David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I needed a solution to mount my new MaxTrax onto my AllPro Offroad Apex modular rack on my 2017 Tacoma. The holes on the rack do not match up with the ones on the MaxTrax so like with the Rotopax I previously installed, I was going to have to come up with a creative solution. After a trip to Lowe’s, I came home with two pieces of “B-channel”, a pack (5 per pack) of the 3/8” b-channel screw deals, four 1 ½ inch 3/8” bolts with lock nuts, four 4-inch 3/8” hex head bolts, four end caps for the b-channel, and four 3/8” plastic knobs.

Step 1: Cut the b-channel to the length you prefer. In my case I cut it to about 14 1/8”. The holes on the MaxTrax are 10 ½” apart so it must be wider than that.

Step 2: Cut the head and about one inch of thread from each bolt. I left extra length so I could potentially add two additional MaxTrax in the future.

Step 3: This is multiple steps in one. Put the long bolts and b-channel nut deals together and place the MaxTrax on them to get the spacing correct. Tighten the bolts with channel lock pliers or whatever works for you. (I put red lock-tight on them.)

Step 4: This is the hardest part. Line everything up on the rack and mount the b-channels up in the long slot on the rack. I left it slightly loose while I lined everything up and centered it. After marking where they need to be permanently mounted take the whole thing apart and paint it. I used flat black to match the rack.

Step 5: Mount it back up and do any final adjustments before tightening everything down.

Step 6: Stand back and admire your awesomeness.

20180328_203735.jpg 20180329_175804.jpg20180329_175759.jpg20180329_090411.jpg

Reactions: Quicksilver
S

SubeeBen

Awesome idea great work thanks for the post. Just bought some x bull traction plates & have been wondering some different mounting options. When you say b channel is that electrical unistrut channel ? Home Depot ? Thanks again & nice work.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USMC
Thanks. Yes I believe thats right. Our electrician at work used it which is where I got the idea. The label said b-channel so that is all I knew to call it.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Nice. I've been thinking of something similar for my Maxsa boards when I get my roof basket, but I hadn't really fleshed it out yet. This gives me a more solid idea.

Any thoughts on security, or a way to lock it down so they don't get stolen? I was kinda thinking of drilling a hole through one of the bolts and running a pad lock through it.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USMC
Absolutely. For security I'm going to drill a hole in the rack and put a trailer hitch lock through it and then put it through the handle on the maxtrax and put the lock on it. I did the same for my rotopax. I'll attach the picture to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I haven't done this yet so I may need to change it up a bit but you'll get the general idea. I could put the lock through one of the mounting holes too I guess. (instead of the bolt)
20180402_120648.jpg 20180402_120533.jpg

Reactions: murps

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USMC
I hadn't either until a couple weeks ago when I was trying to figure out a lock for the rotopax. I happened to have an extra sitting around and was like "hmmm I've got an idea". You can use them for probably anything you want to lock onto a roof rack or bed rack like I've got.