Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey everyone! Discovered the group in a backward fashion through Overland Expo West, and by proxy of Triple Aught Design and TAV llc.

NEW 2019 Toyota Tacoma Offroad. Have a rooftop tent and cab/bed rack installed. I would love opinions on Bilstein vs. King suspension and tires as I'm near some awesome trails.

Beginner but I have attempted trails in snow and dirt around my area as well as dust (moon rocks, nv). I'm an avid backpacker and climber, while currently adjusting to running an overland rig (such much more space!).
Welcome to Overland Bound, glad to see you here in the forums. As @KentR stated I am your U.S. West member representative, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me @Magic Mike . You can also contact our Regional Director @Narbob for questions as well. Make sure and browse through the new member threads, there is a lot of good information that will help you navagate the OB website. Also check Rally Points for upcoming trip, meetup and other events.

There are several meetups within easy driving distance of Sacramento. The Gold Country Overland meetup in Auburn, Sierra Foothills Overlanders in El Dorado Hills and starting in October there will be one in Elk Grove.

Look forward to meeting you out there on the trail.

Mike harpe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

When I was in the army I took the course for becoming a bus driver. The same blue bird buses that the schools use. I was stationed in colorado at ft. Carson and they took us up into the mountains. I was driving at what I thought was a safe speed for the conditions, and I was doing 40 in a 55. The instructor made me do the speed limit with said drop off on the passenger side. I can understand those conditions being a bit tense. What I would suggest is that as long as you drive a speed that you feel comfortable at, and spend a lot of time in your vehicle so you know all the angles and sight lines, you should be able to conquer those fears.

I've been driving since I was 16 and love driving. I even was a trucker for a bit. That's one thing that would definetly help your driving confidence is getting experience driving a semi truck. But I'm willing to bet your not up for such a drastic career change lol. The other thing to look into is a driving school where you learn aggressive and defense driving.

Hope this helps and feel free to keep in touch if you'd like.

MikeS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Eugene, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Scolla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1MMO
Welcome! Make sure to check out the local region's forums and the Rally Point system for events and meetups in your area. This region (NW) also has a FB page. @Roy & Kristin Zirpoli are your local Member Rep and can answer any questions you may have. Feel free to PM me or hit me up on the forums at @Gabriel Bozeman

Cheers!
Gabe Bozeman
NW Member Rep
ok, thanks Gabe

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hi Mike! What scares me - a narrow road with a several hundred feet (or few thousand feet) drop off. Somewhat leaning to the side doesn't do me much good either.
It's totally understandable. I have some folks in my family with the same thing. Washington is a great place to start getting over these fears. With plenty of open country in the East and tons of wooded areas to West, you can easily pick the adventure you want.

Utahlasvegas

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Laughlin, NV, USA
First Name
Beau
Last Name
Rogers
Member #

Hello from Bullhead City, Arizona!

My name is Beau, and I am an English instructor at a community college in Bullhead City, Arizona. I moved down here during the summer of 2018 after living in Reno for ten years. I have worked off and on as a photographer since 1997 and am an avid outdoorsman. A couple weeks back, I traded in my Ford F150 with 180,000 miles for a new Jeep Rubicon. I am currently shopping for a roof rack and a rooftop tent and will be out exploring as much as possible. Please let me know if you have suggestions about a good roof rack that's not super expensive. It's a bit difficult for me to get away during the school year, but I have three months of freedom every summer and all the major holidays during the rest of the year.

If you would like to see some of my photography, Flickr is currently my best spot: Beau Rogers.

I would love to participate in some meetups, particularly during Presidents Day Weekend. I'm also talking to my cousin about making our first trip to Baja California during my spring break (3/14 - 3/22).

I don't have any cool shots of my ride yet, but I have a new GoPro arriving tomorrow and am thinking about doing some exploring this weekend now that it's starting to finally cool off a bit around the Mojave Desert.

I'm looking forward to this experience and hope to make some new friends.

Best,

Beau

lil ford

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Las Vegas
First Name
HECTOR
Last Name
MALDONADO
Member #

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
Hey all! I'm Hector (lil ford) I live in Las Vegas, NV, married, no kids, and I have a lil silver Ford explorer sport (its paid for, LOL) so it does the job. I camped rustic style and have done some 4x4 trails that are short here in the LV area. Not sure if they were legal trails, but I did them. I appreciate nature and good times, so don't expect that I'm gonna purposely tear up a trail and plant life just for kicks. I wont and haven't. Here a pic of my ride.
2003 Ford Explorer Sport (no locking diff) but 4x4, all I've done is keep her running 150K, added a K&N box filter and put larger than stock tires 255/70/16,, looking to add 265/75/16 in a while, and we are novices to Over-landing per se.

Attachments

Sky Pirate

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

El Dorado, AR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Vespa
Member #

Hello everyone!

I’m Michael. I’m originally from Springfield, MO, but recently moved from Clearwater, FL to El Dorado, AR for work.

Rigs: 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5
2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with center diff locker

I’m just now getting into the hobby. Going to start building out the 08 as an overland vehicle.

Sky Pirate

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

El Dorado, AR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Vespa
Member #

Hello everyone, I'm Jeff

Clermont, FL
2019 Toyota TRD-Off road
just starting to explore the outdoors more, meet new folks and learn more about Overlanding community!

Cheers !
My parents live in Clermont. Not a bad place to live. I’m Going to be moving back to the Orlando area in the next year or so! Hope to run into you sometime.

Reactions: jmoreno9966

rellenburg

Rank 0

Contributor I

Upstate SC
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Ellenburg
Hello everyone! First post on the forum and fairly new to overlanding. We’ve been out a few times this year and are enjoying it. My rig is a 2007 FJ Cruiser - Icon lift, 33’s, RTT. I’ve been a car guy my whole life, just never had a modified 4x4, so building the FJ coupled with camping will be right up my alley. Looking forward to seeing some of you out on the trail!8BC1373A-A3AA-41C4-AB4E-B32E843DD9F5.jpeg

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Hi! I'm Greg

1) Location - Salt Lake City
2) Rig 1999 Mitsubishi Montero with factory rear diff lock.
3) Overlanding Experience Background (learning)

Glad to be here!
Welcome. Check out our regions Facebook page.

And the forums section.

Have fun.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Hey all! I'm Hector (lil ford) I live in Las Vegas, NV, married, no kids, and I have a lil silver Ford explorer sport (its paid for, LOL) so it does the job. I camped rustic style and have done some 4x4 trails that are short here in the LV area. Not sure if they were legal trails, but I did them. I appreciate nature and good times, so don't expect that I'm gonna purposely tear up a trail and plant life just for kicks. I wont and haven't. Here a pic of my ride.
2003 Ford Explorer Sport (no locking diff) but 4x4, all I've done is keep her running 150K, added a K&N box filter and put larger than stock tires 255/70/16,, looking to add 265/75/16 in a while, and we are novices to Over-landing per se.
Paid for is good!! The main reason my wife and I have not pulled the trigger on a new ride. Lol.

Welcome.

Reactions: lil ford

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Hello everyone!

I’m Michael. I’m originally from Springfield, MO, but recently moved from Clearwater, FL to El Dorado, AR for work.

Rigs: 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5
2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with center diff locker

I’m just now getting into the hobby. Going to start building out the 08 as an overland vehicle.
Welcome from Oklahoma!
Rendezvous in the Ozarks is in October. Might be a good place to get ideas and meet people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky Pirate

Anook

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Stateline, NV 89449, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Nook
Member #

New Member, excited to be apart of this positive community! Lake Tahoe, NV (Stateline), just getting started and looking for friends, safety info and build inspiration. 2011 Tundra and working to outfit for easy and simplicity without giving up too much comfort. First trip in the books last week to Alabama Hills and Cerro Gordo, hooked!

Attachments

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
glad to see there's some NC people around. I lived in Mooresville for 9 years working in the nascar scene. Miss the Charlotte area and all the great hiking nearby. Looking forward to what you make out of your rig
Welcome to Overland Bound

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hello guys, the name is Chris. Currently living in Palmdale, CA. Hoping to connect with some other members in the AV. Part of my fleet consists of an 06 Subaru Outback and a 91 Toyota Land Cruiser.
Find me on Instagram at these handles, bkbajan and lndtrpr.
Welcome to Overland Bound..

Reactions: Captstout