which I purchased in Bellingham WA a decade ago. I enjoy the Suburban, mostly for all the space it offers and its excellent utility and reliability. It has served my family well for these past ten years. We have explored the Pacific Northwest, mountain regions of Montana, Idaho, Nevado and Utah, parts of California, and the redrock desert of Utah. Two years ago we took it on a long, cross country camping expedition with 7 people covering a dozen states in the Midwest. It has been a good rig and has been a fun hobby maintaining and improving it, to make it more reliable, economical and useful. My priorities are: reliability - I've been stranded too many times in my teens and 20s and really try to avoid it as an adult with kids; economy and range - the 6.5 diesel is a motor designed for fuel efficiency over raw power which works for my purposes; Utility and cargo space - I tend to overpack, so having extra space is kind of nice inside and on top.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you. seeing the creative ideas you have come up with for your rigs, and learning about your overland adventures.

Sawtooth Mountains in late October, upper northwest corner of Utah.
View attachment 19556
Nice rig! Welcome! ruldstoo

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

98tacoma3rz

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania
Member #

Hi, been a member for a while but first post. Been doing this solo for about 6 years but I'm really enjoying the friends I've made along the way, so I've been going
out with groups a lot more. My rig is my tried and true 95.5 Tacome (el chupacabra). I'm located in the southeast in the Memphis area but venture all over. Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.
Awesome truck . Love regular cabs. Can you give some details on her??

Ghostrider

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Collierville Tn 38017
Member #

Awesome truck . Love regular cabs. Can you give some details on her??
Sure, it's a 95.5, 3rz, manual transmission. Allpro UCA, all poly bushings. Bilstine 5164 front and rear. Front struts are the threaded adjustable bodies with eibach 650 lb springs. Rear allpro expo leaf springs for a 98 Tacoma. Relocated rear hangers and shackle mounts. 4:56 gears rear ARB locker. ARB dual compressor and pump up kit with 1gal reserve tank and manifold. The camper area is insulated for winter comfort and pet quarters. Trail gear front and rear bumpers. 4xinnovation swing out tire carrier grafted to rear bumper. 4xinnovation sliders, traveler 9000lb winch. Currently building a roof rack to fit around the camper that will float out over the roof. I plan on relocating my spare up there on the front part and the rear will hold my RTT which should be arriving shortly. That will be my fair weather apartment. Once that is done I have 2 more scepter cans and mount that will take the tires place. Currently running a Midland 1001LWX cb with a 5' spring mounted Firestick but I plan to add a short wave soon. I have ram mounts in the tiny, tiny cab for my Garmin and my Samsung tab active running Gaia. And I'm running Mickey Thompson MTZ Baja claws 33x12.5x15 on fuel revolver wheels. This is my 3rd child. I think that's it but I'm sure I forgot something. Planning a 5vz swap this summer.

sent from the starship Enterprise

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Sure, it's a 95.5, 3rz, manual transmission. Allpro UCA, all poly bushings. Bilstine 5164 front and rear. Front struts are the threaded adjustable bodies with eibach 650 lb springs. Rear allpro expo leaf springs for a 98 Tacoma. Relocated rear hangers and shackle mounts. 4:56 gears rear ARB locker. ARB dual compressor and pump up kit with 1gal reserve tank and manifold. The camper area is insulated for winter comfort and pet quarters. Trail gear front and rear bumpers. 4xinnovation swing out tire carrier grafted to rear bumper. 4xinnovation sliders, traveler 9000lb winch. Currently building a roof rack to fit around the camper that will float out over the roof. I plan on relocating my spare up there on the front part and the rear will hold my RTT which should be arriving shortly. That will be my fair weather apartment. Once that is done I have 2 more scepter cans and mount that will take the tires place. Currently running a Midland 1001LWX cb with a 5' spring mounted Firestick but I plan to add a short wave soon. I have ram mounts in the tiny, tiny cab for my Garmin and my Samsung tab active running Gaia. And I'm running Mickey Thompson MTZ Baja claws 33x12.5x15 on fuel revolver wheels. This is my 3rd child. I think that's it but I'm sure I forgot something. Planning a 5vz swap this summer.

sent from the starship Enterprise
That sounds like a nice setup. The 3RZ is a strong reliable engine, but I hear ya' on wanting more power. Instead of the V6, you should go for the 4.7 V8 since you are swapping out anyway. :)

Reactions: Ghostrider

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
You

Plan a trip to Utah! I'm happy to give you some tips. I took my rig to MO a couple years ago and explored your state a bit. Loved those rolling hills. We took a lot of obscure side roads and saw some beautiful country. The kids learned some lessons about ticks too!
I love Utah. I have driven most every paved road up there and it is awesome. Definitely one of my top 3 favorite states to be in.

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

You

LOL....on bad years we call them freckles, and freckles can be ANYWHERE. A friend of mine has me checking out moab and zion park. I want to "Hike the Narrows" so badly.

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

Hi, been a member for a while but first post. Been doing this solo for about 6 years but I'm really enjoying the friends I've made along the way, so I've been going
out with groups a lot more. My rig is my tried and true 95.5 Tacome (el chupacabra). I'm located in the southeast in the Memphis area but venture all over. Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.
I gotta say this is my favorite Taco body style, but the newer one is starting to grow on me.

Reactions: Ghostrider

MJthetravelingLJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Durham
Member #

Howdy! Glad to be a part of the group and look forward to pushing myself outdoors

Rig: 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ
Experience: Novice at best! Recently acquired my LJ and very slowly building it up to outfit & explore. Check out my profile for more and updates on my upcoming cross country trip this June.

Snowburb

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Utah County, UT, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tullis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7DMT
I love Utah. I have driven most every paved road up there and it is awesome. Definitely one of my top 3 favorite states to be in.
Utah is famous for some pretty amazing paved roads, as described in the Utah Scenice Byways website https://www.visitutah.com/plan-your-trip/getting-around-utah/scenic-byways/. But there are even more spectacular unpaved roads, and downright primitive jeep trails, all over the state that are surprisingly seldom traversed. One trail that I took in Cathedral Valley recently, near Capitol Reef, had only one other vehicle on it the entire 5+ hour trip - and it was a full size Ford pickup with a shell carrying a really cool, state of the art rowboat on top of the shell, coming up a rocky jeep trail as I was coming down. It took some figuring out to find a safe place to pass, but as we passed we had a little conversation and shared a few thoughts. I learned that this truck was from Georgia and was doing a cross country overland expedition. That was the only other vehicle on that trail all day.

nelsoncycles

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH
Member #

Hello, I drive a 1996 Isuzu Trooper. I have a moderate amount of land based travel experience on various motorized and unmotorized platforms. I live in central Ohio.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Hello, I drive a 1996 Isuzu Trooper. I have a moderate amount of land based travel experience on various motorized and unmotorized platforms. I live in central Ohio.
Glad to see another Trooper on here! I drive a 1999 and I'm in Charlotte, NC. Welcome!

Member #4197

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Howdy! Glad to be a part of the group and look forward to pushing myself outdoors

Rig: 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ
Experience: Novice at best! Recently acquired my LJ and very slowly building it up to outfit & explore. Check out my profile for more and updates on my upcoming cross country trip this June.
Welcome, the more NC locals the better! Check out the NC member thread, we are planning a get together this summer/spring

Member #4197

Reactions: MJthetravelingLJ

Troop4x4

Rank 0

Traveler I

Austin, TX
Member #

Hello all, my name is Dave, I live in Central Texas and I have an overlanding problem...

Well, not really, not that denial is the correct response, but I don't have a problem, my bank account does.

I'm an author and photographer who is building out an E-150 that I bought for this purpose. This week I'm replacing a bunch of suspension components, nothing too exciting mostly service items like ball joints and shocks, but dependability is my favorite mod for this project. I'm a little bit of an outlying overlander when it comes to my build plan: I want to stay 2WD. The reason being that I'm building the van to tackle unimproved roads like fireroads or the minor off-roading skills required stuff found on the unimproved surfaces in Big Bend. So 2WD, a locker and a winch is where I'm headed. I'll be ready to admit failure in the future if I need to convert to 4WD.

Fifteen years ago my first 4x4 was a '98 Z71 that I built up, what I found is that the overwhelming percentage of driving I wanted to be doing I could do with 2WD and good technique, and 4WD was excellent at burying the truck to the frame.

The build is to transport my two kids, wife and I on our adventures across the US. Our base camp setup involves a large canvas wall tent, a design I fell in love with when I was involved in frontier reinactment in the mid-90s, if you have ever owned a large canvas tent you know that they're not very space or weight efficient, even if they are incredible across all four seasons. So the family truckster was retired after our trip to GSMNP this summer with the purchase of the big kidnapping van. Even without any significant buildout, our first trip (back to our favorite place, Big Bend) the van was a good performer. What took a large roof rack and careful application of years training with Tetris with the Truckster (Routan), easily fit in the E-van.

As of right now I'm about 1/3 of the way into the build for the big trip to Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier in June. Right now the goal is replacing all the wear items that need to go, I'm also about 3/4 of the way done welding up a full length roof rack, which will be followed by bumpers, box and ladder. I installed a Wilson cellphone amplifier prior to the trip to Big Bend and for the first time in all the time I have spent in the park over the last 15 years or so, I had cellphone service (3G) in The Basin. I couldn't even get 1 bar of a bad smell on the exact same phone back in November on our previous trip to the park in the same locations! Planned to be mounted on the roof rack is the large "trucker" Wilson antenna, as well as dual band (HAM) and CB antennas for the communications package I have sitting in my wish list.

As for now, I'll just not have to care if it rains or freezes, as long as I've got my plastic jesus...

Testing out all the new adventure gear and freshly mounted head unit. @americanadventurist #plasticjesus #adventurevan #talesofadventures #prepper #winchesterundead #winlockpress

A photo posted by Dave Lund (@f8industries) on Aug 23, 2015 at 4:07pm PDT
Great to have you! I'm out of Austin, TX running an '87 Isuzu Trooper.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: WUzombies

Disc04

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Terre Haute, IN
Member #

Hello all! I'm glad to be part of this group and look forward to sharing experiences. I currently reside in the Indiana/Illinois area. My vehicle is a 2004 Land Rover Discovery II. The build is still in it's infant stage and I have a lot of work left to do. I'm fairly new to Overlanding but have camped my whole life, the further away from society the better.