jhillage

Rank 0

Contributor I

New York
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hillage
Hey! So, my goal is to drive across the US. I want to go out and travel! But the one thing I can't seem to find is a good starting point. I currently live in Upstate NY. There are not a lot of trails around me. I wouldn't start with the US trip. I would start with a couple weekend trips...but I still can't find any maps, gps, or anything to help find trails. Any suggestions?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hey! So, my goal is to drive across the US. I want to go out and travel! But the one thing I can't seem to find is a good starting point. I currently live in Upstate NY. There are not a lot of trails around me. I wouldn't start with the US trip. I would start with a couple weekend trips...but I still can't find any maps, gps, or anything to help find trails. Any suggestions?
There are a lot of threads here on where to find dirt roads, etc. Try searching for “trailsoffroad.com” in the forums and you should turn up some good resources. Check out the back country discovery route for possible local trails and longer trip routes. May only be a West-ish coast thing.

Reactions: jhillage

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

PM'd you. Also in upstate NY. Depending on your location, I have spent hours driving and proofing trails that are on maps from the 70's and surprisingly, there are still some in existence. Given some are an overglorified dirt road, but some are serious trails.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Have you looked at the TAT?
Home

If your travel plans take you through Kansas as you travel across the country, I'd be happy to talk about points of interest and sites off the beaten path.

danger_zone

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Inglese
Member #

I grew up in Upstate NY and i've been a road warrior in my career. I would say, depending on the time of year, head East into the ADK's; Lake George, Placid and you can probably hit Montreal while you're up there. Plattsburgh is awesome during the late summer/ fall or when the semester starts if you want to be around a younger crowd!! Then onto VT and ME, then head south from there and be sure to hit the Blue Ridge PKWY on your way down. Gorgeous views and tons of trailhead points; and i've seen a bear with her 3 cubs within 10ft of the road!! It has several campsites along the trail. From there the Blue Ridge PKWY can either take you into Western NC, TN or you fork off and head south into SC, GA and FL. There is a National Park in SC and i've seen their service roads and they seem fairly easy. Unfortunately there isn't a definite answer on whether the better route is to continue West through the mid-West through TN or go through Mississippi and Alabama. But i'm not going to lie, there isn't much in the Gulf states unless you're on the shore lines. I did notice the Western side of the Country has much more public use lands and National Parks then the rest of the country so from there, it's your hearts desire. Route 90 connects Seattle all the way back to NYC passing by Yellowstone, from there head into Colorado then back up into Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit and then you know the rest to take you home. That would be the route I would take if I were starting in upstate NY.

The link below is a link of the National Park Service roads that are open to the public.