M715 Adventure Rig

• HTML tutorial

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Hey all,

I'm starting a build thread to try to document my M715 build. I bought the truck last winter and restored it to driving condition. Since then, I've decided to go all out and build my dream adventure truck. I've already started to gather parts and information for the transformation. So far, I have a Ram 8.0L V10 as the new engine, an NP205 Tcase, and a '98 Ram 2500 as a parts truck (it has the drivetrain I want. Mostly a NV4500 behind another V10).

The goal is to swap out the original, oil burny, drive-train for the V10 backed by a NV4500 5-speed with an NP205 to transfer power. The drivetrain is also going to get a Detroit mechanical locker in the rear, Eaton e-locker in the front, a drivetrain e-brake off of the 205, and upgraded 1410 u-joints. I'm keeping the original axles and brakes because A: they're cool, and B: 5.87 gears are amazing! haha.
As far as the frame and suspension, I'm also keeping it mostly original but upgrading it. I'm going to remove the #1&3 leaf springs to try to soften the ride up and get new dampers (hopefully adjustable). I'm going to knock off any rust on the frame and paint it with some rustoleum.
The body is in really good shape and honestly doesn't need a lot of attention. The goal is to keep the patina and keep it looking the way it currently does. I need to repair a small rust hole on the back of the cab but that's it. The cab bottom, firewall, and back are going to get a coating of Lizard Skin sound deadener and heat insulation. I'm also going to put the sound deadener on the hood, front fender wells, and the bottom of the truck bed. The engine bay is currently like a cathedral it's so echo-y.
For the interior, I'm going to update it a bit to try to make it more comfortable. I'll be bedlining the floor and back of the cab for protection. The OE seats are toast so I'm going to upgrade to a pair of Corbeau low back, suspension seats. I'm going to make some flannel door panel covers that hopefully will have a plaid to match the truck's colors. I'll need a new heater box for the defroster and some heat. I'm also going to fab up a roll cage to fit under the soft top for some safety.

As for goodies, that list is expensive. haha. I'm planning on fabing a winch bumper to hold a Warn VR12000. I'm going to get a Rugged Radio VOX radio for the driver and passenger as well as a CB. I'm going to put an auxiliary driving light where the front blackout light would be (on the hood). The bed will get a truck box, pop-up tent, and a hi-lift jack.
I'm sure I'm leaving a couple things out but I think at this point I'm starting to ramble. This should be an epic build! I can't wait to get started!

S

SubeeBen

Looks like quite a project love the old school look. Good luck & cant wait to see the build.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
You've got one too? That's awesome! Have you done anything with it? Any pics or related threads?
Yep! She's a 1967. I call her Hot Donna, because I love That 70's Show, and Big Red wouldn't make sense once she's blonde (desert tan).
m715.2.jpg m715.jpg m715.3.jpg

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Wow! Ambitious build! How long are you thinking this is going to take?

Looking forward to watching it.

-jim lee

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Yep! She's a 1967. I call her Hot Donna, because I love That 70's Show, and Big Red wouldn't make sense once she's blonde (desert tan).
View attachment 51063 View attachment 51064 View attachment 51065
That's awesome! I love the nickname! haha. It's perfect.

Wow! Ambitious build! How long are you thinking this is going to take?

Looking forward to watching it.

-jim lee
Honestly, probably around 2 years. It's going to take a while to convert everything over. It doesn't help that parts aren't cheap. Especially whenever I get around to replacing the 50year old tires :astonished:

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Keep in mind V-10 capable speeds and drum brakes.

A cool looking build.

These guys are a good bet when you get around to looking for tires if you are staying military tread.

http://www.stausaonline.com/
It should be ok braking power wise. She can lock up the tires easily currently. Plus, the final drive gears should keep the top speed down. I’m not planning on going any faster than 60mph.

Thanks for the tire advice! I was actually looking into re-centered humvee wheels that way i can run newer tires. Trail worthy fab has a good deal. I haven’t made up my mind though. But I’m putting the cart in front of the horse with the tire planning anyways. Haha

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
I love this idea! I have an M715 too and recently bought an M101A1 trailer. I'm not sure I want to swap out the drivetrain, so that makes my options limited just getting to the trail. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your build!
Nice truck! Yeah, with the tornado they're pretty slow. The fastest I will go in mine if 50mph, but I cruise around 45mph. It really doesn't want to go any faster. haha. If you haven't already found M715zone, they have a ton of info on engine swap and updating drivetrains.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I love this idea! I have an M715 too and recently bought an M101A1 trailer. I'm not sure I want to swap out the drivetrain, so that makes my options limited just getting to the trail. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your build!
Not to thread jack, but where did you get these wheels? I am looking for something different than the split ring/safety ring design that can stock.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Nice truck! Yeah, with the tornado they're pretty slow. The fastest I will go in mine if 50mph, but I cruise around 45mph. It really doesn't want to go any faster. haha. If you haven't already found M715zone, they have a ton of info on engine swap and updating drivetrains.
I have considered a swap, but my reasoning for not doing one at this time aside from a lack of funds is also the lack of ability to do it. I have had the idea of swapping out the NP200 with a Dana 18 so I can slap on a Saturn OD kit and maybe free up a few more mph. That would also take care of the NP200 overheating issue that they're known for. Not the best route to go but for the cost, I'd say it's worth it. Only downside is losing the parking brake, which on my tcase really doesn't work regardless of what adjustments I make.

TXLeadfoot

Rank I

Contributor III

Whitewright, Texas USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Pamplin

Attachments

Reactions: RiverWagon

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I love this series of trucks, but with all the work that you are doing, why not go for a coil suspension? It would make for a better ride and better articulation off road. Also, maybe consider some dynamat or some similar product for the firewall and the floor of the cab - it will already be insanely loud, but some sound dampening will do wonders to reduce fatigue.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
I love this series of trucks, but with all the work that you are doing, why not go for a coil suspension? It would make for a better ride and better articulation off road. Also, maybe consider some dynamat or some similar product for the firewall and the floor of the cab - it will already be insanely loud, but some sound dampening will do wonders to reduce fatigue.
oh yeah, it's loud enough as is. haha. I was going to try lizard skin as well. I'm going to remove a couple leafs from the spring pack to soften it up. I don't want to change the suspension that much. It's really just changing what's needed to make the engine work.