Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Chebul
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound Mike.
Great color!
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Social Media:
RM FB; Facebook Groups
Our Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Thanks for the welcome and the resources. I will be sure to check them out!

Reactions: Kent R

Bward76

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Ward
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZE
Hello Everyone,

Another newbie here from Sacramento. I've been trolling your forum for a few months now for Ideas on how to set up my truck and decided to join last night. I am new to overlanding but certainly not new to camping as I grew up at the base of the Sierra Foothills in a town called Sutter Creek. Camping was a way of life growing up. As we get older and beach house rentals and cabins are easier to afford, I have strayed away from it for a handful of years. At 43, I now have my first child who is now almost 2. I know, Late start but loving every minute of it. At the very least, I have a new reason to get back into the hills to share some of the experiences I was afforded growing up. As my back gets a little older, the Idea of being elevated in a RTT with a memory foam mattress sounds much more appealing. When we found out we were expecting, it was time to move on from my old 2000 silverado that I had just lifted and changed every bushing and bolt in the suspension for a truck with less miles (it had 185k) as I would be hauling around a newborn. So fast forward and 2 trucks later i found this 2016 GMC that seemed to be a good fit for the family fun vehicle. I have a thing about buying anyone else's projects as I am a bit picky about letting anyone turn a wrench on my vehicles. When I went to check out this truck I quickly noticed it appeared that all of the work had been done by a dealership as all of the bolts on the lift and aftermarket parts had pink sealant and strike marks on them. The side steps and push-bumber have gm part numbers on them. I took it for a ride and it drove like a dream. Its a half tom SLT premium Z71 with almost every option available. It has a 6" pro comp lift, Rancho Struts and shocks, and 35x12.5 Toyo RT's. For the size of it I'm very happy with how it drives and handles. My wife (who loves lifted trucks) drives it more than I do these days. I just picked it up in February and haven't had much time to get it off road due to an impacted work load stemming from Covid. So yes for the time being it's a "Mall Crawler". I've started to acquire the parts to build the DC system to be able to handle a couple days off grid and a nice safety back up in the event of a dead start battery.

I started with replacing the start battery with an X2 power deep cell/start battery. I added another larger 100ah X2 deep cell for the auxiliary battery. To tie them together, I picked up a Redarc 200 amp isolator that'll be switched for jump starting and winching. To charge the aux battery, i bought the Redarc DC-DC charger that will also accept solar for added charging. For an inverter, I wanted to also have the capabilities to plug into shore power in the event I get to a site with power so I ordered the Xantrex xc freedom 2000 watt inverter/charger. Should be on its way. I just need to order the 2/0 batt cable for the inverter and I will be ready to spend a weekend getting the power side all done. Being an industrial electrician my whole adult life led me to decide to build out the power side of the truck before ordering all of the cool Overland gear. I've definitely spent some time scouring your forum for inspiration and cant wait to get back out in the mountains.

Attachments

Reactions: Iwata77 and Kent R

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi y'all, I'm Sean

1) Pictures View attachment 175597View attachment 175598View attachment 175599View attachment 175600
2) Elmira, Oregon
3) 1992 FJ80; 2006 4Runner
4) Overlanding Experience Background pretty much a Novice and longtime lurker

Nearly a year ago in a midlife crisis of sorts, I had a pulmonary embolism on Nov.3 2019 (not fun to say the least). Then a broken ankle while shoveling snow. With those my priorities and outlook on life changed quite a bit. Out went a truck, and in came the fj80. Got a great price, butt needed and still needs some love. So in came the 4Runner for daily driving while the fj80 gets some love. Not too many pics of either but plenty of mods to come.
FJ80: parts to be installed/worked on:
Front bumper (on order with Delta VS
Warn evo-s 10K
Arb compressor
Engine Refresh (in the shop - right now)
Birfeld Rebuild ( in the shop - right now)
New muffler and test pipes (no Emissions testing in my area)
Slee 3.5" lift kit (installed)
new headlights
new grille
Hi-lift
Recovery kit
White Knuckle Offroad Sliders
Plenty more to come: rear bumper, inverter, drawers, 35's, re-gear, arb lockers

4Runner
dual battery kit by Offgrid Engineering in Colorado (2 interstate AGM's have been installed but no pic)
HID low beam
LED Hi beams
Inverter
33" tires
Hello Sean . Welcome to Overland Bound.

I am the Northwest Director. @Munga Brown is your closest member representative in Yachts, Oregon. @jcgraves3 is the Willimate Valley Member Rep, and @Big G is the Southern Oregon Rep

To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).

Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.

Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.

Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.

Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.

Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.

Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.

Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.

Lastly, we have a monthly conference call on the third Sunday of the month starting November 15th, 2020 at 19:30 hours Pacific Time. I encourage everyone to participate in these calls as we mentor each other on various topics. November we are discussing Portable Power options.

Inland Northwest Monthly Conference Call

I am hosting an impromptu conference call this Sunday at 7:30 Pacific covering preparedness and step to take “When Things Go Sideways”.

Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome Daniel and hope to see you on the trails.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Everyone,

Another newbie here from Sacramento. I've been trolling your forum for a few months now for Ideas on how to set up my truck and decided to join last night. I am new to overlanding but certainly not new to camping as I grew up at the base of the Sierra Foothills in a town called Sutter Creek. Camping was a way of life growing up. As we get older and beach house rentals and cabins are easier to afford, I have strayed away from it for a handful of years. At 43, I now have my first child who is now almost 2. I know, Late start but loving every minute of it. At the very least, I have a new reason to get back into the hills to share some of the experiences I was afforded growing up. As my back gets a little older, the Idea of being elevated in a RTT with a memory foam mattress sounds much more appealing. When we found out we were expecting, it was time to move on from my old 2000 silverado that I had just lifted and changed every bushing and bolt in the suspension for a truck with less miles (it had 185k) as I would be hauling around a newborn. So fast forward and 2 trucks later i found this 2016 GMC that seemed to be a good fit for the family fun vehicle. I have a thing about buying anyone else's projects as I am a bit picky about letting anyone turn a wrench on my vehicles. When I went to check out this truck I quickly noticed it appeared that all of the work had been done by a dealership as all of the bolts on the lift and aftermarket parts had pink sealant and strike marks on them. The side steps and push-bumber have gm part numbers on them. I took it for a ride and it drove like a dream. Its a half tom SLT premium Z71 with almost every option available. It has a 6" pro comp lift, Rancho Struts and shocks, and 35x12.5 Toyo RT's. For the size of it I'm very happy with how it drives and handles. My wife (who loves lifted trucks) drives it more than I do these days. I just picked it up in February and haven't had much time to get it off road due to an impacted work load stemming from Covid. So yes for the time being it's a "Mall Crawler". I've started to acquire the parts to build the DC system to be able to handle a couple days off grid and a nice safety back up in the event of a dead start battery.

I started with replacing the start battery with an X2 power deep cell/start battery. I added another larger 100ah X2 deep cell for the auxiliary battery. To tie them together, I picked up a Redarc 200 amp isolator that'll be switched for jump starting and winching. To charge the aux battery, i bought the Redarc DC-DC charger that will also accept solar for added charging. For an inverter, I wanted to also have the capabilities to plug into shore power in the event I get to a site with power so I ordered the Xantrex xc freedom 2000 watt inverter/charger. Should be on its way. I just need to order the 2/0 batt cable for the inverter and I will be ready to spend a weekend getting the power side all done. Being an industrial electrician my whole adult life led me to decide to build out the power side of the truck before ordering all of the cool Overland gear. I've definitely spent some time scouring your forum for inspiration and cant wait to get back out in the mountains.
Welcome to Overland Bound
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; Sac/Foothills @Magic Mike
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Some local meet-ups you might be interested in;
Sierra Foothills Overlanders, El Dorado County CA
US West - Sierra Foothills Overlanders Monthly OLB meet-up/meeting.
Gold Country Monthly Meet-up. Auburn CA
https://www.overlandbound.com/event/gold-country-monthly-meetup/
Elk Grove, CA
US West - Overland Bound Elk Grove, CA Meetup

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone! :-)

I ordered the membership a few weeks ago and finally found time to introduce myself!

My name is Lisa, I am 24 years old and located in Germany. Due to a good friend of mine I heard about this community. He is also the reason I got way more interested in cars, overlanding, offroad driving and tinkering around.

I was always interested in traveling and dreamed of a self-elaborated camper van. I am used to camping and tents so a few months back the idea of a roof tent was born. My friend and I collected some first impressions of overlanding together this year in Sweden.

So to get more into overlanding I bought a Lada Niva 4x4 ( 2121) from 2007 a few weeks ago and I am now trying to modify it. There is still a lot work to do but I am really exited to evolve and grow.

I am excited to become a member of this community, to get to know some of you and to make overlanding an integral part of my life.
Welcome to Overland Bound Lisa.
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @NotGumby
Your Regional Director is @Robert OB 33/48 for additional help or information.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: LumixLab

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Everyone, allow me to introduce myself, I'm Sean and I'm in the Washington, DC area (MD suburbs).
I am a novice/newbie to overlanding and trail riding, but very interested in starting some new adventures!
So far, the Commander has proven to be a capable off-road vehicle, as it gets me up to my hunting cabin in the mountains of WV, but I want to see how it performs out on some not-too-extreme trails.

Rig & Mods: 2009 Jeep Commander w/ 4.7 V8 (that doubles as a DD)
3" lift, Bilstein 4600 shocks/struts, & JBA UCAs
32" Atturo Trail Blade X/T tires on 20x9 wheels
Tom Woods drive shaft, Steel Armadillo skid plates
K&N CAI
Rhino Rack roof bars & ROLA cargo basket
LED headlights, driving lights, roof light bar, and spotlights
(and as I'm an addict to mods, I'm sure more to come)

View attachment 175626View attachment 175627View attachment 175628
Welcome to Overland Bound Sean.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @cgflyer
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi y'all, I'm Sean

1) Pictures View attachment 175597View attachment 175598View attachment 175599View attachment 175600
2) Elmira, Oregon

Nearly a year ago in a midlife crisis of sorts, I had a pulmonary embolism on Nov.3 2019 (not fun to say the least). Then a broken ankle while shoveling snow. With those my priorities and outlook on life changed quite a bit. Out went a truck, and in came the fj80. Got a great price, butt needed and still needs some love. So in came the 4Runner for daily driving while the fj80 gets some love. Not too many pics of either but plenty of mods to come.
Warn evo-s 10K
Arb compressor
new headlights
new grille
Hi-lift
Recovery kit

4Runner
dual battery kit by Offgrid Engineering in Colorado (2 interstate AGM's have been installed but no pic)
HID low beam
LED Hi beams
Inverter
33" tires
Welcome to Overland Bound Sean.
The 80 is the workhorse of Overlanding, you will have fun with the build.
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: M Rose

PNWFJ80

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Elmira, OR, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Hannon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
haha I wish
Oh she is quite a workhorse but ridden way too hard in her day. Rust about everywhere you don’t want, and my favorite, bolts snapping off instead of getting loose. But old Hanna has been there when I was low, and kept me going. So now I get to return the favor and treat her well.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hi y'all, I'm Sean

2) Elmira, Oregon

Warn evo-s 10K
Arb compressor
new headlights
new grille
Hi-lift
Recovery kit

4Runner
HID low beam
LED Hi beams
Inverter
33" tires
Hello Sean, welcome to the OB community. As Mike Rose said I am the Southern Oregon members rep and I will be glad to assist you in any way I can. You are kind of in a unique situation with having 3 different members reps you can interact with. Our region has done a few things during this Covid situation but my desire is to start doing more over the next few months. You will no doubt get notifications from me and maybe even some Rally Point invites so feel free to participate with us if that makes sense to you because of where you live. Glad you are a part of the group now and it looks like you have plenty of work to do on your rigs. Contact me anytime.

Reactions: Kent R and M Rose

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
My name is Kent Walters from Central KY
I drive a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon.
I’ve had experience traversing not so travelled places out and about in the world but wouldn’t call myself an expert by any meansView attachment 175777
Welcome To Overland Bound Kent. (I don't get to meet to many Kent's)
Good looking rig.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Ohio Valley Overland & @Hank Outdoors

LostRunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Grey Forest, Tx
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Scharnhorst
Hi everyone,
Ed Scharnhorst here. Living in the Hill Country outside San Antonio. Been 4 wheeling off and on for years at a moderate level. Mostly beaches, fire roads and mountain trails on the east coast. Started making trips out Big Bend (NP & SP) for camping with my wife & son (he's in the '97 3rd gen) over the last few years. Looking forward to getting out further and staying longer! Our short list for next trips are Padre, 4 corners area and Colorado. Driving a '12 4runner that's never finished.

Overland.jpg

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Ed (@LostRunner ) , welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am one of the SW Region Member Reps, @USStrongman is out in west Texas so if you have any questions let either of us know.

Last edited:

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I’ve had experience traversing not so travelled places out and about in the world but wouldn’t call myself an expert by any meansView attachment 175777
Welcome to OB Kent! I am in Middle TN and if you need anything give me a shout.
~Hank

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
Welcome from the other part of KY (Shepherdsville)! I drive a JLU Sahara, so if your ever this far “north” feel free to say hi to a fellow Jeeper!

splatterdab

Rank II

Contributor III

Atwater, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
BROWN
Member #

Howdy All,
Randy here. Just joined today. I'm from Southeast PA but I'm with my 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 4X in CA for a couple of months.

Planning to visit a few places while I'm here. This week I want to take a short ride to McCabe Flats on BLM land. I spent quite a bit of time in the area growing up here as a kid. Just hope the weather holds out.

StevieB93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Morgan Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Araujo
Member #

Howdy All,
Randy here. Just joined today. I'm from Southeast PA but I'm with my 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 4X in CA for a couple of months.

Planning to visit a few places while I'm here. This week I want to take a short ride to McCabe Flats on BLM land. I spent quite a bit of time in the area growing up here as a kid. Just hope the weather holds out.
Welcome Randy! I love PA, have close friends near Wellsboro and enjoy spending time out there. Nice 'Grand Canyon' over there and terrific maple syrup!

I just joined myself and glad to see the family table getting larger.

Overland and out,
Steven

Dorian

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Dorian
Last Name
Bilak
Member #

Hi everyone,
Ed Scharnhorst here. Living in the Hill Country outside San Antonio. Been 4 wheeling off and on for years at a moderate level. Mostly beaches, fire roads and mountain trails on the east coast. Started making trips out Big Bend (NP & SP) for camping with my wife & son (he's in the '97 3rd gen) over the last few years. Looking forward to getting out further and staying longer! Our short list for next trips are Padre, 4 corners area and Colorado. Driving a '12 4runner that's never finished.

View attachment 175793
Welcome to the group. Great photo.

splatterdab

Rank II

Contributor III

Atwater, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
BROWN
Member #

Howdy All,

Welcome Randy! I love PA, have close friends near Wellsboro and enjoy spending time out there. Nice 'Grand Canyon' over there and terrific maple syrup!

I just joined myself and glad to see the family table getting larger.

Overland and out,
Steven
Yes! I plan to find some more backroads in Susquennock State Forest and Allegheny National Forest when I get back to PA.

And yes, Vermont isn't the only place with good maple syrup.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Howdy All,

Welcome to Overland Bound
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
When at home you are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @Wawa Skittletits
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
In the West the Regional Director is @Narbob for help or information.
Member Representatives;
In SoCal @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire)
In NorCal @PapaDave, Sac/Foothills @Magic Mike, North State @Cottonwoody, Central Valley @TOMB, Nevada @HappyOurOverlanding

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits