Lowes trailer build.

• HTML tutorial

Mudtoa

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix
Still have a lot I want to do but liking it so far. Did an axle flip to get some lift and the roof rack is from harbor freight. Smitty built xl tent. Planning on putting a toll box in the front of the trailer and some Jerry can mounts.
Jaking1591 what trailer did you start with?

Jaking1591

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Forest, Virginia 24551, United States
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
King
Member #

Still have a lot I want to do but liking it so far. Did an axle flip to get some lift and the roof rack is from harbor freight. Smitty built xl tent. Planning on putting a toll box in the front of the trailer and some Jerry can mounts.
Jaking1591 what trailer did you start with?
It's a 5x8 lowes utility trailer. Paid like $600 for it three years ago

Reactions: Mudtoa

Jaking1591

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Forest, Virginia 24551, United States
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
King
Member #

Reactions: Mudtoa

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
You guys that have gone the Lowe’s 3.5x5 route, what level of terrain have you guys pulled it through? Dirt roads or has it gone on the trails? Actually started looking at this exact model last night. What style RTT rack did you use? Amy modifications to it or the trailer?

sorry for the bevy of questions, just very interested in this specific setup. I want to build one to pull behind my Wrangler (and my Bronco later this year once I get it). I’d like to upsize to 31-33” tires, I believe it has dexter axles but it’s a solid tube and not torsion IIRC. Would definitely consider upgrading to torsion or timbren down the road, but this seems like a great starting point. Let me know of any tips, tricks, add ons or modifications you guys make as you go. Thanks for all the info!

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I welded 2 bars to the top to mount my RTT and it added a good deal of extra rigidity. Will eventually diamond plate it. Taken it on a few trails in the Talladega NF and the Bankhead NF. Just take my time and it does OK. It ain't a Turtleback, but that's OK, too. Loaded with my Solo firepit, chairs, 2 action packers, firewood, and an easy-up style popup canopy, it weighs about 500 lbs total. Axle upgrade later this year.

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
@SimpleJack, did you reinforce the frame on yours at all? How much off road have you done with it.... just pulling to trailhead or actually on the trails? Just curious how that axle is holding up. If it’s the same axle as the 4x6, it should be a dexter, fairly stout. I’m just not a fan of how low it sits. Just curious if it’s given you any problems

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
No problems yet, knock on wood. After the axle swap and bigger tires/wheels it has plenty of clearance. I’ve taken it on a few rough trails but was somewhat cautious. I’m sure a heavy diet of rough trails might not be wise but I wouldn’t hesitate to hit the road for Alaska right now.

SimpleJack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Petawawa, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ej
Last Name
Roy
Member #

@SimpleJack, did you reinforce the frame on yours at all? How much off road have you done with it.... just pulling to trailhead or actually on the trails? Just curious how that axle is holding up. If it’s the same axle as the 4x6, it should be a dexter, fairly stout. I’m just not a fan of how low it sits. Just curious if it’s given you any problems
Oh man! What can I say about this. I have trailed literally everywhere with this trailer. I've been on sandy trails just flying and I've been on rocky trails pulling it literally over everything just not giving a heck. I've had this thing bounce so hig that I thought it was gunna flip over top of my jeep haha!.

I dont have anything reinforced with metal however there is some 3/4 in ply wood for the box so the my stuff doesn't get as wet.

I'm sure I could toss it off a cliff and it would survive.

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
I'm sure I could toss it off a cliff and it would survive.
I’m pretty sure we would be best friends if I lived closer

But that is exactly the kind of review I’m looking for. I’ll probably start with the axle flip, but eventually I’d like to upgrade it to a torsion axle that bolts directly to the bottom side of the trailer, or just go with timbren and make it fully independent. Great to know it’s a good start right out of the box. You running the stock tiresthat came with it?
What lift and tires are you running on your Jeep? It looks pretty level on the hitch angle.

SimpleJack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Petawawa, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ej
Last Name
Roy
Member #

I upgraded the tires to a bigger tire, cant quite remember what size but its the next size up for trailers anys. Only problem with it is that by doing the the clearance between the tire and the trailer its self is kinda close. (Width) so all I did for that was shave some bolts and I just added 4 washers the the lugs behind the tire before putting the tire bolts back on. NOW with saying that do I recommend doing that instead of spacers of offset rims. Not a chance, and ill cross that bridge whenever something happens.

As for the jeep, its a 2013 Rubicon unlimited lemon edition with some 33 KO2s and a Rubicon express 3 inch lift.