Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I'm planning our 2018 trip out west. Typically, I have about 2+ weeks time in July/Aug. I have about 5 days from MA to AZ via southern route (route 66 visit). Will be trying to disperse camping as much as possible. My first plan is MA-AZ drive within 5 days. Then from AZ head north to Moab UT and end up in Ouray CO. Currently, I only have 3 days reservation for basecamp in Ouray CO. The rest of the trip is open schedule.

I'm looking for good disperse camping info in Grand Canyon area (north or south), moab UT or anything along the way from MA to AZ. In between MA to AZ, I have plan to stop and visit the following National Park. Shenandoah National Park/Smoky Mountain National Park, Ozark National Forest and along Rt 66 attraction.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
West side of Vermillion Cliffs, crazy jug point (north rim outside of park), Point Sublime , cheap permit required, inside the park, Firepoint (in the park). There are some nice spots SE of Jacob Lake off of the road to the North Rim entrance.

Valley of the Gods, Mexican Hat, UT BDR Route.

Wherever you go, there you are. Sent from my phone.

Reactions: CampWithChin

rltennal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Check out the north rim of the Grand Canyon ... Its one of the best drives (on tarmac) in AZ. Last summer I stopped by the North Kaibab Ranger District at 36.943147,-112.526295 to pick up a road use map. This will help you find good area to camp. If you are in Flagstaff, stop by the Flagstaff Ranger Station at 35.228922,-111.580326. They can hook you up with a vehicle Use Map for the Coconino National Forest.

Around Flagstaff, there are two areas that have really stuck with me over the years. One is Lockett Meadow (35.359100,-111.620715). the other is Chocolate Falls (otherwise know as Grand Falls) at 35.427813,-111.200723. When the water is running, these falls look like chocolate.

Another cool drive (on gravel) is from Williams to Jerome. your start out in William at around 6000 ft and work your way down. I think its road 108 out of Williams and then connects up with 73. Jerome has some nice shop and great history. From here follow 89A north through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.

There is tons more, I could go on forever... but if I only had a few days down there, this is where I would go. I really do miss northern Arizona. I haven't lived there for nearly 20 years, but I still call it home!

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Dispersed camping around Moab is pretty hard to find. The area has been so abused by the crowds, the places I used to camp have long since been closed. But there are many BLM improved camp areas (fees but modest) in the area. As well as the private campgrounds, hotels, etc... If your traveling without kids, and your spouse needs a break from the camping. Look into the Sunflower Inn B&B in Moab.

Between the Grand Canyon and Moab is basically one giant dispersed camp area. Lots of different ways to cross that expanse, all are pretty spectacular.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Just returned from 4-nights in Moab and stayed and free dispersed campsites every night. Before heading to white rim we stayed a few hundred yards past horsethief campground on the left...you’ll see unmarked trail, you’ll see rock formations for campfire. Also off 191, willow springs road has a bunch of free campsites...drive to back and you’ll have amazing views of arches Natl Park. For $15 and the opportunity to swim in the Colorado river, stay off RTE 128 just north of Moab.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: CampWithChin