• HTML tutorial

SwellRunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miramar Beach
Member #

Hey Everyone!

I'm about to start a Patreon account to be linked with our YouTube channel (3,400 subscribers as of today! woot woot!), and the way I'm going to set it up is different than most.

What I'm going to do is donate 50% of all donations to an overland-related charity, that will actually be voted on and chosen monthly by my audience.

This is how it'll work:
  • You'll submit charities to be included in the vote
  • Everyone will cast their vote (I have an online form thingy I use)
    • Submissions and voting will all have a deadline of course
  • Then whatever charity has the most votes will receive the donations for the next month
As I'm writing this, I'm thinking on down the line this could end up getting a little unfair at some point if one charity gets the most votes every month... I might work something else into it that allows a more fair rotation.

BUT, I have a problem!

I don't know of any overland related charities other than Team Overland (which I'd love to support through this) and I'd like some suggestions just to have a short list on tap.

Please let me know if you know of any actual valid 501(c)(3) charities that could benefit from this?

So... Why am I doing this?

Trust me, I'm no saint.

But, I've been incredibly blessed with so much success that I love to serve when and how I can. I have a successful business and make plenty enough money to support my family, no I'm not rich, haha, but we work hard and do just fine. The cost of truck parts, the cost of trips, the cost of production of content for our YouTube channel and Instagram account - it does all add up. So, to help we figured we'd start a Patreon account for our supporters to donate. However, being an entrepreneur and having been through the cycle of turning passion into business in the past, I'm trying to be really careful to ensure I don't suck the passion out of my overlanding hobby by making it too business'y. And knowing that NOTHING feels better than giving and serving, I figured the best way to do this was to combine generating a little bit of money to help fund future trips AND giving half of those donations to a charity to help others.

We have been fortunate to have grown a great and supportive audience that I think can do a lot of good. And I think this will additionally open up more opportunity for us to have adventure as a family!

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

Reactions: Steve