Looking for other participants for August in Ouray/Telluride, Rimrocker Trail, and Moab

• HTML tutorial

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Anybody up for some wheeling and overlanding in the San Juans, along the Rimrocker Trail, and some of the more famous trails in Moab? Ideally I'm looking to partner up with one or two OB community members with some serious experience, since I'm extremely new to Overlanding in a way beyond simple weekend car camping situations. I'm comfortable off-road and primitive camping, and my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk is very well equipped and ready. But to be honest, I don't have the experience and skills to pull this off solo, and it's a very hard no from my wife to doing this on our own.

I've watched a ton of videos, and we've been to Ouray a few years ago—and as passengers down Black Bear Pass and across Imogene and Yankee Boy, but I never drove those roads on my own and it's one of my life's ambitions to do so. So basically I have a very good idea of what I'm getting into and I know I'd be comfortable doing it, but to have one or two more experienced folks around in case we get in over our heads is the missing piece that I'm looking for.

I can go anytime in August, but we must be back home in New Jersey by 8/30 for an immovable Jury Duty summons for my wife.

My goals for this trip are to do Engineer Pass, Ophir, the Alpine Loop, Imogene, Poughkeepsie (or as much of it as my rig can handle), maybe Black Bear (only if I can go out with a highly experienced guide/spotter), and maybe some of the other lesser-known but equally scenic trails. I'm thinking 4 or 5 days, maybe? I'm good camping out or going back to a motel/hotel in the Ouray area for this. Next up, the Rimrocker Trail, east to west, with one or two nights overlanding, taking it slow and doing it right.

And finally Moab, and this is the part of the trip I'm least knowledgeable about. Hell's Revenge for sure, maybe Top Of The World, but I don't know what else a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk can do out there without risking severe damage and five-figure recovery bills. It's very capable, but it's no Rubicon. And like in the Ouray area, any less intense but equally stunning overlanding trails that we can spend some time falling in love with. I'm thinking 7 days give or take to do this area justice. This is bucket-list territory for me so if there's any way I can make this happen I want to do it. I'm quite flexible about the order we do this, and my only requirement is that our vehicle can be driven back home under its own power at the end of the journey.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
It might be helpful to get a bit more info on your Trailhawk and any mods beyond stock in order to be more helpful in knowing where to suggest you focus your trail choices. Your list above falls into the "mild to wild" zone a little, LOL.

But you are going to have a blast! Great stuff!

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Fair comment!

My WK2 has a Chief Products sump protection plate (1/4" steel), transmission plate, and tubular rock rails, OffRoad Animal lower front bumper, upgraded rated recovery points, nudge bar, and hidden winch mount with a Warn EVO 10,000# winch with synthetic line). Tires upgraded to Falken Wildpeak AT3s (265/65/18). Adding Baja Designs A-pillar ditch lights and a Baja Designs S8 10" light bar, with an Auxbeam switch panel in the next couple of weeks. Yet to be ordered (but will be in place before this trip) will be a Chief Products or Offroad Animal heavy-duty roof rack and a batwing awning. Using a Viair portable compressor, but I won a mountable compressor/tank kit and not sure if I should get this installed. Finding a place to mount it is a problem. I have a full slate of recovery gear (all unused at the moment since I've never been stuck on the trail) including rated soft shackles, D-rings, two snatch blocks, tow strap, tree saver, and kinetic rope, and two knockoff-cheapie traction boards. Front and rear recovery points in the Jeep.

Kitchen gear is pretty basic (we're not Instagram/Youtube gourmets), and I've chosen a ground tent over a RTT because we're both old and have bad knees, thus requiring getting up 2 or 3 times a night. For power, a 700WA Ecoflow River (solar panels to be acquired before the trip), Iceco JP40 12V fridge, and I think that's basically it. Ham (2m and 440, with an Extra-Class license so could bring HF if needed), and GMRS capable with a 50 W installed mobile radio. We do not have a Garmin InReach or similar device, and likely will not buy one since we're not experienced enough to go far off the grid on our own. If we ever plan to, that will be the first thing I buy.

As I said, we're never going to be YouTubers ourselves—if one or more of you are I'll happily mug the camera, but I warn you, I have a face made for radio :), as such we don't have heavy-duty camera gear or a drone, just a permanently-mounted front/rear facing dashcam (because New Jersey drivers are maniacs) and an old GoPro, plus our phones. I'm a GaiaGPS subscriber and I'm more or less comfortable with its use, or was before I put all the camping gear away last year.

I'm very flexible in terms of schedule, planning, etc (wife works full time and has jury duty as mentioned, but I'm a bum gentleman of leisure/semi-retired. I'm 60 YO, and have some physical limitations (no hiking for me, sadly) but I can adapt as best as possible. I'll confess I'm not great with tools and doing fixit stuff but I can muddle through in an emergency. I'm a computer guy and a writer/illustrator. Hope this helps a bit :)

Attachments