Western Virginia Monthly Meetup (old thread)

• HTML tutorial

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
I can do either my CB hasn't been tuned. Maybe sometime during the day we could do a CB tuning. I'll carry a FRS unit also.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We can try, the last couple times I've tried a CB tuning session, the issues have been much larger than just a high SWR. I can bring my analyzer though.

Reactions: Bjorn44

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
Sounds good... I've picked up a new Uniden unit, new antenna and new coax ... Everything seems to be working fine but haven't had a chance to get to tuned.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
OK guys, what time does everyone want to get together? If we can settle on a time I can try out the rally point app and get some info out there for everyone!

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
I think we should shoot for a 10 a.m. meet up. B&R looks to be maybe a half hour or so from the bottom of 162. We could be starting our Climb by 11 a.m., we could meet a little bit earlier if anybody's interested. What the consensus from the group?

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
I think we should shoot for a 10 a.m. meet up. B&R looks to be maybe a half hour or so from the bottom of 162. We could be starting our Climb by 11 a.m., we could meet a little bit earlier if anybody's interested. What the consensus from the group?

From maps

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
OK, so 10am it is! I'll try to whip up a Rally Point. I think it creates a new thread so everyone keep an eye out for that. If I can link this one, I'll try to do that too. Everyone check in so we know who to expect!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
So, meet at 10am, try to pull out of there around 10:30. We'll be on FRS 4 and CB 4 for those with radios. Bring plenty of water and stuff for lunch on the trail. Any other recommendations I should throw in???

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
So we've got the Big Levels trip this weekend guys! Awesome stuff and I'm looking forward to getting out with y'all again.

With the wife and kids back in school, I'm not sure what kinda time I'm going to have next month. Looks like the 16th and 23rd are free for me right now.

Does anyone have any place (within a day trip kind of timeline) they've been wanting to check out or that they would like to share with everyone else?

Are there any other kinds of things you'd like to do? I had thought about a potluck kind of get together in the beginning where everyone meets at a campsite and fixes one of their favorite camp dishes and can showcase their gear a bit. That might be good for some of the guys who are newer to this to see. It might give them an idea of how involved they want to get with their kitchen setup. Possibly do it as a supper and camp overnight to hang out some.

Fall is coming fast and that's my favorite time of year to camp. There's a campsite near me (The Pines near New Castle, Va) that's a great place for a gathering and near some cool roads to ride also.

Beyond that, what would y'all want to get into?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey guys, maybe not this month, but how would everyone feel about doing a Blue Ridge Parkway trip? Start on Afton Mountain and ride to the NC State line down near Fancy Gap, Va? Google says it'll take about 5hrs, plus meals and whatnot. There are picnic areas along the parkway and we could stop there and do lunch and maybe check out some of the roadside attractions like Maybry Mill down near Meadows of Dan (there's a good candy shop down there too!!) and others. It would be a nice leisurely drive and would be good for vehicles of any level to go on.

With fall just around the corner, maybe we'd even get lucky enough to catch the leaves changing.

As for September, anyone have any thoughts yet?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey guys, the NoVa group are doing a trip to Flag Pole on the 15-16th. I'm toying with the idea of going, but not 100% sure I can swing it right now.

Anyone want to get together one weekend and do something? I was thinking about checking out Blue Ridge Overland Gear in Bedford and I saw on their blog that there's a brewery and BBQ joint there close by.

I think there is another cars & coffee coming up in Roanoke as well, but I'll have to check into the details.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm planning on heading over to check out Blue Ridge Overland Gear tomorrow. Gotta detour through Roanoke in the morning. If anyone wants to meet-up, give me a shout.

Reactions: ShoKilla

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

I'm planning on heading over to check out Blue Ridge Overland Gear tomorrow. Gotta detour through Roanoke in the morning. If anyone wants to meet-up, give me a shout.
Late seeing this or I would've joined... We're up for a good drive this fall so I'll be keeping watch on this thread for the next one.

Reactions: ylojelo and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I ordered my daughters a hammock so they can come out on trips with me and I don't have to lug a tent along. If I can get the woopie slings done Thursday or Friday, I was thinking about heading over to The Pines near New Castle Saturday to test it out. Maybe bring the stuff to fix up a quick lunch and hangout for a bit. Would anyone be up for that? Play with some new gear and hang out for a while?