HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So I've been searching for the load limits on vehicle recovery boards and cannot find anything. I've watched various videos with no luck either. I have a 3 ton and a 7 ton rig and it seems that the same boards are used for both weights which seems odd to me.

Does anyone have any info on the load limits. I can only assume that the heavier the vehicle the higher the load limit would be needed.

Thanks,

Bill

Reactions: BullNV

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

So I've been searching for the load limits on vehicle recovery boards and cannot find anything. I've watched various videos with no luck either. I have a 3 ton and a 7 ton rig and it seems that the same boards are used for both weights which seems odd to me.

Does anyone have any info on the load limits. I can only assume that the heavier the vehicle the higher the load limit would be needed.

Thanks,
Bill
@HappyOurOverlanding

I recently saw a video comparing 3 brands of recovery boards. () at 13:55 the video claims the weight limit for Maxtrax at 10k lbs and ActionTrax at 47k lbs. I was not able to find these claims on their website but the ActionTrax product page states the following "All ActionTrax products are American Made and Unconditionally Guaranteed for 2 years against all defects except burning the teeth from excessive wheel spin. There are no weight limits or terrain restrictions on ActionTrax." (https://usactiontrax.com/shop?olsPage=products)

Boort

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
@HappyOurOverlanding

I recently saw a video comparing 3 brands of recovery boards. () at 13:55 the video claims the weight limit for Maxtrax at 10k lbs and ActionTrax at 47k lbs. I was not able to find these claims on their website but the ActionTrax product page states the following "All ActionTrax products are American Made and Unconditionally Guaranteed for 2 years against all defects except burning the teeth from excessive wheel spin. There are no weight limits or terrain restrictions on ActionTrax." (https://usactiontrax.com/shop?olsPage=products)

Boort
Thanks for posting, Boort. I's an Interesting claim regarding the weight. I think I'll pop off an email to Action trax and Maxtrax and see what they state if anything.

Reactions: Boort

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So with a little more research touched off by @Boort and watching the video he posted, I found these guarantees from the Maxtrax and ActionTrax websites. I highlighted the pertinent info regarding weight. I am now leaning towards ActionTrax since I would use the recovery boards on both vehicles. Of course reading the MaxTrax one it seems to indicate that anything over 7500 lbs is not guaranteed.

USA Lifetime Manufacturers Warranty
MAXTRAX Products purchased after January 1, 2017 from an authorized dealer in the United States come with a Lifetime Manufacturer’s Warranty against defects and faulty materials.
This Warranty is provided by MAXTRAX Australia and facilitated in the United States by Adventure Imports, LLC who holds no responsibility for the warranty. This warranty is subject to the Limitations on Refunds/Replacements at Clause 3 below, if the Product/s, when used in accordance with the “Instructions for Use” provided with the Product/s, fails due to defective manufacture, we will replace the faulty product.

If the Product/s is found, upon inspection by us, to be defective and covered by our warranty, we will arrange for a replacement or refund (as applicable), normally within 7 working days of receipt of the Product/s (this may take longer in some cases if product is out of stock). MAXTRAX expressly excludes any liability for consequential loss, incidental or indirect damages (including but not limited to damages for loss of profits and business interruption) due to a defect of the Product/s. In particular any loss or damage caused to any equipment or accessories used with the Product/s or any loss resulting from a delay in repair or replacement are excluded to the extent permitted by law.

At our discretion, we may void the warranty if we deem the product has been used outside of its intended purpose for light-truck vehicles weighing under 7750LBS or 3500KGs. If the product has signs of excessive wheelspin that could have structurally damaged the product, we reserve the right to void the warranty. If the product has been modified in any way, shape, or form from the original manufacturer’s design, including drilling holes for mounting, or shortening the product, this warranty is void. Please see Clause 3 below for further details.

ActionTrax Guarantee
All ActionTrax products are American Made and Unconditionally Guaranteed for 2 years against all defects except burning the teeth from excessive wheel spin. There are no weight limits or terrain restrictions on ActionTrax.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Unless you are using the recovery boards to suspend a gap ,ie bridge, then I don’t see how weight would be a factor other than floatation.

Reactions: Itacal

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
What kind of truck do you have that would require over 7750 lbs per wheel, some type of military truck?

I'll take the MaxTrax lifetime warranty all day long. :grinning: Heck, it was almost a year before I even needed to use them.

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
What kind of truck do you have that would require over 7750 lbs per wheel? I'll take the MaxTrax life time warranty all day long. :)
An Earth Cruiser is the big one. However, you bring up a good point that I have not heard on any of the video etc, the weight per wheel. It seems odd that a manufacturer would not indicate such.

Reactions: M Rose

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
An Earth Cruiser is the big one. However, you bring up a good point that I have not heard on any of the video etc, the weight per wheel. It seems odd that a manufacturer would not indicate such.
It's not brought up ........ because it really isn't a factor.

How much does your Earth Cruiser weigh?

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Unless you are using the recovery boards to suspend a gap ,ie bridge, then I don’t see how weight would be a factor other than floatation.
have actually found that to be the opposite. basically most companies will rate the traction ramp with no bridging involved. I tested some Smittybilt traction ramps rated at 10k lbs and they were not able to be used to bridge a gap for a 3500 lb vehicle even doubled up. They flexed and didn't break, but the amount of flex basically rendered them useless. I had pictures but i can't seem to find them at the moment. You can see any brand flex under the weight of a lighter vehicle but the weight rating is basically rated for the studs on the board and the wight it will take without being crushed.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Take a MaxTrax for instance, 7750 x 4 = 31,000 lbs.

99.99999999 % of the 4X4's out there don't come close to weighing that much.

VRE-TRAK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Florida
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Barringer
Good Day Guys!
I'm still new to the overland community but I use 100% American made and manufactured a new product call the VRE-TRAK it's a traction board that outperforms everything on the market today. Holding weight limit of 35,500 lbs+ .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ubiety and Boort

That_Guy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine California
First Name
Matt
Last Name
P
Well, I used them up in Mammoth. My AEV weighs in at just under 9K lbs. Got stuck in a few feet of snow. You can see the crack in one. I wouldn't trust these anymore at least for my rig. Going to upgrade. 20200114_140809.jpg

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

That_Guy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine California
First Name
Matt
Last Name
P
Good Day Guys!
I'm still new to the overland community but we are a manufacture of police and military equipment 100% American made and manufactured. We just launched a new product call the VRE-TRAK it's a traction board that outperforms everything on the market today. We have a holding weight limit of 35,500 lbs+ Were searching for a bigger vehicles. I have discount codes and i will throw in a free bag for the community if anyone's interested.
See my above post. LMK if you'd like me to try them and review. I can go out to Azusa canyon which is a nice mud hole and do a review.

Reactions: VRE-TRAK

That_Guy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine California
First Name
Matt
Last Name
P
Wow!! What brand are those? Not good!
X-BULL

*I have not done a review of them on Amazon yet. I did just purchase these as a replacement: and will be taking them out to Azuza to test and review.

Being former military, VRE-TRACK if your guy stuff is mil-spec level rugged, I'd prefer to have that.

VRE-TRAK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Florida
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Barringer
X-BULL

*I have not done a review of them on Amazon yet. I did just purchase these as a replacement: and will be taking them out to Azuza to test and review.

Being former military, VRE-TRACK if your guy stuff is mil-spec level rugged, I'd prefer to have that.

Yes our main product with @MilspecPlastics is military approved flexcuffs and other products. There is a huge list that sets us apart from the others.. the top 3 reasons..
1) 100% made and manufactured in the USA
2) 35,000 lbs+ capacity (still testing/ looking for bigger vehicles)
3) The best customer service!

That_Guy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine California
First Name
Matt
Last Name
P
Yes our main product with @MilspecPlastics is military approved flexcuffs and other products. There is a huge list that sets us apart from the others.. the top 3 reasons..
1) 100% made and manufactured in the USA
2) 35,000 lbs+ capacity (still testing/ looking for bigger vehicles)
3) The best customer service!
Well, I'm interested. When will they be available?