LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Looking to finally get a new cookset to add to my camping gear. Looking for recommendations and info on any new stuff that has come out in the last year that is really good. I am usually cooking for up to 8 people, so the larger the pots/pans the better. I would prefer a set that can nest to save space in my pelican case, and a set that is easy to clean. So far the sets that have caught my eye are the GSI glacier stainless camper cookset (large size), the Stanley even-heat camp pro cookset, and the GSI outdoors bugaboo base camper cookset. So far the Stanley camp pro cookset is my favorite. If anyone has used any of these sets, or if you have a set that you recommend, I would love to hear it.

I should also mention my setup: I use a tried and true Coleman 2 burner strove, and a small single burner camp stove as a back up. I Also own a cast iron griddle that fits perfectly over my two burner stove which I use for stuff like eggs, bacon, patty melts, stuff like that. What I'm looking for is a set containing a large frying pan, a large pot, and a smaller pot. modular strainers, and any other cookware would also be welcomed. I am usually cooking marinated chicken, steaks, pattymelts, breakfast burritos, and your standard breakfast fare, but I also will get down making some nice ramen, soups, stews, and I am Filipino, so we fry a lot of food, including lumpia, and other tpyes of meat. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, info or recommendations for 2021.

Reactions: Shahn and Misaruiz

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

The "camping cooksets" are nice because they stack together and store in a very small space, but I have not been able to find one that holds up and where the nonstick actually lasts. I did alot of shopping, but eventually decided to just go to a restaurant supply store and bought commercial quality cookware. I spent maybe $100 total on a set of frying pans, a small pot and a buttload of cooking utensils. While these definitely don't store as well as a camping cook set, they are so much tougher and actually hold up to use/abuse. I ended up going back and buying extra frying pans for my kitchen at home, they are that good.

Reactions: Shahn and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not sure why the drive to only get new stuff that's come out in the last year, but I can heartily recommend this great nesting set from Stansport, which I've had just over three years. I bought it for just the reason you want; cooking for a larger number of people. It's a great value, even having gone up eleven bucks since I bought it.

Stansport-7pcs.png

They nest REALLY well together, and I'm super impressed with the quality. I kept the fingered cardboard dividers to keep the pots separated when nested in my galley box so they don't rattle.

StansportNested.png
  • Made from chef quality 18/10 stainless steel, pans have heavy duty bottoms for even heat distribution
  • Includes: 10 inch fry pan, 4 quart , 3 quart, 2 quart and 1 quart pots, universal lid and 1 handle
I also ordered another handle from Stansport direct after getting my kit at Amazon.

I don't use the Stansport set a lot now, though only because I primarily solo-camp. At one time I was planning on hosting workshops and fishing parties and such, so wanted a good nesting set for cooking for larger groups. I'll bring it along if I think I might be entertaining more than three or four.

I mostly use my 10" sauté pan (described further below) and my Billy Pots/bushcraft gear for most meals when solo:

billy-pot-zebra-closed.png....billy-pot-zebra.png
Billy Pot from Zebra; the perfect bushcraft cookware. Hang it over a fire, put it on a grill, store food in it, has an inner pan. I have a couple sizes. They get a lot of use around camp and go with me on canoe and bike rides, too.

zebra-lunchpot-closed.png....zebra-lunchpot-open.png
Also from Zebra, though meant more for transporting and re-heating food than for cooking from scratch. For both Billy Pots and this, I chose sizes in which I can nest other cooking/eating gear and backpack stove, etc.

AND my Cook Partner 22" Griddle, which I adore, gets extreme use whenever I'm adventuring, alone or not. It's the best griddle I've ever used; whether home or away:

partnergriddle_8600-900.jpg
Like everything else lately, they've gone up a bit in price.

For sauté pans, skillets, I LOVE my pro-chef quality Vollrath pans from webstaurant.com (see below). I keep an 8" 10" and 12" with me all the time on the road.

Treated & seasoned right, these are as non-stick as anything else you'll find, though do not have teflon or crazy material to make it so. Super easy to clean too. Soon as I'm done sautéing or pan frying anything I put a little water in the pan as it cools. When I'm done eating, it pretty much just wipes clean. Then I spritz it with soapy water and rinse.

Last edited:

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I have that same issue with the non stick features wearing out on camp cookware. I also currently run regular pots and pans thay I also picked up from a Anolon restaurant cookware outlet sale.

While I love having real cookware, I've been trying to shrink my loadout and the restaurant style cookware takes up an entire case. I was hoping to find a set that was good on space. I don't have a need for a set that has to be from 2021, I just wanted to know if there is anything new that's come out this year that I haven't seen yet that I should be on the lookout for.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

If anyone is looking Stanley nesting Even Heat cookset on sale at Stanley website and REI. I have never used but people seem to rate them highly.

Cowdilly

Rank I

Contributor III

Unionville, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rich
I have the Stanley Even Heat Pro. I’ve been using it the last month on a cross country trip. I really like it so far. It is very good quality. It is built really well and feels robust. It does heat very evenly. The frying pan is on the smaller side so i purchased a larger Gsi pan as well. Overall I really like it.