Launch Member

Contributor I

Joplin MO
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Nash
Member #

I have a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport. Looking to put a small lift and upgraded tires.

Does anyone have experience with the below lift kit?

IMG_7648.JPG

Any recommendations on tires that can perform well on mild trails but don’t create much road noise?

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

This isn't a real lift. While it will lift it, it doesn't increase wheel travel. You can get over taller things under the car but you don't get the advantage of a better springs and shocks. So it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Lifting for looks this will work for offroading something like this Coil/Bilstein 5100 Kit (HS16BK-1) is minimum.

OzarkNewb

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Joplin MO
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Nash
Member #

This isn't a real lift. While it will lift it, it doesn't increase wheel travel. You can get over taller things under the car but you don't get the advantage of a better springs and shocks. So it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Lifting for looks this will work for offroading something like this Coil/Bilstein 5100 Kit (HS16BK-1) is minimum.

I want the look, of course, but also trail performance. I will not be doing technical trails in this, as its my daily driver, but I plan to do some mild off roading and logging/fire road exploring. Hoping to keep the wheels & tires, lift, and bumper upgrades under $3k.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I would recommend a short lift. Factory springs and shocks are ok for pavement use. Any off-road travel or carrying a load and you'll want to upgrade. I recommend Old Man Emu springs for sure. I have heard good things about their BP-51 shocks, but they do not make them for my application, so I went with Bilstein 5100's. I have the heavy duty rate springs, but you could probably get away with medium duty depending on your plans for adding weight. I know I planned way ahead for the added weight, but I'm glad I did. And I think all in all, I've spent $1k on the lift. That's including needing to replace parts due to the age and wear of my vehicle. I would not skimp on the quality of the lift. I have seen people go budget boost many times to only upgrade soon after. The performance and quality lack.

Reactions: OzarkNewb

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I want the look, of course, but also trail performance. I will not be doing technical trails in this, as its my daily driver, but I plan to do some mild off roading and logging/fire road exploring. Hoping to keep the wheels & tires, lift, and bumper upgrades under $3k.
What are you looking for in bumpers? What is the purpose? Changing them is for offroading to prevent damage to factory ones or to allow more clearance for bigger tires. To me they seem very overpriced for what they get you. Look for other ways to accomplish your goals that are less costly and put your money into performance or usability upgrades. The appropriate lift kit, Tires, recovery gear, maybe lights. Look for the bigger bang for the buck. I think you will be happier.

OzarkNewb

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Joplin MO
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Nash
Member #

What are you looking for in bumpers? What is the purpose? Changing them is for offroading to prevent damage to factory ones or to allow more clearance for bigger tires. To me they seem very overpriced for what they get you. Look for other ways to accomplish your goals that are less costly and put your money into performance or usability upgrades. The appropriate lift kit, Tires, recovery gear, maybe lights. Look for the bigger bang for the buck. I think you will be happier.
Bumpers are crazy expensive if you ask me! I do want some protection from large obstacles but you can spend my entire budget on bumpers. I think you are correct. For my purposes, light to medium trails, I can get more capability from other upgrades.

Reactions: DrivingTacoLoco

csmullins89

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairfax, VA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Mullins
Member #

Hi All,

I'm new to OB and overland in general I recently picked up a 2000 nissan frontier crew cab v6 and looking to put around 3k into it for overland a few things I would like are tires and rims thinking cheap but decent alterain tires 30" or so and black steel off road rims 15". Either a leveling kit or 2.5 inch lift if necessary. Will also need to update the radiator and air filter will probably go with a k&n but open to suggestions. If anyone has pointers for line-x or rhino lining the whole truck I'm thinking about doing two colors and different grit levels. Looking for an almost flat red for the cab and most of the bed with back with heavy grit for the bed, underbody and bottom 1/4 of the body. Any and all suggestions are welcome and I look forward to many adventures.

Best regards,

Drwright 68

Rank 0

Contributor I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Wright
I would recommend a short lift. Factory springs and shocks are ok for pavement use. Any off-road travel or carrying a load and you'll want to upgrade. I recommend Old Man Emu springs for sure. I have heard good things about their BP-51 shocks, but they do not make them for my application, so I went with Bilstein 5100's. I have the heavy duty rate springs, but you could probably get away with medium duty depending on your plans for adding weight. I know I planned way ahead for the added weight, but I'm glad I did. And I think all in all, I've spent $1k on the lift. That's including needing to replace parts due to the age and wear of my vehicle. I would not skimp on the quality of the lift. I have seen people go budget boost many times to only upgrade soon after. The performance and quality lack.
+1 for OME lift. I run one on my fj60 and it is a drastic improvement.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Pass on the k&n. They don't work will cause problems with the dusty and wet environment of overlanding. The factory keeps the filter in a closed box. Bigger wheels and tires will add height. Get a lift kit that includes suspension components. Check rugged rocks off-road. Nissan experts

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
+1 for OME lift. I run one on my fj60 and it is a drastic improvement.
+2 My OME Setup has worked great for over 100,000 miles. Best of the budget tier IMHO. You asked about tires... can of worms. Plenty of good options. I like Cooper Discoverer AT/3's or STT Max but there are many other good ones.