Western Virginia Monthly Meetup (old thread)

• HTML tutorial

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
SEE THE NEW THREAD HERE:

OK guys, I'm reworking this thread for regular monthly meets instead of starting a new one. The Kickoff was great and I hope we can keep this going. I'll keep this updated with info for the upcoming meetups so you can just check the first post for the important stuff from now on.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looks good! I'll have to get down there sometime and check that out!

*******EDITED 5/22/17 TO REWORK FIRST POST FOR REGULAR MONTHLY MEETS******

Report:
Well, I think we had a successful meet-up! J (ylojelo), Dwayne (shokilla), Comer (smalldog) and my crew met up for some good BBQ in Buena Vista then spent several hours riding around in the area. Never found a reason to put it in 4wd but we found some neat places I want to go check out again.

We decided to back track to a dispersed campsite we saw earlier and had camp setup for a couple hours before a decent lightning storm moved in on us and seemed to stall over the valley. With a car full of upset kids, the wife and I broke camp quickly and after the blessing of the other guys that they were good, we headed off.

I hate that our day ended this way but I got to meet some great guys and spend the day riding around in the George Washington National Forest. Plus the wife and I are getting really good at Xterra Tetris as J called it. Next time we'll hopefully get some better weather, or at least maybe not lightning.

TerryD #3710

Hello everyone! @Chris Jones asked me to head this up and we're working on our Kickoff Meetup for May! Planning is just beginning but feel free to chime in on the conversation! I'll be updating this first post with details as we get them ironed out and I'm looking forward to meeting up with everyone!

***UPDATE: Friday April 28th****<<also not meet-up date

OK everyone, time is up!!! According to the poll, we are going to grab lunch to get acquainted, do some exploring around Buena Vista, and then if you'd like to, camp somewhere in the area afterward on May 20th! I hope everyone can come out for this!!!

Lunch will be around 11am at JJ's Meat Shak in Buena Vista to hopefully beat the rush and give us more time to explore the area afterward. There are some FS roads close as well as two camp sites. We'll discuss the route the day of after lunch. Once more, if anyone is familiar with the area, please speak up! Also remember that if all you can make is the meal or if you'll be busy during the day but would like to catch up with us that evening riding around or at camp, please post up with that info and I'll give you ways to contact me so that is possible. I'm not expecting to encounter any terrain a stock car won't handle so no matter what you drive, please come out and join in the fun! Also, this is supposed to be family friendly so feel free to drag the kids along for the ride as well!

Follow along with my last post in this thread to put your name down as coming or possible so I have an idea of how many to expect please!! I'll keep the list updated here in the first post as you add to it! It's a rolling list so just copy the list as posted by the person before you and add your info after theirs!!!!

Going:
TerryD, Terry, dark blue Xterra, 5
Smalldog, JKU White Backcounty, 2
Pipefighter, Patch, 2010 Xterra OR, 2
ShoKilla, Dwayne, 2009 Tundra, riding solo
ylojelo, J., Tan JKU, 1+dog

Possible:
ylojelo's Cruiser buddy

***Update: Wed April 26th***<<not meet-up date
If you haven't, please vote! So far it looks like a BBQ lunch at JJ's Meat Shak in Buena Vista followed by wandering the nearby Forest Service roads.

There appears to be couple campgrounds close so if you'd like to camp as well, bring your gear!

Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting this meet-up kicked-off!!

If you don't have a rig or it's not fully built or you are just starting to get interested in overloading and the great outdoors, please come on out and join us! No call to impress, just good folks enjoying a good meal and killing a few hours on the dirt (if we can find any!)

Terry

Last edited:

sovat4r

Rank 0

Contributor I

I should be free either weekend, and have experience all over the Commonwealth on the various levels of wheeling available so I'm pretty much down for whatever

Reactions: TerryD

whitneysc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whitney
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Interested... I work in McLean, live in Gainesville and travel HWY 81 to VT regularly to visit our Hokie.

Reactions: TerryD

88 yj

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

outside Gettysburg PA
Member #

Interested for the 26 through 29 if it happens that weekend. Where would this start from. We are Mindy and Phil and we are from right outside Gettysburg, PA

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Interested for the 26 through 29 if it happens that weekend. Where would this start from. We are Mindy and Phil and we are from right outside Gettysburg, PA
Well, this is mainly to get everyone local acquainted with each other and start building localized groups, but you'd be more than welcome to come! By itself, the Kickoff might not be worth the trip but if you want, I'm sure some of our group can recommend places to see while you are here and make it a good trip for you.

There is discussion on a Virginia Statewide meetup over a weekend in the future though, and that might be something to keep your eye out for!

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Sounds good. I will keep an eye out for the notice
Also check and see if there's a Meetup going on in your area soon! @Chris Jones is over the "EAST" region and working on establishing a couple meetups in each state to get people together and build the community. There are currently three areas setup for Virginia actively working on starting a monthly gathering, so keep an eye out!!

Reactions: 88 yj

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm interested any way. Any dates. I prefer later in the month but would love to come join.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using OB Talk mobile app
Vote on what dates would work for you in the poll at the top! I think for the first meet-up we're going to try something simple. A BBQ lunch at JJ's Meat Shak in Buena Vista, then go check out some of the forest service roads in that area. There are also two primitive campsites in the area for those who would like to camp! I'm not sure if I'll camp or not but I'm looking forward to meeting everyone who can make it out.

In the future we'll be doing different things in different places, this is just a first try at getting everyone together in as central a location as we can and just get to know everyone.

If anyone is familiar with the area and knows of roads or trails we should check out please chime in. I don't know the area so we may just all wind up lost together!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Everyone be sure to vote, I'm going to set the poll to close Thursday so we can get the date and plans finalized and on the events calendar! We're trying to get the date that's best for the most people, so make yourselves heard!!

Last edited: