Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Who has built M416 or similar "Jeep trailers"?

I'm interested in ideas for finishing mine.... So far, Ive extended the tongue for better control when backing it, and replaced the "foot" because it was all rusted. I replaced the floor of the trailer with Trex for rustproofing. The axle is a 3500 pound axle, so I can now carry more than the original 500 pound load.

Especially how to mount a platform or "roof rack" above the bed.

Here it is asJeep and Trailer.jpg it sits now:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Im looking for a source for brackets similar to these mounting the platform - or another idea for this approach...

View attachment 80199
(first trailer photo, This is a well dressed out trailer).very well thought out in it's execution.

OVERLAND COMMANDER : It will be interesting to see your build out. These trailers seem to be a good foundation to start with. The axle upgrade was a good idea. When i was testing Hummers, we used a loaded one , to the max, and had some weld issues. The original axle was not up to the job. The R&D people went thru 3 axle upgrades before they found one that lasted. This trailer had a load-out of about 1000#, and the test was for the Hummer, towing, not the trailer itself. Also speeds on rough roads/trails was mandated for 20-25 MPH. I'm sure this type of abuse will not be seen. I would suggest keeping a eye on stress cracks on the box itself, AND....the spring hangers****

Last edited: