Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Orange County, California, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Porter
Member #

Has anyone taken their rig up to McIver’s cabin? It’s up in the sequoia national forest above Lake Isabella. I’ve only been up there on bikes, but have seen trucks up there. It’s an old hunter’s cabin and always has coffee and food inside as well as a wood burning stove. I got within 2 miles but cut a rear tire (no spotter) and had to turn back as I only had one spare tire. I really want to try that with some friends for extra support.

Reactions: terryg

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I have done that trail about 25 times on dirt bike and twice each in my 85 and 99 4Runners. The last time was in the 99 in 2016. Almost any 4 Wheel drive can make it up there.

Reactions: TacoWheeler

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
The Pacific Crest Trail runs along the McIver 4X4 Trail, so if you go in the summer time, bring extra water and food to share with hikers. I did not know this until the first time I did it in my 85 4Runner, we went up there in the summertime and my friends jeep overheated at the top of the asphalt grade, so we pulled over to let it cool down. While we were all having lunch, we hear someone shout out "You got any ice cream". Any way we ran into about 20 hikers along the way that we shared food and water with along the way. The spring at McIvers cabin use to be a water stop where they could refill their water jugs but it has since dried up.

Reactions: TacoWheeler