Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

This is a good spot close to Missoula to get out and above the clouds from time to time. Endless FS roads in all directions, I followed an old wagon trail up and up till it ended the other day and set up a nice little camp area with my little one. It was absolutely amazing. You crisscross the MT/ID state line many times in this area and could travel what seems forever off-road here.

IMG_9526-2.JPG IMG_9541-2.JPG IMG_9562-2.JPG

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

This is a good spot close to Missoula to get out and above the clouds from time to time. Endless FS roads in all directions, I followed an old wagon trail up and up till it ended the other day and set up a nice little camp area with my little one. It was absolutely amazing. You crisscross the MT/ID state line many times in this area and could travel what seems forever off-road here.

View attachment 71480 View attachment 71481 View attachment 71482

How was the terrain over all? Any river access there?

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

How was the terrain over all? Any river access there?
There was some serious mud up top believe it or not, I went through too slow and had to winch out. For the most part its all very rocky FS roads, fallen/decaying trees as obstacles from time to time, the occasional huge rock to try to get around, some tight squeezes but it all depends on the particular FS road your on.

Good camping spots all over, and there is a section called "Elk Meadows" in the valley that has a little hunting camp kind of area, and there is a good creek access along that. Other than that there are scattered mountain lakes for water access in that area. You thinking about checking it out sometime?

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

There was some serious mud up top believe it or not, I went through too slow and had to winch out. For the most part its all very rocky FS roads, fallen/decaying trees as obstacles from time to time, the occasional huge rock to try to get around, some tight squeezes but it all depends on the particular FS road your on.

Good camping spots all over, and there is a section called "Elk Meadows" in the valley that has a little hunting camp kind of area, and there is a good creek access along that. Other than that there are scattered mountain lakes for water access in that area. You thinking about checking it out sometime?
I am interested. Always down to explore Montana. I have a full-size truck however so I have to be reserved when it comes to certain terrains.

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I am interested. Always down to explore Montana. I have a full-size truck however so I have to be reserved when it comes to certain terrains.
Well right now those roads are closed off by USFS until 4/1 the sign said last time I went up there which was a few weeks ago. Crazy amounts of snow and steep terrain, so it would be sketchy anyway this time of year.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Nice pics! Now that all the Hwy 12 construction is wrapped up, im going to bang around the 373 a bit this summer as well. Between last year's said construction, the 2017 fire closures, I haven't been able to roll up there.
It'd be a nice change up dropping down into MT that route in lieu of 12, filling growlers at Bitteroot Brewing and heading back on Magruder.

Reactions: EJD and FJ Montana

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Well right now those roads are closed off by USFS until 4/1 the sign said last time I went up there which was a few weeks ago. Crazy amounts of snow and steep terrain, so it would be sketchy anyway this time of year.
Makes sense. I’m planning on getting out this spring. Lolo and Glacier are first on my lists. For now I’m enjoying snowboarding up at Bridger bowl and ice fishing.

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Nice pics! Now that all the Hwy 12 construction is wrapped up, im going to bang around the 373 a bit this summer as well. Between last year's said construction, the 2017 fire closures, I haven't been able to roll up there.
It'd be a nice change up dropping down into MT that route in lieu of 12, filling growlers at Bitteroot Brewing and heading back on Magruder.
I'de be up for a trip through the Magruder Corridor sometime. Never been. Have to start a whole new thread on that route though! If planning on coming into MT through Lolo let me know sometime!

Makes sense. I’m planning on getting out this spring. Lolo and Glacier are first on my lists. For now I’m enjoying snowboarding up at Bridger bowl and ice fishing.
I'm a snowboarder too! Never been to Bridger, its mainly Snowbowl or Whitefish for me...unless were talking backcountry, then its endless here.

Reactions: britz

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
We go to western Montana a lot. All through out the region, actually. We did a large trip out of Superior last year. I’ll try to make sure you’re included on the Rally Points.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
L
I'de be up for a trip through the Magruder Corridor sometime. Never been. Have to start a whole new thread on that route though! If planning on coming into MT through Lolo let me know sometime!
Look up Sandpoint Steves thread of the 2017 trip 9-10 of us did. Fairly pic heavy. I met them down in Elk City, then hit up the Lolo Motorway west to get back to my cabin.

Reactions: EJD

Honeymooners

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kalispell, Montana, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Reese
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Honeymooners
We've done the Magruder a few times. We love it there. One year we were the first ones through/ About ran out of chainsaw gas due to down trees and there was still snow in the Horse Saddle area.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I want to do the Magruder this year. I’ve done the Lolo Motorway, and would do it again.