Looking for Threaded Screw Mounts/Project Feedback. . .

• HTML tutorial

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey all, I scored a great aluminum Zarges case on clearance that I'd like to turn into a portable desk/work surface/table for camp and van. It is a perfect size at approx 19 x 35 x 7.5 deep. It has a 1/2" recess all the way around on the underside.

zarges-desk_5688.jpeg

I would like to be able to mount legs simply at each corner. I'd rather not have an accordion style expanding leg setup that the desk just sits on, but four simple straight legs I can attach and remove easily that will stay in place if I move the desk around. The case is long enough to hold the legs inside when not being used.

One possibility is threaded screw mounts in each corner installed on the underside that would receive threaded rod inserted in the top of each leg. The mounts can be no more than 1/2" in height, so I can still slide the case without the mounts catching when the legs are not installed. The mounts could be secured from the inside of the case.

I poked around online but haven't found just what I want. A lot of small threaded tee inserts that don't seem substantial enough. I'd like the thread to be fairly good sized, not just 1/4".

Anyone know of a threaded female mount that might work?

zarges-desk_5683.jpeg

Another option I'm considering would be to create a square or rectangular hole in each corner, with a sleeve on the inside to receive metal or wooden legs. Just slip 'em in, maybe with a set screw or pin on the inside so they don't slip if I move the desk. This might actually be easier to set up than finding and securing the right threaded mounts and threaded inserts for the leg ends. It would also allow the legs to have a slight splay for greater stability.

Either way of mounting would allow having both a regular length and a short length set of legs.

zarges-desk_5687.jpeg

Envelope sketch of leg sleeve idea:
zarges-desk-sketch_5690.jpeg

Actually, looking at it now, it might be easier and just as stable to create the leg holder sleeves on the outside and at each end of the case, instead of cutting holes and having them slide up through the bottom into interior sleeves. I'd bend the sleeves up out of aluminum at the slight angle I want, with top and side flanges to rivet through the case. Then have a lock pin for each leg to hold them in place.

Any other ideas, solutions, materials I should consider?

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
McMaster Carr, 1/2” aluminum threaded pipe and pipe flange. The flange will help distribute the pressure on the thin bottom of that case. Each flange will have 4 through bolts. Use large fender washers on the onside of the case to prevent tear out. Should be about $100 depending on the length of the leg you select. End caps for the bottom of the legs optional there as well. You could even make it so the legs fit in the case when not in use. No tools needed for assembly/disassembly.

Reactions: Road

N8roro

Rank 0

Traveler I

What about a 3/8" pipe flanges as the mounting points? You could use 3/8 pipe with couplings as the legs and then they would fit in the box. 3/8" caps would make good feet. You could use 1/2" pipe parts if you need more strength.

Ha, I just noticed Cort said basically the same thing! Great minds think alike.

The downside will be the weight of steel legs. Your sleeve option seems like a good one and I would probably go that way because the table will be stronger with legs mounted to the side of the case vs the top.

Reactions: Cort and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

McMaster Carr, 1/2” aluminum threaded pipe and pipe flange. The flange will help distribute the pressure on the thin bottom of that case. Each flange will have 4 through bolts. Use large fender washers on the onside of the case to prevent tear out. Should be about $100 depending on the length of the leg you select. End caps for the bottom of the legs optional there as well. You could even make it so the legs fit in the case when not in use. No tools needed for assembly/disassembly.
What about a 3/8" pipe flanges as the mounting points? You could use 3/8 pipe with couplings as the legs and then they would fit in the box. 3/8" caps would make good feet. You could use 1/2" pipe parts if you need more strength.

Ha, I just noticed Cort said basically the same thing! Great minds think alike.

The downside will be the weight of steel legs. Your sleeve option seems like a good one and I would probably go that way because the table will be stronger with legs mounted to the side of the case vs the top.

Thank you both for the flange idea. I'd considered regular pipe flanges, but not from McMaster-Carr or aluminum, which would be tons lighter. That's a great suggestion.

I don't know why I rarely think of McMaster-Carr in these situations; I've known of them for years, just never actually purchased from them. They're like Grainger in the sense of having a wide variety of items you don't see anymore in stores. I used to work in an old style hardware store with four floors of everything from casket handles and Victorian laces to boxes of silicon-bronze wood screws for boat-building. I loved that place. Smelled of linseed-oiled floors and old pipe smoke.

Yep, as I wrote, the case is long enough to store the legs when not in use. I'll want the top surface to be about typical desk or counter height, 30-33". Grab the legs from the case and install quickly, uninstall and stow 'em back away, slide the case into trailer or van. Easy-peasy. I'll poke around for threaded aluminum pipe and flange to see just what's available. I think I'd make a corner plate to cover and stiffen the whole area inside for nuts instead of fender washers. It's pretty stout aluminum.

I suspect, though, that only being 1/2" deep max for thread with straight legs, not splayed, and that the case will most likely have stuff in it all the time, it will end up being top-heavy, so spindly and probably unsteady. I'd love to find some cast aluminum mounts that have the female thread at a slight angle, so threaded legs would splay slightly, and therefore be more stable. Hmm, I could actually fab up 5º wedges with holes, to go between each flange and case bottom. That would give a smidgeon more depth and provide the splay I want.

If this works out, I may get another and do the same thing with it, as these are sturdy cases, will last forever, and would provide a great solution to both storage and work surface needs. I intend to set up off-grid base camps in which I can work on stuff for several days at a time like leather and canvas work, setting up small group workshops, etc. These could prove to be very functional and versatile.

I appreciate the brainstorming, gentlemen. It is immensely helpful. Thank you!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Road

What about using 1/2" T-Track under the lip on the bottom? You could either bolt or rivet the tracks in place on the bottom of the case then slide legs in and tighten with a twist.

3 splayed legs with one being adjustable for length would allow for good stability on about any terrain. Maybe score an old photo tripod off Craigslist for the legs.

Boort

Attachments

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road

What about using 1/2" T-Track under the lip on the bottom? You could either bolt or rivet the tracks in place on the bottom of the case then slide legs in and tighten with a twist.

3 splayed legs with one being adjustable for length would allow for good stability on about any terrain. Maybe score an old photo tripod off Craigslist for the legs.

Boort
Hey man, very clever! Hadn't thought about a track but I like the potential. The leg mounts could have bolt plates that lock in like accessories in a roof rack; twist to tighten.
I thought about having legs be adjustable for uneven terrain and was thinking about having them slide with pressure pin locks, or be wooden with simple wing-nut adjustments. Though you're right, only really need one to be adjustable in most situations. I have old tripods around, most with plastic tab style locking mechanisms. I like the OZTent poles too, though, with simple but very strong and tight twist-locks.

I've used a lot of Kreg track and tools in cabinetwork, and have a bunch of track around I might experiment with.

You do that zargestablemock in SketchUp? Nicely done, and I appreciate you taking the time to play with a design.

I'm fancying having smooth oiled hardwood legs, just 1"x 1.25"x 30" sliding into snug, slightly angled aluminum side pockets; sort of a mix of old and new style. One or more of that type leg could be made adjustable, as well.

You guys rock . . . this is great brainstorming. I can see myself using a few of these at a time, all set to the same height, for any number of purposes. Thinking, too, about how to make a drawer in the long space between the front locks.

Last edited:

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I want to see the finished project for sure! McMaster Carr has an awesome app, I like it more then the webpage. If you search “T Slot” you will find all kinds of track stuff.

80/20 is a vet owned extruded aluminum T slot company as well.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I want to see the finished project for sure! McMaster Carr has an awesome app, I like it more then the webpage. If you search “T Slot” you will find all kinds of track stuff.

80/20 is a vet owned extruded aluminum T slot company as well.
I didn't know 80/20 is vet owned; I'll be damned. I've been looking at that, and other extruded aluminum solutions and connectors for other in-vehicle storage projects I'm thinking about.

Just heard back from Zarges about getting more of these field desk-sized cases, and they're offering me a pretty good deal, though on a dozen or more. Less than half of original price. Can't really swing that unless I knew I could definitely pass them along at cost plus improvements. I might see what price I can get for a half-dozen, though.

I can see these being quite helpful in the field for all sorts of contractors, aid workers, etc.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’ll bet you could find a lot of folks on here to buy them up. That looks like a great size for a roof rack too.
Yes, I agree. It is shallow, wide, could stack two in the same height as a lot of other containers. I have three of the K470 "bear-resistant" Zarges and use them every time I go out. I think this one will get as much use, though more for desk, prep surface for kitchen, work surface for whatever, card table, etc.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hey man, very clever! ... I've used a lot of Kreg track and tools in cabinetwork, and have a bunch of track around I might experiment with.
You do that zargestablemock in SketchUp? Nicely done, and I appreciate you taking the time to play with a design.
@Road
Thanks, IIRC, the T-Track profile I used was Incra (very similar to Kreg) I think both now allow a bit more flexibility for T-Nuts, T-Bolts or Regular bolts for connecting than other makers. I did the mockup of the track and case together, but did not model either this time. Both were available in 3d warehouse so that image was about 5 mins to make.

Other thoughts were to mount 2 strips of T-track to the sides and have 1 fixed bolt at the top of the leg and one sliding bolt set into a slot in the leg. This would allow you to adjust height +/- ~5" by tweaking the splay. 80/20 is awesome stuff I was looking at it for my drawer setup. They will send you a free sample kit with a couple of 1x1 profiles and some of their different fasteners along with a isometric pad for planning builds if you give them your mailing addr. TNUTZ is also good with a slightly different set of profiles.

If you need some serious sliders check out http://openbuildspartstore.com/ they have profiles with builtin V-slots for running rollers. They mostly supply CNC makers so the stuff has really good tolerances and is $5 flat rate shipping sale right now.

Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Just heard back from Zarges about getting more of these field desk-sized cases, and they're offering me a pretty good deal, though on a dozen or more. Less than half of original price. Can't really swing that unless I knew I could definitely pass them along at cost plus improvements. I might see what price I can get for a half-dozen, though.
@Road,

You might Ask @Michael about doing a group buy. Get quotes for 2-3 popular sizes and the min buy numbers for each to get a good and see if the community has any interest. There has been a lot of interest here on the forums for over-landing case solutions from a lot of us Newbies.

Boort

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road,

You might Ask @Michael about doing a group buy. Get quotes for 2-3 popular sizes and the min buy numbers for each to get a good and see if the community has any interest. There has been a lot of interest here on the forums for over-landing case solutions from a lot of us Newbies.

Boort
Michael has written in the past about not being a fan of group buys, if I recall, because it cuts the margins and sort of suggests/forces the vendor to do something they may not have otherwise offered.

Zarges offered me a price on the one size I already bought because they have a quantity on clearance for whatever reason; cosmetic flaw or being discontinued.

I really have no interest in going through all the motions, either, of handling something like a group buy myself for multiple sizes that others may want, and handling the negotiation and payments and distribution. It would not be fair to ask the vendor to ship individually, either.

I once got a dozen used Pelican cases pretty cheap that I then offered at around half price of MSRP. Though I didn't mind terribly doing it at the time, I ended up spending an inordinate amount of time in communications, waiting on deposits and payments, and running back and forth to Fedex to weigh and get shipping costs, then back to actually ship to a mess of different places around the country. Some people were pissed off because they didn't get one. Others were unhappy because I would not sell them more than I had available. Still others wanted me to hold cases for them for way longer than I was comfortable with, when I had other buyers waiting. Ended up being a royal pain, really.

So, no, I don't really want part of orchestrating group buys, to be honest.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road
Thanks, IIRC, the T-Track profile I used was Incra (very similar to Kreg) I think both now allow a bit more flexibility for T-Nuts, T-Bolts or Regular bolts for connecting than other makers. I did the mockup of the track and case together, but did not model either this time. Both were available in 3d warehouse so that image was about 5 mins to make.

Other thoughts were to mount 2 strips of T-track to the sides and have 1 fixed bolt at the top of the leg and one sliding bolt set into a slot in the leg. This would allow you to adjust height +/- ~5" by tweaking the splay. 80/20 is awesome stuff I was looking at it for my drawer setup. They will send you a free sample kit with a couple of 1x1 profiles and some of their different fasteners along with a isometric pad for planning builds if you give them your mailing addr. TNUTZ is also good with a slightly different set of profiles.

If you need some serious sliders check out http://openbuildspartstore.com/ they have profiles with builtin V-slots for running rollers. They mostly supply CNC makers so the stuff has really good tolerances and is $5 flat rate shipping sale right now.

Boort
Cool, this is all handy info, Boort, especially that 80/20 will send a sample kit. I've been toying with a number of ideas for different projects involving that type of product.

Very cool, too, that you were able to do that mock-up so quickly and easily. I've used Sketch-up for some pretty involved designs, like entire off-grid housing, but not much for small projects. I just don't always think of it, so sketch it out on an envelope or scratch pad first. Gotta try and keep hand drawing and hand writing alive!

Thanks for the info and the link!

=======================

sketch-up fun:

AquaFria-add-01.png

Last edited: