Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
As the title suggests, I'm looking for some recommendations for dispersed camping in south western Idaho, preferably within a couple hours drive of Boise/Nampa/Caldwell.

Were starting to introduce my 3 year old to camping in a few weeks, and after that, are looking to go again.

While campgrounds are great, and have their place, I'm more interested in not being by other people, so we can enjoy some piece and quiet (and don't irritate others with a noisy 3 year old).

Any recommendations you folks have would be fantastic.

I'm driving an 04 colorado z71 with skid plates being my only current mod.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Bumping this so it doesn't get lost. Still looking for suggestions.

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Try this website, it shows free and paid camp areas. Also has leads on dispersed camp sites. Best part it is has reviews and photos.
Campendium Boise Area
Second look at this one, it has filters like Gaia GPS. This will show you dirt roads and BLM/public land, it also has comments and notes about it. A very good resource for finding new spots to setup camp. From Boise I think the further south you go the better, Utah is a paradise for such camping but that's a bit out the range you want to drive .
Outly

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Try this website, it shows free and paid camp areas. Also has leads on dispersed camp sites. Best part it is has reviews and photos.
Campendium Boise Area
Second look at this one, it has filters like Gaia GPS. This will show you dirt roads and BLM/public land, it also has comments and notes about it. A very good resource for finding new spots to setup camp. From Boise I think the further south you go the better, Utah is a paradise for such camping but that's a bit out the range you want to drive .
Outly
This is great!! I had no idea this existed. Thanks man!

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

This is great!! I had no idea this existed. Thanks man!
Those two are probably the best resource starting out, one you learn it a bit Gaia GPS or some of the others are a bit more advanced but you can find even less traveled routes that are fair game for setting up camp.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Lots of stuff open in the Boise National Forest, Payette National Forest, Sawtooths, and Owyhee's - Get a map and go! Trinity Lakes are still probably Snow-bound.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Lots of stuff open in the Boise National Forest, Payette National Forest, Sawtooths, and Owyhee's - Get a map and go! Trinity Lakes are still probably Snow-bound.
While I'm totally fine with this approach, with a 3 year old, I feel it would be best to have an idea where I'd like to go.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

While I'm totally fine with this approach, with a 3 year old, I feel it would be best to have an idea where I'd like to go.
Brian, my point is - there's lots of places in the Southwestern section of Idaho. Sit at the dining room table with the Mrs. Determine safe "travel Distance," "travel Time" ie [less than 3 hours], etc. Water, running (streams) flat (lakes), Mtn's, Sage Brush; Animals - No Spiders, or snakes, etc. Within an hour of Boise - you can be in the Mountains, on either the middle or North Fork of the Boise River. Or out in the middle of a sage brush steepe near Pronghorn's. On the shores of Arrowrock Res. 2 1/2 hours of Boise - puts you into the Boulder-White Clouds, Craters of the Moon, Snake River drainage east of Twin Falls, deep into the Owyhees. Or even south and west of Baker City Oregon up at Sumpter. 3 1/2 hours from Boise puts you into the Gospel Humps wilderness, on the Shore of Wallowa Lake, into the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, down into the Steen Mountains. You get my point. Just Go, Do, Be. David

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Brian, my point is - there's lots of places in the Southwestern section of Idaho. Sit at the dining room table with the Mrs. Determine safe "travel Distance," "travel Time" ie [less than 3 hours], etc. Water, running (streams) flat (lakes), Mtn's, Sage Brush; Animals - No Spiders, or snakes, etc. Within an hour of Boise - you can be in the Mountains, on either the middle or North Fork of the Boise River. Or out in the middle of a sage brush steepe near Pronghorn's. On the shores of Arrowrock Res. 2 1/2 hours of Boise - puts you into the Boulder-White Clouds, Craters of the Moon, Snake River drainage east of Twin Falls, deep into the Owyhees. Or even south and west of Baker City Oregon up at Sumpter. 3 1/2 hours from Boise puts you into the Gospel Humps wilderness, on the Shore of Wallowa Lake, into the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, down into the Steen Mountains. You get my point. Just Go, Do, Be. David
You make some excellent points. This is something I think I will do with the Mrs. I love the fact that we live in an area that's surrounded by so much wilderness.