Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

1) View attachment 131126
2) Location: San Antonio, Texas
3) Rig: 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport. Been building it up little by little over the past two years. *Pic is over a year old. I need to take a new one.
4) Overlanding Experience Background: I've been off-roading and camping my entire life. I'm on my second rig in 20 years. Never been a "rock crawler", so it puts me on the outer edge of most "Jeepers". Overland/trail riding has always been my preference.
Welcome from NE Oklahoma

75th_jk

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Moran
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound!

You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
I appreciate the help! I’ll definitely look into that- I’m looking forward to meeting some like minded people in the area

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Jeff (@Viking Justice ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello David (@Parker525 ), welcome from Oklahoma. Here is an easy to use map showing which roads are open in the National Forest (Forest Service Visitor Map). Here is a popular place to camp (34.272478, -94.701078).... the rest is up to you, that's part of the adventure.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello!
I'm in central Alabama
2004 Z71 Suburban ("Bob"), pretty much stock except for the brush bar.
I spent a lot of time off road in NM growing up, and did some casual trail rides with a few folks around here in the late '90s.
They all 'grew up' and moved away, though.
Hello Jim, welcome from Oklahoma.
Where in NM?
I see you are a ham. Feel free to join in on our weekly Friday night Echolink net.
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130
Don't worry if you don't have access to an Echolink/DMR/Allstar capable repeater, many of us use the Echolink app.
Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

hello, new to the board
but not to the bush...:grinning:
we camp, hike and quad around bc
our rig is a slightly modified '85 chev K30 crew with a 8' travelmate camper

my wife rides a mostly stock suzuki, i ride a modified wolverine, and we just last yr upgraded my son from a outlaw 90 to a arctic cat 700

after beating on the crew for the last 20 yrs, put some bodywork and new paint into it this yr

in my spare time i like building model trucks

this looks like a great place with like minded people!
Welcome from Oklahoma.
Good looking square! I had wanted to build a crew cab on a regular cab longbed frame, enough room for the family but not super long....or any longer than the reg cab long bed is already (131.5" wheelbase). :laughing:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello from Timmins Ontario, Canada.

Don't worry, most people in Ontario don't know where it is :)

I'm a new member and need a ton of advice :)

My biggest issue is that I have a very bad back and I haven't been able to go camping for a few years because setting up my current tent (9ft x 16ft) is just too much.

My plan is to buy a car (after 20 accident free years, I just rolled my second car in 6 months which has made my back worse) and modify it so I can camp out of it.

I haven't even decided yet what car to get and how much I plan to modify it. I'm currently looking at 2013 Subaru Impreza's (give or take a few years), a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, or even a 2008 Subaru Forester (after reading reviews I'm a little scared to buy any other year).

My plans could be as simple as a plywood base with air mattress and a few accessories on an Impreza/Crosstrek (maybe with one of those attachable tents) to a more expansive build in the Forester. A lot will depend on the price I pay for the car. As I won't be doing any serious off roading a lift and some of the more extreme mods won't be necessary.

I've read my first few posts should be too long so I'll stop now and I'm happy to be a part of this forum and any and all help I get from the members. Aside from a ton of reading I'll also be asking a lot of questions :)

Thanks,

David.

Don't hesitate to contact the closest Regional Director @Mike W for help or information.

Parker525

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Paris, TX, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Parker
Hello David (@Parker525 ), welcome from Oklahoma. Here is an easy to use map showing which roads are open in the National Forest. Here is a popular place to camp (34.272478, -94.701078).... the rest is up to you, that's part of the adventure.

Thanks for the info.

mikew

Rank 0

Contributor I

uk
First Name
Mike
Last Name
White
Hi all.

Im am from the UK and live in a town call Bristol in the South West.
I own a 1996 genuine Camel Trophy defender 110, in original condition with only a few upgrades for my expeditions.
I love to travel, either a local weekend in the woods or around the world. I have done many trips around Europe, and a 7 month expedition from the Uk to Cape Town South Africa.

Thanks for accepting me to Overland Bound
Mike

Attachments

Nodscene

Rank 0

Contributor I

Timmins, ON, Canada
First Name
David
Last Name
Wilensky
Thanks Kent,

Is there any chance he's even in Ontario :)

While I don't mind if there are very few Canadians on here, from looking through the threads I don't think I quite fit into these forums. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but even doing a search on Subaru I found very little information and the cars I did see are being lifted (which is cool but not in my price range).

I am looking for ideas of how to create a comfortable "tent" on the inside of the hatchback. On the web I've seen how to make a flat platform so when the seats are folded down the bump doesn't become an issue. I'm looking for those kinds of modifications on how to make that limited space more functional when it comes to "bed time" which would include things like shelves over the wheelwell or making cubbies and having power for cell phones/tablets etc. Even one of those tents that attach to the back of the car.

Pretty much all of my off-road and camping will be at worst on logging roads or unpaved roads but nothing too extreme where I'd require 30" off-road tires with a 2"+ lift etc. About the only thing I'd want along those lines is a skid plate just for some added protection.

My car will be my daily driver and only vehicle and am wanting to improve it's camping capabilities in the hope of possibly not even needing a tent.

Like I said, nothing major but maybe with some cool small builds to make the interior more functional as a sleeping quarters. Actually I'd even consider removing the back seats altogether for increased space but I don't think I've seen anyone do that.

While I'm not physically able to do these kinds of projects I can find people to help in that aspect. It's not that I'm old (well, I'm 48), it's just that my spine is about 100 year old haha.

I'll keep digging around just in case I'm missing something.

Thanks and don't get me wrong, this is an amazing site....but like most places I just don't quite fit in ;)

Don't hesitate to contact the closest Regional Director @Mike W for help or information.

Last edited:

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
Duane - Camarillo, CA - 2020 Jeep Rubicon 4 door. Seeking meaningful connections with the wild, the out of doors and nature. Hoping to meet some solid folks along the way. :) Have Jeep, will explore!

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks Kent,

Is there any chance he's even in Ontario :)

While I don't mind if there are very few Canadians on here, from looking through the threads I don't think I quite fit into these forums. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but even doing a search on Subaru I found very little information and the cars I did see are being lifted (which is cool but not in my price range).

I am looking for ideas of how to create a comfortable "tent" on the inside of the hatchback. On the web I've seen how to make a flat platform so when the seats are folded down the bump doesn't become an issue. I'm looking for those kinds of modifications on how to make that limited space more functional when it comes to "bed time" which would include things like shelves over the wheelwell or making cubbies and having power for cell phones/tablets etc. Even one of those tents that attach to the back of the car.

Pretty much all of my off-road and camping will be at worst on logging roads or unpaved roads but nothing too extreme where I'd require 30" off-road tires with a 2"+ lift etc. About the only thing I'd want along those lines is a skid plate just for some added protection.

My car will be my daily driver and only vehicle and am wanting to improve it's camping capabilities in the hope of possibly not even needing a tent.

Like I said, nothing major but maybe with some cool small builds to make the interior more functional as a sleeping quarters. Actually I'd even consider removing the back seats altogether for increased space but I don't think I've seen anyone do that.

While I'm not physically able to do these kinds of projects I can find people to help in that aspect. It's not that I'm old (well, I'm 48), it's just that my spine is about 100 year old haha.

I'll keep digging around just in case I'm missing something.

Thanks and don't get me wrong, this is an amazing site....but like most places I just don't quite fit in ;)
Try this. Subaru Owners Registry

velojym

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alabama
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Caron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LBP
Hello Jim, welcome from Oklahoma.
Where in NM?
I see you are a ham. Feel free to join in on our weekly Friday night Echolink net.
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130
Don't worry if you don't have access to an Echolink/DMR/Allstar capable repeater, many of us use the Echolink app.
Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Grew up in Clovis.
I'll sure look into the radio link, on days I'm done with work early, anyway. :)

Matchwood

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Ottawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Laurin
Member #

Hello OverlandBound Community! So glad to join you guys.

I'm Paul, I like to camp, explore and to travel. I like to work on my sled, motorcycle and slowly mod my rig. I figured I'd combine my passion for camping, traveling, exploration and cars and try out overlanding. I drive an Anvil 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with my first mod being 31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. If you can't tell by the flag on the side of my rig, I'm from the Great White North (Canada) and to be a bit more specific, Eastern Ontario. Not going to lie, my overloading experience is very limited, for now.

I can't wait to get out there more and start sharing stories.

IMG_0045.jpg