MABDR - Anybody Driven It Recently?

• HTML tutorial

Chris C.

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

Come Spring, I'm thinking about driving the MABDR (Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route). Has anybody recently driven this and do you have any pointers/suggestions?

Chris C.

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

We did it on jan 5th. Do you plan to do the whole route?
Im thinking about it but might do the first couple of segments starting from the South. I know the BCDR website says the trail is easy but do you think it’s something that can be done with the wife and kids or is it more geared towards being done with a multi car caravan with other skilled drivers?

SniffnKlotz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Greensburg Pennsylvania
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Cornell
Member #

It was easy enough that at a few points I needed to remind myself that the point of the trip is to get outside and explore places I haven't yet been. With the exception of the expert section, a car could do most all of it.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Doing some research on this route. If anyone is familiar how many days to complete the entirety of it? Looking to hit this in mid-June.

Reactions: Carnage_95YJ

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Camping options are pretty slim in the middle area between western MD and southern PA.
Some of the options are:
Greenridge State Park (MD). There are campsites along the forest roads. Not familiar enough to know if reservations are required.
Sleepy Creek Wildlife Area (Hedgesville, WV). Wooded setting campground with vault toilets. No amenities. First come basis, $5/ night (I think). There’s a payment drop box.
Around Harpers Ferry there are two fee campgrounds, a KOA and River Riders.
That’s about it until you get into PA. I’m not familiar with anything that direction.
Through this same area most of the route is paved or some groomed gravel.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Camping options are pretty slim in the middle area between western MD and southern PA.
Some of the options are:
Greenridge State Park (MD). There are campsites along the forest roads. Not familiar enough to know if reservations are required.
Sleepy Creek Wildlife Area (Hedgesville, WV). Wooded setting campground with vault toilets. No amenities. First come basis, $5/ night (I think). There’s a payment drop box.
Around Harpers Ferry there are two fee campgrounds, a KOA and River Riders.
That’s about it until you get into PA. I’m not familiar with anything that direction.
Through this same area most of the route is paved or some groomed gravel.
Very helpful! I’m thinking of doing MABDR North-South in June. I probably won’t be able to do it all in a week, but it would be an interesting ride home from NJ.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Doing some research on this route. If anyone is familiar how many days to complete the entirety of it? Looking to hit this in mid-June.
I’ll be heading south from NJ to NC 6/6-12/22. I’m thinking of doing a section from Wytheville, VA south as a trial run over a weekend, so I’d skip it in June.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I’ll be heading south from NJ to NC 6/6-12/22. I’m thinking of doing a section from Wytheville, VA south as a trial run over a weekend, so I’d skip it in June.
Haha I'll be right behind you if my group decides on this as our summer trip. Targeting 6/15-20. Based on my research I'd estimate it can be done in 4-6 days depending on conditions. But we'll likely have 5 of us. So stops will likley make us closer to 5 days rahter than 4.

kmgs703

Rank 0

Contributor II

Fairfax, VA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Morgan
We're considering Section 2 and probably part of 3 going Northbound either the first or second week of May [in '22 Jeep JT w/ RTT]. Knowing that it opens in May, curious if anyone has done an early season run.