Lookin for a spot...

• HTML tutorial

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Soooo...turns out I'm alone for the holiday. Was going to spend the evening with friends but they caught ab invite to Tahoe. C'est la vie, I can only make the best of it...

I'll do this by...OVERLANDING! However, I don't want to go to far, being alone and all. The coastline would be choice, as I'd like to have my turkey sammich with a view. I can't think of any open sites within range of me, where I could just show up and drop my stuff and camp...

SF Bay Area. Anyone got ideas?

Reactions: TRL EATR

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

That page I linked to shows it closed. I'll have to call the Ranger station

Ah. Road open, campground closed.

Last edited:

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

That page I linked to shows it closed. I'll have to call the Ranger station

Ah. Road open, campground closed.
There's primitive sites, no reservations. It was no where near the fire, so it should be fine. Can't recommend it enough.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

A few weeks ago, the website listed Prewitt Ridge Campsite closed until further notice along with the Old Coast HWY. A Ranger and local told me that they been meaning to close Prewitt Ridge to the public due to heavy impact to the campsites. This latest fire could give them a good reason to close that area off for good.
[emoji20]

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Nacimiento Rd. is open to travel all the way to Hunter Liggett but no camping or even hiking etc is allowed off the road or in the National Forest. South Coast Ridge Rd is closed. I thought south coast Ridge would be open too since it is far away from the Soberanes Fire but I was sorely mistaken. This sign was at the furthest south dirt turn off hwy 1 a month or so ago.IMG_2762.JPG
My guess is that there is still a lot of cleanup, research, investigation from the fires and opening up all of Big Sur would just populate the area to the point it impedes on the work to be done. Let's just hope all the lineancy about camping and fires etc doesn't change for the worse. Los Padres NF let's quite a bit of stuff slide when it comes to rules and enforcing.

If you're looking to camp dispersed around the Bay Area you're gonna have a hard time finding a spot that isn't risky. Campgrounds, I would shoot for Manresa SP, Sunset SP, Portola Redwoods SP, New Brighton State Beach, Plaskett Creek CG.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
A few weeks ago, the website listed Prewitt Ridge Campsite closed until further notice along with the Old Coast HWY. A Ranger and local told me that they been meaning to close Prewitt Ridge to the public due to heavy impact to the campsites. This latest fire could give them a good reason to close that area off for good.
[emoji20]
That sucks if it happens. Ive heard some crazy stories about Prewitt and hopefully they just close that area off but it would totally suck if all of South Coast Rd. Closed to camping.