On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

M416 Military Trailer - $450 OBO - Portland Maine - delivery possible for fee

SOLD !

Bought this trailer July 2017 with plans to fix it up for off-road and camping, but now have another trailer.

- 1/4 ton Vietnam era trailer
- original Lunette Ring (can be switched from lower to higher)
- original landing gear
- has original wiring harness
- has original handles for front that prev owner took off when patching front
- military non-directional tires
- previous owner had taken tub off the frame to clean
- needs a new floor and patching along back end
- now has legal trailer lights installed with 4 pole harness
- goes over the road good, was hauled here with no problem
- these images taken July 2017
- pics of frame etc available

Private message with any questions and your best offer.

RoadsM416_170701-01.jpg

RoadsM416_170701-04.jpg

RoadsM416_170701-09.jpg

RoadsM416_170701-05.jpg

RoadsM416_170701-02.jpg

Last edited:

ljmj

Rank I

Contributor III

Hi, this is Mike, aka (LJMJ) I live in W. Pa. is the trailer still available? if so, could you please send pics of frame to _______. this is a my personal phone. I appreciate your time. thanks in advance

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi, this is Mike, aka (LJMJ) I live in W. Pa. is the trailer still available? if so, could you please send pics of frame to 724.712.3438. this is a my personal phone. I appreciate your time. thanks in advance
Mike, there is a fellow from Boston coming tomorrow to look at both my trailers (I also have a WWII era Bantam T3-C for sale), and if the M416 is still here, another guy coming on Wed from just an hour away. If the M416 is still available after Wed, I'll get in touch with you.

Here are some more images, though, taken just a couple weeks ago, with the frame only pic at the bottom taken last July when the PO had the tub off (he was going to use the tub on a Jeep Pickup project, but found he actually needed the narrower WWII model tub):

180201_5071-800.jpg

^^ This shows the original landing gear and Lunette ring, which can be switched to high or low positions depending on the height of your tow vehicle's hitch. I've seen guys fab up a ball hitch to bolt in the upper hold so you can tow it with a regular tow ball.

The above image also shows where the PO had added material to the bottom of the tub front, which now needs to be cleaned, primed, and painted. If new owner is not planning on keeping the back of the tub intact and is going to make a tailgate, the same will need to be done to the back.

The above image also shows the original hand brake and the temporary 4way wiring for trailer lights.

180201_5072-800.jpg
^^ This shows one of the original wiring harnesses. Haven't tested them, but I would bet they're not in best working shape.

180201_5073-800.jpg
^^ Close up of the hand brake, wiring harness, and front right corner.

180201_5074-800.jpg
^^ View from above of the trailer floor, from the front. The back edge of the trailer floor and the lower edge of the tub will need patching. Some guys replace the whole floor either with PT plywood, diamond plate (too heavy in my opinion) or sheet steel. You can buy repro floors for these that come from the Phillipines, but they are more common for the WWII era trailers. Original floors for these trailers have ribs along the length that add a lot of strength/stability.

180201_5075-800.jpg
^^ View from under the front left corner looking back. Some scaling on the paint but the frame seems solid and plenty workable. My plan was to strip it all down, tub off, clean/scrape/rust-preventative/prime/linex.

180201_5076-800.jpg
^^ View from above from the rear looking forward. That's snow on the front patch lower edge, though this shows the front edge of the floor needs work. These trailers have a 1" or so lip all the way around from the tub that holds the floor. You can see that lip at the bottom of the front panel of the tub.

180201_5077-800.jpg
^^ Original fenders, new temp lights for transport. Some guys use these permanently. This also shows one of the tabs on the tub used to bolt it to the frame.

180201_5078-800.jpg
^^ View from underneath from the back towards the front, showing the underneath of the floor, another wiring harness, the left leaf pack, shock, bushings, and straight axle.

180201_5079-800.jpg
^^ Same as previous image showing the right side.

180201_5080-800.jpg
^^ Right rear corner, showing the lower edge of the tub back needs patching. I'd do it like the front, all the way across. I would also build in some drain holes. These trailers always start rotting in these corners from owners leaving them parked and tilted either forward or back. Then all the leaves and snow sit packed for months.

180201_5081-800.jpg
^^ This is a good little 1/4 ton trailer. Reviewing these images, I want to keep it and work on it, but truth is I just don't have good inside workspace where I can do that.

180201_5083-800.jpg
^^ From under front right corner showing hand brake cables. I'm sure they will need work too, though it's an easy fix as it's a super simple system. You can buy a lot of these parts at various places online.

M416-JO-170630-03.jpg
^^ Same trailer, tub off, last July.

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thank you for the information and your time. Look forward to hearing from you next week. Enjoy the planet!
Neither of the guys who wanted to come look at the trailers followed through, so both are still available. Located in Portland, Maine, just a mile or so from the interstate.

Everyone - DM with any questions and your best offer! Both of these are ready to go.

ljmj

Rank I

Contributor III

Hey Road, I have studied the photos a great deal and like what I see. I would like make an offer to you. I'm just not sure if this is a private message nor do I know how to place one on here. Perhaps you could help me. I would like to keep this private . Mike ( Beaver Falls )

Reactions: Road

Smatts

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Maine
First Name
Matt
Last Name
G
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1HOI
Is this still for sale? Or did the person buy it? I'm very interested and am in Maine also

ljmj

Rank I

Contributor III

Pick up taking place on Wednesday! He does have a nice Bantam for sale as far as I know. Follow up about the BT-3. I own an early production BT-3 , great addition to my camping /work ideas. Great utility
Good luck. He seems like a good person to deal with

Smatts

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Maine
First Name
Matt
Last Name
G
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1HOI
Ya, I saw that. Out of my price range unfortunately. The other half gave me a measly $500 budget. Looks like I'll be building one [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app