Matchless Campfire

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

If some of you don't know yet - I test outdoor gear for The Gear Institute, and though I won't inundate you all with my reviews - I will share some of them from time to time if I think there's a piece of gear I tested that can benefit the group. So, here we go..

Matchless Campfire approached me early in the summer to test out one of their "chemistry kit" matchless, fueless - hell, flint and steel-less, fire starting kits. I was a little freaked out at first, not knowing what kind of bomb making materials they may have sent me - but in the end, this kit turned out to be easy to use and 100% effective in terms of starting a fire in any condition. Besides making fire, it's also easy to control and virtually harmless to you and the surrounding area.

Here's my video review: http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-news/gear-spotter/item/video-review-matchless-campfire-fire-starter-kit

I carry one of their kits around with me when I head out on an adventure - whether it's on foot or driving - and I've yet to put any conscious effort into getting a fire going with it. This picture was from this past Friday. It poured out all day to the point where everything was soaking wet. This stuff gets so hot that it dried and ignited all of the wood and debris we put in the fire pit (which we made many moons ago as part of a dilapidated stone wall built in the 1700's).

Photo Oct 21, 6 19 13 PM.jpg

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I've used that as well - and have had success with it. But if it gets wet, or it's too wet out, it doesn't work as well.
However, if you're looking to buy in bulk, WiseFire is cheaper - which is nice.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Hey buddy! It's Seb from Matchless Campfire. Awesome to see you're still out here representing and telling folks about our Kits. Glad to hear it's still working well for you. Just shoot me an email if you need anything else amigo. Be well!
SEB! What's up man. I'm just letting the good people know that your stuff is the bees knees.
Keep up the good work. I'll be buying more kits soon!

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Nick, just checked out your review video. I liked that you went with the "uninformed" approach, however it did ad some unneeded length to your video. I appreciated the honest recommendations for Matchless to improve their product, as they also gave consumers a heads up.

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Nick, just checked out your review video. I liked that you went with the "uninformed" approach, however it did ad some unneeded length to your video. I appreciated the honest recommendations for Matchless to improve their product, as they also gave consumers a heads up.
That's what we do at Gear Institute - honest and upfront.

As for the length - bah! It's perfect!!! Hahah. I'm really not a video guy, but that was one of those reviews that required a video to really explain the product. So - I went for it.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

My daughter was looking at stainless growlers the other day, and I read one of the reviews she had. Got to the bottom, and there you were! Small world.
Just trying to spread the good word on gear - one product at a time!
What one did she end up with? I'm always happy to lend my expertise to help someone out in a critical decision making situation!!!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

What one did she end up with?
She (youngest daughter) was shopping for my son-in-law, who is a brand snob. When he and my eldest daughter were in Seattle last month visiting youngest daughter for Thanksgiving, she took them to Miir's headquarters. He insisted that only the Miir white growler would do. She was comparing how it was to others, but it really makes no difference, as he doesn't care for function...

For reference, we have the Swig Savvy at a much lower price, uses any ThermoFlask lid, has an insulated carry case, and no snob appeal whatsoever. :) http://amzn.to/2hpeZ7q

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

She (youngest daughter) was shopping for my son-in-law, who is a brand snob. When he and my eldest daughter were in Seattle last month visiting youngest daughter for Thanksgiving, she took them to Miir's headquarters. He insisted that only the Miir white growler would do. She was comparing how it was to others, but it really makes no difference, as he doesn't care for function...

For reference, we have the Swig Savvy at a much lower price, uses any ThermoFlask lid, has an insulated carry case, and no snob appeal whatsoever. :) http://amzn.to/2hpeZ7q
A lot of folks are stuck on brands and the image. I shed that thought process a while back and rely solely on stuff that works! I won't say I don't have or use gear with big popular names strewn across them - but they've been vetted and have passed all my tests.

Reactions: Steve

FlyJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

El Dorado Hills, CA
Member #

I tried to order from their site, but when I got to the shipping part, it said there was no shipping methods available for your cart or destination. I was using the PAYPAL method and I am in California. So not sure what the issue is, and I could not find a contact information on their site to inform them. I really don't like it when there is no contact information on a website.

So if you could forward this on to the site owner I would be greatly thankful.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

No worries!

Thanks you. I've lit fires 100 different ways - but this was not only effective - but fun and impressive.
It's like a little survival science kit.

FlyJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

El Dorado Hills, CA
Member #

I've done the same as in how many ways to start a fire. I do a lot of back country camping as well as tent and rv camping. When I am in my rv I use a handheld torch. But I like this idea for my hike in and tent camping.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I too am a fan of the tried and true "Bernzomatic" method!

The most unique method I've used was more nostalgic than anything - 200 year old flint and steel!

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I tried to order from their site, but when I got to the shipping part, it said there was no shipping methods available for your cart or destination. I was using the PAYPAL method and I am in California. So not sure what the issue is, and I could not find a contact information on their site to inform them. I really don't like it when there is no contact information on a website.

So if you could forward this on to the site owner I would be greatly thankful.
Same thing happened to me...so sent them an email. Must not like CA. Or maybe it's because we aren't supposed to have open flames in most places?